Zoom H1 question

njmyers3
Go to solution Solved by ALwin,
1 minute ago, njmyers3 said:

snip

The Zoom H1 doesn't provide phantom power.

So as long as the specifications on the microphone doesn't say that it requires phantom power it should be OK.  There are some mics that require power but the power comes from AA/AAA/9V batteries inserted into the mic, those should work with the Zoom H1 too.

If your mic comes with its own XLR to jack cable, and you just need to convert the jack at the end from the larger 1/4" to 1/8", yeah that adapter should work.  Or you can get a second cable that goes from XLR directly to a 1/8" (3.5mm) jack, in this case I recommend you get a balanced cable.

I spent the past 20 minutes googling for an answer and found nothing so maybe one of you can answer it. I want to be able to record my microphone (Similar to this one http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PDMIC58-Professional-Handheld-Microphone/dp/B003GEBGA0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454813223&sr=8-1&keywords=XLR+mic ) to a recorder. Am I able to get an adapter for the end of the microphone cable to convert it to a 3.5mm jack that the H1 uses? My goal is to only need the microphone, the cable, the adapter, and the H1. I don't want to need an external power supply. Thanks!

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

If it's a dynamic mic you just need an XLR - 3.5mm jack cable (get a balanced one) to connect to the Zoom H1.  If it's a condenser mic, it needs phantom or on-mic power.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

5 hours ago, ALwin said:

If it's a dynamic mic you just need an XLR - 3.5mm jack cable (get a balanced one) to connect to the Zoom H1.  If it's a condenser mic, it needs phantom or on-mic power.

I'm sorry, I'm not very good with audio and I want to double check before I buy an H1. I found my exact microphone here https://www.radioshack.com/products/super-cardioid-dynamic-mic?variant=5717725125 It says dynamic so it would work without any power besides the H1, right? And an adapter like this http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-3-5mm-Stereo-6-35mm-Adaptor/dp/B003R70OA4/ref=pd_sim_23_10?ie=UTF8&dpID=41WIqdQW-4L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=01AVCGVEXHW153M5P2JB

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

1 minute ago, njmyers3 said:

snip

The Zoom H1 doesn't provide phantom power.

So as long as the specifications on the microphone doesn't say that it requires phantom power it should be OK.  There are some mics that require power but the power comes from AA/AAA/9V batteries inserted into the mic, those should work with the Zoom H1 too.

If your mic comes with its own XLR to jack cable, and you just need to convert the jack at the end from the larger 1/4" to 1/8", yeah that adapter should work.  Or you can get a second cable that goes from XLR directly to a 1/8" (3.5mm) jack, in this case I recommend you get a balanced cable.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer