Schiit Uber Stack vs o2+odac (HD650)

DankDongles

Im looking between the o2+odac or the Schiit UBER stack for my hd650 because of price. The uber stack is basically the same price so its just a matter or preference. I hear a lot about both sides but I cant decide. I also hear people say the difference is indistinguishable. Which do you think is better?

Tried both of them and I haven't been able to tell a difference in the sound. Both options produce a really clear sound and both will be able to power the HD650s to destruction. 

Now, I chose to go the Schiit route becuase I like the option to upgrade the amp or DAC independently.

However, an ODAC+O2 combo will fill less deskspace and offer less cables to run. 

There really isn't a bad choice in this, as far as I can see.

Also, why do you want to go with the Uber option? Do you really need the extra inputs on the Modi and the pre-amp outs on the Magni?

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

6 minutes ago, Volbet said:

Tried both of them and I haven't been able to tell a difference in the sound. Both options produce a really clear sound and both will be able to power the HD650s to destruction. 

Now, I chose to go the Schiit route becuase I like the option to upgrade the amp or DAC independently.

However, and ODAC+O2 combo will fill less deskspace and offer less cables to run. 

There really isn't a bad choice in this, as far as I can see.

Also, why do you want to go with the Uber option? Do you really need the extra inputs on the Modi and the pre-amp outs on the Magni?

I love the aluminum finish 10x more but because I mainly hear people saying there is room to upgrade with more new inputs and features that come with the uber version. The uber magni amp is supposed to have better power and gain to it. Do you know the exact differences for the uber version vs the plain, i have mainly been going off people's words.

I also heard the Schiit stack has gain issues and heat problems compared the the o2+odac. Can you confirm or deny this?

2 hours ago, DankDongles said:

I love the aluminum finish 10x more but because I mainly hear people saying there is room to upgrade with more new inputs and features that come with the uber version. The uber magni amp is supposed to have better power and gain to it. Do you know the exact differences for the uber version vs the plain, i have mainly been going off people's words.

Hmm, I juts read up on the Magni. I though the only difference was pre-amp out ports and a difference in the gain stage. Well, teaches me to read up on my homework. 

The difference between the Uber and non-Uber versions  can be summed up like this:

Magni

• Pre-amp out: You have the ability to hook your setup up to powered speakers via the Uber's pre amp
  • Gain Stage: Basically, they claim that you'll have finer output level control with the Uber. Unfortunatly, I don't have a non-Uber on hand to test this claim out.
  • Power: They ciaim that the Uber has better designed power circuitry and there is a 1V difference on their high volt rail, but I doubt anyone can hear the difference.
  • Design: Apperanlty, the non-Uber doesn't have an aluminium top and the buttom is painted. The knop is also different.

The main selling point here (according to the objective standard that is me) would be the pre-amp out ports and secondly the design. I doubt yout'll be able to hear a difference with the improved gain stage and the better power circuitry.

Modi

• Inputs options: The regular Modi only has USB, while the Uber has USB, Coax and optical. 
  • Power: The Modi is USB powered. The Modi Uber has a seperate wall wart. This can actually make a difference, since some motherboards can't supply clean power over longer distances. However, this could easily be fixed with a powered USB hub.
  • Design: The same as the Magni

The main selling point here would be the extra inputs, and possibly the wall wart. But I would just use a powered USB hub for that. 

Regarding the upgrade argument: Sure, it is nice to have the extra inputs if you need them, but I don't think most people are going to need them,

Most people will use the Schiit stack with their computers and that means that they'll have access to a USB port. 

Now, I use the optical port for a Playstation 3, but most people don't have game consoles hooked up to the same screen they use for their desktop computer. 

2 hours ago, DankDongles said:

I also heard the Schiit stack has gain issues and heat problems compared the the o2+odac. Can you confirm or deny this?

I haven't experienced any of those problems. The Magni does get warm, but not anymore than you would expect from a solid state amp. 

Even after it has been on for several hours I could still pick it up by hand without feeling uncomfortable. 

The Modi barely gets warmer than room temperature. 

I also haven't experienced any gain issues, and I have used the Magni with everything from orthodynamic headphones to small IEMs. I have had no gain issues with any of them. 

Get the Magni 2 Uber on its own. Better value as you don't need a DAC but will probably benefit from the 1/4" jack. vs the 1/8" jack on the O2, which will require an adapter with the HD650.

4 minutes ago, SSL said:

Get the Magni 2 Uber on its own. Better value as you don't need a DAC but will probably benefit from the 1/4" jack. vs the 1/8" jack on the O2, which will require an adapter with the HD650.

O2 can get 1/4" jack, free custom art, gain setting, and built in battery for portable use. I'd say it's worth the extra money.

9 minutes ago, iShad said:

O2 can get 1/4" jack, free custom art, gain setting, and built in battery for portable use. I'd say it's worth the extra money.

Then please justify why you believe it is worth the extra money. The O2 is a stupid portable amp due to the size.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

Then please justify why you believe it is worth the extra money. The O2 is a stupid portable amp due to the size.

Pretty sure I listed them... and not really O2 is small enough to stack on a phone and about the same size as a Chord Hugo or use with a laptop without the power plug.

24 minutes ago, iShad said:

Pretty sure I listed them... and not really O2 is small enough to stack on a phone and about the same size as a Chord Hugo or use with a laptop without the power plug.

