What's a good low-mid price range fan controller?

Go to solution Solved by Tmt97,
12 minutes ago, MattShnoop said:

After you gave me this, I did some more snooping around and found out that a hardware solution isn't even needed... If I have two fans plugged into my motherboard at the same time, I can use software like Speedfan to control it. But, if I have a splitter, the software will control them at the same speed, which is fine for an intake-outtake combo.

Lifehacker post that explained it all to me

Yeah, so a splitter would work fine, with software/BIOS doing the controlling.

Although I'm not sure how well this one works, here's a more premium less sketchy version of the thing you sent me.

Newegg Link

Now I just have to find a splitter either lying around, because I think I've seen one recently... If not, I'll have to buy one for cheap on amazon.

Well heres a nice cheap splitter that I'm buying too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E9ZQBU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thats a nice alternative btw. I might consider it for myself, although it is very expensive.

Hey, I have an M-ATX motherboard, and I don't have enough headers to run all of the case fans that I have. My friend suggested that I buy a fan controller, and it sounded like a good idea. I don't have too much money (to spend), and I also figured I should actually use the LTT forums account I made months ago, so I'm asking here for suggestions.

Low-mid price-range suggestions.  

PC Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING x570-PLUS (Wi-Fi) ATX AM4

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 CL18

Graphics: ASUS GTX 1080

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

PSU: Corsair RM750 (2019)

Displays: ASUS VS247 & ASUS VH169

What fans are you using ?

As you may be able to get away with just some molex to 3 pin fan spliters of their quiet 

CPU:X4 760k GPU:Gtx 960 4gb RAM:Hyperx Fury 2x4GB PSU:Evga 500w Mobo:Msi A78m-e35 Case:Nzxt s340 Storage: 120gb 840evo,  1TB Wd blue

Go ahead, quote me !

Just now, Dan Q said:

What fans are you using ?

Just the stock fans that came in my case, the Carbide 300R.

I don't have a spectacular computer, but I'm planning on upgrading it soon, hence why the motherboard can't handle more than the one rear fan. Poor planning on my part.

PC Specs

Ahh ok. Well if your on a tight budget i can recommend this cheap one from China. Ive had two of them (To use in different systems not because one failed) and they work well.

One caveat is the blue leds on the front of the unit .

http://www.amazon.com/HDE%C2%AE-3-5-Panel-Speed-Controller/dp/B006UFMH3W/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1454803515&sr=8-7&keywords=fan+controller

CPU:X4 760k GPU:Gtx 960 4gb RAM:Hyperx Fury 2x4GB PSU:Evga 500w Mobo:Msi A78m-e35 Case:Nzxt s340 Storage: 120gb 840evo,  1TB Wd blue

Go ahead, quote me !

Thank you for your suggestion, but considering how much of a noob I am, is there an automatic solution? Something that I can tweak with software or something, then have it change my fans on how hard of a load it's using?

That request might be one of two things: 1. Not a real thing, or 2. way out of my budget range.

PC Specs

Just now, Tmt97 said:

I think what your looking for is a splitter.

Oh. Duh. My friend suggested a fan controller, and I know he's generally more knowledgeable about computers, so I stuck with his words and was looking for a controller. 

PC Specs

51 minutes ago, MattShnoop said:

Oh. Duh. My friend suggested a fan controller, and I know he's generally more knowledgeable about computers, so I stuck with his words and was looking for a controller. 

Yea, I found out the hard way too. Fan controller implies you control it, with like knobs and stuff that you can turn to change the speed. That's cool I guess if your a control freak, but I'm getting the impression that, like me, you would rather the computer just figure out what speed the fans need to be automatically.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

1 minute ago, Tmt97 said:

Yea, I found out the hard way too. Fan controller implies you control it, with like knobs and stuff that you can turn to change the speed. That's cool I guess if your a control freak, but I'm getting the impression that, like me, you would rather the computer just figure out what speed the fans need to be automatically.

Exactly it. Something that would be cool would be something that I can mount to the front of my case in a spare slot with a screen that'll tell me temperatures and fan speeds. Not sure how hard-to-find/expensive that would be.

PC Specs

Exactly it. Something that would be cool would be something that I can mount to the front of my case in a spare slot with a screen that'll tell me temperatures and fan speeds. Not sure how hard-to-find/expensive that would be.

Well thats an interesting request, its something I'd like too.  Basically your asking for features that are typical of fan controllers, but the function of a fan splitter. I suppose it might be called an automatic fan controller? This think looks kinda like what your describing. Its more of a fan controller, but it detects temperature to change the speed. I'm guessing you plug it into molex for power, and theres a seperate thermometer feeding it data. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA27C3TR0550&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Tools+-+Other+Hand-_-9SIA27C3TR0550&gclid=Cj0KEQiA0Na1BRDlkqOcyczng5cBEiQAnEDa2ND3TymCYirjTxx9ihzNUZ3ZCz6iSjIW94k4Th8lAQcaAh6N8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

No reviews for it or anything though... Tell me if you try it out. xD if its good, ill buy it too.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

28 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Well thats an interesting request, its something I'd like too.  Basically your asking for features that are typical of fan controllers, but the function of a fan splitter. I suppose it might be called an automatic fan controller? This think looks kinda like what your describing. Its more of a fan controller, but it detects temperature to change the speed. I'm guessing you plug it into molex for power, and theres a seperate thermometer feeding it data. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA27C3TR0550&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Tools+-+Other+Hand-_-9SIA27C3TR0550&gclid=Cj0KEQiA0Na1BRDlkqOcyczng5cBEiQAnEDa2ND3TymCYirjTxx9ihzNUZ3ZCz6iSjIW94k4Th8lAQcaAh6N8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

No reviews for it or anything though... Tell me if you try it out. xD if its good, ill buy it too.

After you gave me this, I did some more snooping around and found out that a hardware solution isn't even needed... If I have two fans plugged into my motherboard at the same time, I can use software like Speedfan to control it. But, if I have a splitter, the software will control them at the same speed, which is fine for an intake-outtake combo.

Although I'm not sure how well this one works, here's a more premium less sketchy version of the thing you sent me.

Newegg Link

Now I just have to find a splitter either lying around, because I think I've seen one recently... If not, I'll have to buy one for cheap on amazon.

PC Specs

Newegg Link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E9ZQBU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thats a nice alternative btw. I might consider it for myself, although it is very expensive.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

11 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Hey, I ended up buying this one.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812162026&_ga=1.25464570.674586921.1454272057

I had to find one on a Canadian website, and this was the closest I could find to the one you sent me. Thanks though!

PC Specs

Hey, I ended up buying this one.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812162026&_ga=1.25464570.674586921.1454272057

I had to find one on a Canadian website, and this was the closest I could find to the one you sent me. Thanks though!

Thats a 4 pin splitter fyi... Not sure if you intended to buy that or not. In case you didn't know the fan headers come in both 3 and 4 pin versions which arn't intercompatible. Might wanna check which your splitting if your not sure.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Just now, Tmt97 said:

Thats a 4 pin splitter fyi... Not sure if you intended to buy that or not. In case you didn't know the fan headers come in both 3 and 4 pin versions which arn't intercompatible. Might wanna check which your splitting if your not sure.

Oh, crap.... Yeah.... Good thing it was only $7... I'll go check, hang on.

PC Specs

omg, dammit! Thank you so much for warning me, my order has been cancelled. I had no idea there was different types of fan connectors. I'll look harder next time. Thanks! ;) 

I just about had a hard attack when you mentioned it... I'm so lucky they let me send in a cancel request. The only question is if I'll get my money back to buy another one....

PC Specs

I hope so. Sorry I didn't mention it sooner. I can't imagine they would let you cancel it if they didn't intend to refund you though. That wouldn't make any sense lol.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

2 hours ago, Tmt97 said:

I hope so. Sorry I didn't mention it sooner. I can't imagine they would let you cancel it if they didn't intend to refund you though. That wouldn't make any sense lol.

Aha, succes! I just got an email from PayPal saying that the transaction didn't go through. Thanks for all your help, I'll be sure to be more careful with fans next time. 

I never thought to check for compatibility simply because I had no idea fans could have multiple header types. 

PC Specs