R9 390 for 4K?

TurkarYash
Go to solution Solved by DukeChocula,

Ivan is correct. But there's more to it.

390 is basically Ultra 1080 / Medium/High 1440p / Low/Medium 4k for games that are demanding like GTA 5. Source engine games are 4k60fps Ultra all day long (usually around 100fps+)

Overclocked and it's even a little better. 200mhz on a 390 is good for 5-10 frames in a lot of games.

Going further with what Nanosuits said, a 960 or 970 would be the sweet spot for you. 3.5/4 and yada yada. But it's still a decent card, the CUDA acceleration will makes things go so much faster. 390 is the better deal for gaming. 970 if video editing and gaming (low/medium 4k) and 960 if you don't mind running the panel at 1080/1440 for games. Which doesn't look as bad as you probably thing it does.

i was wondering if an R9 390 would be good enough to run a 4k monitor. Well NOT for gaming but for photo and video editing. I will also be using two other accessory monitors (1080 and 1050)

Or is 1440p a better option

It will be fine, but obviously it won't be enough for any demanding games. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

This is not my area, but i think you could even use something much less powerful if its just photo and video editing. Any who knows better should correct me please.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

nvidia is better...you get cuda acceleration for softwares like adobe premiere and photoshop...a GTX 960 is a good option for that...it can drive three 4K panels if you which too and will edit like a champ! (no GAMING at 4K though unless you play very not demanding titles on low settings! :))

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

As the others have said the 390 is overkill , a 960 would be a better fit

edit, I should add my wife uses a 970m which is around a 950 to do what you're looking to do

390 is basically Ultra 1080 / Medium/High 1440p / Low/Medium 4k for games that are demanding like GTA 5. Source engine games are 4k60fps Ultra all day long (usually around 100fps+)

Overclocked and it's even a little better. 200mhz on a 390 is good for 5-10 frames in a lot of games.

Going further with what Nanosuits said, a 960 or 970 would be the sweet spot for you. 3.5/4 and yada yada. But it's still a decent card, the CUDA acceleration will makes things go so much faster. 390 is the better deal for gaming. 970 if video editing and gaming (low/medium 4k) and 960 if you don't mind running the panel at 1080/1440 for games. Which doesn't look as bad as you probably thing it does.

--Intel Core i5-3570k (4.7GHz 1.325V)--16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer Red/Green (1860MHZ CL8 1.6V)--Reference GTX 970 (1635/2066)--Asus Sabertooth Z77---Antec HGC750---128GB Samsung 840 Pro---NZXT S340---Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014---Anker Gaming Mouse 8000DPI---

2 minutes ago, DukeChocula said:

You do no he doesn't care about gaming on it.

9 minutes ago, TurkarYash said:

Well NOT for gaming

The R9 390 should be very good due to its 8gb of vram for running 3 monitors

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Just now, ADZ_123_!"£ said:

You do no he doesn't care about gaming on it.

I game occasionally but not online or stuff like that

its just BO3 or arkham series for which I can always reduce the resolution(1440p-ish)

1 minute ago, ADZ_123_!"£ said:

The R9 390 should be very good due to its 8gb of vram for running 3 monitors

VRAM doesn't really matter for multimonitor. I don't see a noticeable difference in VRAM usage in 2D applications when running on a single monitor, or my triple monitor setup.

I didn't see the thing about gaming, until afterwards which is where I added the edit.

--Intel Core i5-3570k (4.7GHz 1.325V)--16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer Red/Green (1860MHZ CL8 1.6V)--Reference GTX 970 (1635/2066)--Asus Sabertooth Z77---Antec HGC750---128GB Samsung 840 Pro---NZXT S340---Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014---Anker Gaming Mouse 8000DPI---

Even if you occasionally game, I think you'll find Nvidia to offer better performance with your editing tasks. But that depends on if you're doing it professionally or just for fun. For fun the 390 would be fine.

Just now, TurkarYash said:

I game occasionally but not online or stuff like that

its just BO3 or arkham series for which I can always reduce the resolution(1440p-ish)

To be perfectly honest, if your budget can afford a 390 and the 4k monitor I'd go with that and later you can switch out your 1050p monitor for something a bit better and not have to worry if you want another 4k monitor or something because you'll have the card to do the job.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

2 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

To be perfectly honest, if your budget can afford a 390 and the 4k monitor I'd go with that and later you can switch out your 1050p monitor for something a bit better and not have to worry if you want another 4k monitor or something because you'll have the card to do the job.

The card(MSI) only has one DP so I don't think I can add another monitor (4k) if I wanna run at 60hz)

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Even if you occasionally game, I think you'll find Nvidia to offer better performance with your editing tasks. But that depends on if you're doing it professionally or just for fun. For fun the 390 would be fine.

So a 970 will be a better option? I was just impressed with 8gb VRAM.

and will a SLI setup(960) be better?

Just now, TurkarYash said:

So a 970 will be a better option? I was just impressed with 8gb VRAM.

and will a SLI setup(960) be better?

The VRAM is nice to have, but isn't going to make up for the lack of support from AMD with proper drivers which is the current problem with AMD cards. And in editing you want CUDA. I'm a computer science major, my wife does editing on a professional level. No one who uses their card professionally uses anything but Nvidia.

But, the 390 is a great card. For gaming and playing around with light editing it will suffice.

9 minutes ago, TurkarYash said:

The card(MSI) only has one DP so I don't think I can add another monitor (4k) if I wanna run at 60hz)

Now that I think about it, you should go with a 970. Current AMD cards dont have hdmi 2.0 for 4k @ 60 Hz and they need an adapter for that. A 970 would be cheaper because of that.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit