What is an alternative for 99% alcohol?

Sandwich121
Go to solution Solved by C0LL0SS0S,

if you have 75% its still fine, not sure about nail polish remover since there may be some things in it that you don't want on a CPU

Hi, 

I just ordered my CPU Cooler and a tube of arctic silver 5 paste with it, however my cpu already has the stock paste on it. 

I know that inus uses 99% but I don't have that in my household.

I have Vodka & Nail Polish remover, as well as some other cleaning products.

What can I use instead of 99%?

Thanks!

if you have 75% its still fine, not sure about nail polish remover since there may be some things in it that you don't want on a CPU

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

I've used 70% repeatedly.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I used methylated spirits and it worked fine, no tissue however. And don't get it on your motherboard pins either

I can't tell if anythings gone wrong, been a few months and it hasn't played up since

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

9 minutes ago, Sandwich121 said:

Hi, 

I just ordered my CPU Cooler and a tube of arctic silver 5 paste with it, however my cpu already has the stock paste on it. 

Thanks!

DO NOT USE OTHER THINGS

70% works fine

vodka does not

just go get some 70%

40 minutes ago, Sandwich121 said:

Hi, 

You could use 70% to 100%

otherwise most other things are going to leave residue that you don't want

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

The difference between doing it properly with 99% alcohol and doing it with a simple paper towel is around 0°C on idle and 0°C under load.  The alcohol simply makes it a bit easier to clean it off. 

Oh, and yes, it'll clean out those miniscule imperfections if you're really that OCD or naive enough to think that it makes a difference.

53 minutes ago, Sandwich121 said:

Hi, 

Thanks!

brake cleaner

carburetor cleaner

both work awesomely

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

5 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

The difference between doing it properly with 99% alcohol and doing it with a simple paper towel is around 0°C on idle and 0°C under load.  The alcohol simply makes it a bit easier to clean it off. 

Oh, and yes, it'll clean out those miniscule imperfections if you're really that OCD or naive enough to think that it makes a difference.

I gotta second this. I haven't bothered to buy any proper alcohol bottle to clean off the thermal paste. I've wiped it clean with a paper towel, sometimes just a microfiber cloth, temps are just fine and haven't had any issues.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

7 minutes ago, Sandwich121 said:

Thanks everyone, will look into 70%!

Yep any thing that's just standard rubbing alcohol will work well without much worry. I've used acetone (also contained in nail polish remover often) and the risk there is that it will eat through your motherboard if you do accidentally spill it on the board or something. 

What you want is just a substance that evaporates and leaves no residue (vodka leaves potato junk ect.) and it's nice to have a substance that won't eat your components even if you majorly F**K up, so rubbing alcohol with a coffee filter it is (again you don't want to leave paper towel bits down there ect). 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress