pirate group self-suspends to measure impact on sales for one year

zMeul
10 minutes ago, Linusinium said:

On topic: I get what they are trying to say. Even if Denuvo proves to be unbreakable and is featured in every game, it won't help sales.

thing is though they can't really prove if their little year break has an impact or not, same way we can't really prove piracy has an effect on sales.. its plain to see for you and i.. but obviously not for the pirates!

i just pre ordered dying light the following! at least I'm sleeping easy tonight!!

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

27 minutes ago, Exty said:

Piracy is theft, downloading a pirated software is not.

You are aware that you just said "Piracy is theft, piracy is not theft" in the same sentence right? Can you explain your logic here because I'm not following. Do you mean something like "stealing goods is theft, receiving stolen goods knowingly is not theft"?

-KuJoe

Its not an experiment to measure sales numbers at all. What it is is an admission that Denuvo has beaten them.

First Fifa 16, then JC3 and now ROTR, they know their time is up and within a year there will be no cracking games as everyone will start using Denuvo now they've seen what it can do.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

meh, doesn't affect me. Will still pirate anyway

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

there hasn't been a single company in the software, music or game industry to provide actual data that piracy affects sales - ever ;)

the companies that vanished through the years did so because of shitty business decisions - adhering to fantasy release dates and other shit like that

do you recall Troika Games and their Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines game? I pre-ordered that sucker; did me purchasing it prevented Troika to go under? no it did not

why? because the game was released in a sub-par state

http://www.train-fever.com/2015/11/behind-the-scenes-4-sales/

here you go

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

piracy is cracking software and sharing it with everyone, downloading that software is not piracy

Simply put my issues with current media companies is that they do things that are against the law to enforce a law they basically wrote themselves, as for game companies I hate DRM and will only buy a game if it's on GOG simply because pirated copies of most steam games are superior, and don't even get me started on U-play, also I don't trust most companies to make games I want to pay for anymore, currently it's down to CD Projekt Red, Nintendo, and some indie devs like Yacht Club.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, Exty said:

piracy is cracking software and sharing it with everyone, downloading that software is not piracy

Actually the act of cracking would come under copyright theft, not piracy. Piracy would be the act of downloading the pre cracked content.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

42 minutes ago, kelvindeschutter said:

bullcrap - you have to prove those people would've bought the game anyways; the fact that even after they released a no DRM version on GoG nothing changed, just proves that they would've not

Just now, zMeul said:

bullcrap - you have to prove those people would've bought the game anyways

And you also have to prove whether anyone of them bought it after downloading it too.

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Actually the act of cracking would come under copyright theft, not piracy. Piracy would be the act of downloading the pre cracked content.

downloading things is not piracy , sharing them is.

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

bullcrap - you have to prove those people would've bought the game anyways

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

And you also have to prove whether anyone of them bought it after downloading it too.

you can altleast make up from it how much piracy there is for a game ofcourse i know its almost impossible to find out how much of the people that pirated it accurately buy it

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Its not an experiment to measure sales numbers at all. What it is is an admission that Denuvo has beaten them.

First Fifa 16, then JC3 and now ROTR, they know their time is up and within a year there will be no cracking games as everyone will start using Denuvo now they've seen what it can do.

It can be cracked, just not easily, no one has interest in fifa 16 since previous versions were better, JC3 has more interest and will push the forward progress on cracking, now idk what ROTR is so I can't comment on that one, but yes these guys are washed up so they are essentially giving up.

Oh Rise of the Tomb raider, yeah people will have interest to crack that one as well.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, Exty said:

Oh really. So explain the people who've ended up in court explaining why they downloaded a movie to a judge then.

1 minute ago, Exty said:

OK so should we use the word theft instead? Would that make you feel better?

-KuJoe

Just now, kelvindeschutter said:

you can altleast make up from it how much piracy there is for a game ofcourse i know its almost impossible to find out how much of the people that pirated it accurately buy it

you take the example of the new Tomb Raider - SQ made a big splash how successful the launch was, but where are the numbers ?! oh yeah ... SQ neglected to show them

why? because it's most likely they show no tangible increase in units sold to the 2013 release

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

OK so should we use the word theft instead? Would that make you feel better?

Its not theft as theft implies a loss of tangible property. Its piracy.

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Oh really. So explain the people who've ended up in court explaining why they downloaded a movie to a judge then.

Downloading things is not illegal you can download it and tell them that you didn't use it. and they will have to prove somehow that you did.

Just now, Exty said:

Downloading things is not illegal you can download it and tell them that you didn't use it. and they will have to prove somehow that you did.

Oh wow, you couldn't contradict yourself anymore if you tried.

If its not illegal then why would you end up in a situation where you were explaining it to someone?

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Oh wow, you couldn't contradict yourself anymore if you tried.

If its not illegal then why would you end up in a situation where you were explaining it to someone?

Because here:

the unauthorized use or reproduction of another's work.
plural noun: piracies
"software piracy"

See where it says USE?

2 minutes ago, Exty said:

Because here:

the unauthorized use or reproduction of another's work.
plural noun: piracies
"software piracy"

See where it says USE?

Except by the very act of downloading you're creating a reproduction of the original on your computer. You don't have to use it in order to reproduce it.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Except by the very act of downloading you're creating a reproduction of the original on your computer. You don't have to use it in order to reproduce it.

Downloading isnt reproducing , Uploading it is.... I am done talking to you

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

you take the example of the new Tomb Raider - SQ made a big splash how successful the launch was, but where are the numbers ?! oh yeah ... SQ neglected to show them

why? because it's most likely they show no tangible increase in units sold to the 2013 release

indeed you know when a game is not as successful as they have hoped when they don't release the sales

12 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

It is considered illegal but is almost impossible to prove or get convicted on unless you take a plea bargin, so yes you are right but generally only uploaders are targeted as they are easier targets to prove misdeeds.

Also jury nullification is a thing.

Just now, AresKrieger said:

It is considered illegal but is almost impossible to prove or get convicted on unless you take a plea bargin, so yes you are right but generally only uploaders are targeted as they are easier targets to prove misdeeds.

Yes but just because you don't get caught doesn't mean you didn't break the law.

-KuJoe