Ram Clearance with CPU Coolers

JRHE

Hello, I am working on making myself a workstation build with the 4790k as my powerhouse for a processor. I am also looking to give it a decent to beefy stable OC with still retaining a sub 40 decibel noise level. So I have gone and decided between two different coolers, either the Dark Rock Pro 3 by Be Quiet! or the NH-D15 by Noctua. I was wondering if in any two-fan configuration, I would be able to use higher-profile memory (Corsair Vengeance [Not LPX or anything, just standard Vengeance] series) or would I have to purchase lower-profile memory to work with. I would also like to know from experience, how much would 16GB of used 1600MHz RAM go for on an online market such as eBay if I were to have to buy Low-profile RAM for either cooler to work. If both coolers can support said functionality, which one would then just be the better choice to work with then, as from my current research they are nearly neck-and-neck. Thank you for your help.

Get teh D15, you can lift the fans up to have really high memory. 

I like my Dark Rock Pro 3. Use low profile though, my ram doesn't have much breathing room (low profile Adata.) It can get a little vibration-y and buzzy, but that is only if I stick my head to the window, where the vibration is being transferred to. Very very quiet, IMO the Dark Rock looks better, and has a removable aluminum cover plate so you can repaint it if you want.

I like good humans and good food

eh NH-D15 still has issues with the back fan (i have)

try the Cryorig R1 UNIVERSAL (as opposed to Ultimate) which has a thinner back fan to fit before the ram slots. 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Normal Corsair Vengeance will with under D15 fan easy. Pro version is too tall.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 hours ago, Heesleemer said:

eh NH-D15 still has issues with the back fan (i have)

What issues?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What issues?

Having to raise my rear fan slightly higher due to my ram. Granted my ram is low profile, so it doesn't matter, I'm just saying depending on motherboard lay out there may be clearance issues with high profile ram 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Just now, Heesleemer said:

Having to raise my rear fan slightly higher due to my ram. Granted my ram is low profile, so it doesn't matter, I'm just saying depending on motherboard lay out there may be clearance issues with high profile ram 

Did you add a third fan to the heatsink?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

19 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Did you add a third fan to the heatsink?

Unless I forgot how to count....

Resist!

1 hour ago, Heesleemer said:

Unless I forgot how to count....

The second fan should be between the fin towers and not get in the way of any ram.. 

@WoodenMarker. ...oh and underneath the fan closest to the Psu is the ram... Therefore with certain motherboards high profile ram will not work unless you put the fan up higher...

image.jpg

Resist!

6 minutes ago, Heesleemer said:

@WoodenMarker. ...oh and underneath the fan closest to the Psu is the ram... Therefore with certain motherboards high profile ram will not work unless you put the fan up higher...

Oh, you're referring to the front or first fan in this case. There isn't an official rule but most people would count them in order from intake to exhaust. 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Oh, you're referring to the front or first fan in this case. There isn't an official rule but most people would count them in order from intake to exhaust. 

Apologies for the miscommunication, 

Resist!