Top Or Side Mounted Fan?

Hi guys,

New here, so first off - hello!

Anyway, I've got a question about fan orientation. I've got an extra fan in my Corsair Carbide C200 case and I'm wondering if I should be putting the fan in the top or on the side of the case (to blow the hot air away from the GPU).

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Motherboard: Asus P8Q77-M LGA1155 RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Case: Corsair Carbide 200R Storage: Corsair Force LS 60GB SSD, Corsair Corsair Neutron Series GTX 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM PSU: Corsair CX750 Monitor: Acer G245Hbmid 24.0" Cooling: Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler, 2x Corsair 200mm Fans Keyboard: Razer DeathStalker Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma Sound: Logitech G430 Headset 

PCPartPicker: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/cbrenninkmeyer/saved/sK9Pxr

Best thing is to stick it in and try it... find which suits your needs most... Shouldn't take more than 30 mins with 2 10 min test runs of a bench to give you the results. :)

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Good idea, haha its obvious but never thought of that...

This is going to sound dumb, but I've actually never run a test so which one and how?

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Motherboard: Asus P8Q77-M LGA1155 RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Case: Corsair Carbide 200R Storage: Corsair Force LS 60GB SSD, Corsair Corsair Neutron Series GTX 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM PSU: Corsair CX750 Monitor: Acer G245Hbmid 24.0" Cooling: Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler, 2x Corsair 200mm Fans Keyboard: Razer DeathStalker Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma Sound: Logitech G430 Headset 

Well, in my opinion, there is a lot of things to account for. Whether the fan fits on the side, for example, mine doesn't fit on because of my cooler. Also which CPU or GPU is closer to thermal throttling. And in my experiences I find opening my case with a fan on the side can be annoying at times because I have to be a bit more careful. 

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

Anything that will pit the system under load... I'd do something like Aida 64 and furmark or similar so CPU and GPU are being pushed.

This is Luke doing some case fan testing...

9 minutes ago, VinsinityKT said:

Well, in my opinion, there is a lot of things to account for. Whether the fan fits on the side, for example, mine doesn't fit on because of my cooler. Also which CPU or GPU is closer to thermal throttling. And in my experiences I find opening my case with a fan on the side can be annoying at times because I have to be a bit more careful. 

At the moment I have a H60 cooler on the CPU so I'm hoping that shouldn't be too bad for thermal throttling. I'm going to run some tests like Dzzope suggested and see which gets hotter but from the brief interaction I've had with my new 970 in my system that's the biggest source for heat.

8 minutes ago, Dzzope said:

Anything that will pit the system under load... I'd do something like Aida 64 and furmark or similar so CPU and GPU are being pushed.

This is Luke doing some case fan testing...

Yea I've watched the video already but he didn't mention side fans (that I heard anyway) - I'll do the tests and check whether the fan fits on the side in the first place and see what happens...

Yea, was more to show what he did for testing.... kinda guide..

Just now, Dzzope said:

Yea, was more to show what he did for testing.... kinda guide..

Yea, I'll watch it again and do this the LTT ways - with some testing. Thanks for reminding me of it!

It helps us if you list how your current config is. Anyway, if front has space for more intake fans, put it there. Side exhaust will lower GPU temps by max 5C.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

55 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

It helps us if you list how your current config is. Anyway, if front has space for more intake fans, put it there. Side exhaust will lower GPU temps by max 5C.

Well as I said originally its in a Corsair Carbide 200r, so there's one slot for a fan in the front, 1 for at the back, 1 on the bottom, 2 on top and 2 on the side. At the moment I have a fan in the front as the intake, a H60 radiator & fan on the back slot so was thinking of getting the other fan as an exhaust. A diagram said top was best for exhaust but I just wanted to check if side by the GPU was any use. 

As Dzzope said, I just need to do some testing.

33 minutes ago, charliesmbdy said:

Well as I said originally its in a Corsair Carbide 200r, so there's one slot for a fan in the front, 1 for at the back, 1 on the bottom, 2 on top and 2 on the side. At the moment I have a fan in the front as the intake, a H60 radiator & fan on the back slot so was thinking of getting the other fan as an exhaust. A diagram said top was best for exhaust but I just wanted to check if side by the GPU was any use. 

As Dzzope said, I just need to do some testing.

Oh, ok. You could also have two fans on side, one exhausting above GPU and another intaking for CPU. Or have top as intakes if you feel need for more fresh air for rad.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Right now I'm running the extra on top as the exhaust and we'll see how she runs. Thanks for the help though!