That's pretty bulky. Bring the Magni 2 (non Uber) into the mix and an upgraded O2 starts looking pretty expensive.

Would you recommenced the uber version of either the modi or Magni? Would getting an uber version of one and plain version of the other be beneficial if I will be using the HD650? I also have Bose Companion 2 desktop speakers; I don't know if those could utilize the pre-amp on the Magni Uber.

22 minutes ago, DankDongles said:

Would you recommenced the uber version of either the modi or Magni? Would getting an uber version of one and plain version of the other be beneficial if I will be using the HD650? I also have Bose Companion 2 desktop speakers; I don't know if those could utilize the pre-amp on the Magni Uber.

The Modi Uber is identical to the Modi except for the additional inputs. The Magni Uber has a better topology than the Magni; whether this makes an audible difference is not for me to say.

I own the Uber stack. If I could do it again I would skip the DAC and get a Lyr 2.

50 minutes ago, SSL said:

The Modi Uber is identical to the Modi except for the additional inputs. The Magni Uber has a better topology than the Magni; whether this makes an audible difference is not for me to say.

I own the Uber stack. If I could do it again I would skip the DAC and get a Lyr 2.

I've been really tempted by the Sennheiser HD 800s, and am wondering if the Lyr 2 would make for a nice pairing.

1 hour ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

I've been really tempted by the Sennheiser HD 800s, and am wondering if the Lyr 2 would make for a nice pairing.

No idea. People seem to like the SET OTL tube amps like the Valhalla for high Z headphones more; the Lyr is a hybrid so people seem to prefer it for planars.

On 2/7/2016 at 11:15 AM, Volbet said:

Hmm, I juts read up on the Magni. I though the only difference was pre-amp out ports and a difference in the gain stage. Well, teaches me to read up on my homework. 

The difference between the Uber and non-Uber versions  can be summed up like this:

Magni

• Pre-amp out: You have the ability to hook your setup up to powered speakers via the Uber's pre amp
  • Gain Stage: Basically, they claim that you'll have finer output level control with the Uber. Unfortunatly, I don't have a non-Uber on hand to test this claim out.
  • Power: They ciaim that the Uber has better designed power circuitry and there is a 1V difference on their high volt rail, but I doubt anyone can hear the difference.
  • Design: Apperanlty, the non-Uber doesn't have an aluminium top and the buttom is painted. The knop is also different.

The main selling point here (according to the objective standard that is me) would be the pre-amp out ports and secondly the design. I doubt yout'll be able to hear a difference with the improved gain stage and the better power circuitry.

Modi

• Inputs options: The regular Modi only has USB, while the Uber has USB, Coax and optical. 
  • Power: The Modi is USB powered. The Modi Uber has a seperate wall wart. This can actually make a difference, since some motherboards can't supply clean power over longer distances. However, this could easily be fixed with a powered USB hub.
  • Design: The same as the Magni

The main selling point here would be the extra inputs, and possibly the wall wart. But I would just use a powered USB hub for that. 

Regarding the upgrade argument: Sure, it is nice to have the extra inputs if you need them, but I don't think most people are going to need them,

Most people will use the Schiit stack with their computers and that means that they'll have access to a USB port. 

Now, I use the optical port for a Playstation 3, but most people don't have game consoles hooked up to the same screen they use for their desktop computer. 

I haven't experienced any of those problems. The Magni does get warm, but not anymore than you would expect from a solid state amp. 

Even after it has been on for several hours I could still pick it up by hand without feeling uncomfortable. 

The Modi barely gets warmer than room temperature. 

I also haven't experienced any gain issues, and I have used the Magni with everything from orthodynamic headphones to small IEMs. I have had no gain issues with any of them. 

What powered USB hub would be good for the Modi? I don't want to make a mistake and plug it in to a bad source that might be no better than a usb connection. And if I don't use the USB connection and use the powerhub, will the computer lose ability to control the DAC or does the DAC never need a computer to control or modify its settings?

Also is it too lop-sided if I use the Modi (Regular) with the valhalla 2 or will problems arise from such a difference is hardware?

21 minutes ago, DankDongles said:

What powered USB hub would be good for the Modi? I don't want to make a mistake and plug it in to a bad source that might be no better than a usb connection. And if I don't use the USB connection and use the powerhub, will the computer lose ability to control the DAC or does the DAC never need a computer to control or modify its settings?

Also is it too lop-sided if I use the Modi (Regular) with the valhalla 2 or will problems arise from such a difference is hardware?

You don't need a powered USB hub. As far as I'm concerned, you don't even need a DAC. Just get the Valhalla 2, which pairs nicely with the HD650. It's all about maximizing value; if you have $100 to waste on a DAC, put that into the headphone or the amp.

8 hours ago, DankDongles said:

I doubt you'll need a powered USB hub. It would only be neeeded if your motherboard's USB power suck (very unlikely) or you're running the cable over a very long distance.

And you never use a PC to control the DAC. If you can control it, that is done via the DAC itself.

There should be no problem mixing the Modi 2 with the Valhalla 2, since it's just a straight RCA connection. 

However, as said by SSL, you probably won't need a standalone DAC. Unless there is something completly wrong with our motherboard's onboard solution there isn't much reason to blow your money away on a dedicated DAC.