Is this a good camera

Danielh90

Hello since I have started to take sky/things photos with my phone I would like to upgrade to a better camera. Is this a good camera? Canon EOS-1D Mark II 8.2MP Digital SLR Camera

How much are you paying for it?  It was a good camera back in its day, however the APS-H crop factor will mean you will have to buy FF lenses, because Canon doesn't manufacture APS-H crop factor lenses.  No one does.

You might be better off getting a Canon EF-S (APS-C) crop camera system or if you really need a larger sensor then get a FF camera like a Canon 6D or Nikon D610 as a starter.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I see a used 1DmkII going for around $700 on eBay. For that price, I would rather get a current entry level DSLR/MILC.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

6 minutes ago, ALwin said:

How much are you paying for it?  It was a good camera back in its day, however the APS-H crop factor will mean you will have to buy FF lenses, because Canon doesn't manufacture APS-H crop factor lenses.  No one does.

You might be better off getting a Canon EF-S (APS-C) crop camera system or if you really need a larger sensor then get a FF camera like a Canon 6D or Nikon D610 as a starter.

Not sure just looking at cameras that look good. and wondering if thats a good camera if you have any recommendations let me know 

1. What kind of photography do you want to do?
  2. How important is being able to record video with a photography camera?
  3. What camera equipment and/or accessories do you already own?
  4. What do you consider your skill level when it comes to photography?
  5. What is your budget?

4 minutes ago, ALwin said:
  1. What kind of photography do you want to do?
  2. How important is being able to record video with a photography camera?
  3. What camera equipment and/or accessories do you already own?
  4. What do you consider your skill level when it comes to photography?
  5. What is your budget?

I would like to take videos and take photos but not sure what camera to pick. 

14 minutes ago, Danielh90 said:

I would like to take videos and take photos but not sure what camera to pick. 

That's like telling me "I'd like to eat some fruits but I don't know what to eat."

You're not telling me anything about what you actually want.  There are various reasons for buying a camera to take photos and record videos.  What are your reasons, in detail?

1 hour ago, ALwin said:

That's like telling me "I'd like to eat some fruits but I don't know what to eat."

You're not telling me anything about what you actually want.  There are various reasons for buying a camera to take photos and record videos.  What are your reasons, in detail?

1.Sky/People/Things (Also maybe vloging) 

2.Kinda important

3.None

4.Not sure one of my photos with my camera http://imgur.com/BAQRPqw

5.not sure right now