Feb 5, 2016 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

Soundcloud Link:

Germany’s Fusion Reactor Creates Hydrogen Plasma in World First

Source 1: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540542-germanys-fusion-react OP: givingtnt

Source 2: http://www.iflscience.com/physics/germanys-fusion-reactor-creates-hydro

Source 3: http://www.iflscience.com/technology/new-nuclear-reactor-could-hold-secr

Experimental Fusion Reactor Picture

• feat achieved using their experimental reactor, Wendelstein 7-X

• have managed to sustain a hydrogen plasma

• key step to creating workable nuclear fusion

• clean, near-limitless source of energy

• controlled nuclear fusion replicates the process that powers the sun

• several nations are working to make breakthroughs in this field

• this marks the second time Germany has successfully fired up its experimental stellarator fusion reactor

• last December, they managed to suspend a helium plasma

• to initiate fusion process, extremely high temps of around 100 million degrees Celsius has to be reached within the reactor

• at these temps, atoms of hydrogen become energetically excited and form a plasma cloud

• in order to be sustained, it must not touch the cold walls of the reactor

• 425 tonnes of superconducting, super-cooled magnets are used to keep it suspended

• at high ignition temps, along with an effect called “quantum tunneling”, hydrogen particles begin to collide and fuse

• releasing energy and forming heavy elements

• 16-meter-long fusion reactor is one of the largest in the world

• took 19 years and $1.1 billion to complete

• not designed to produce energy, but to recreate conditions found deep within the sun

Microsoft is testing underwater Data Centers

Source 1: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/538446-microsoft-is-testi OP: AluminumTech

Source 2: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/01/technology/microsoft-plumbs-oceans-depths-to-

Microsoft Research with “Leona Philpot”, prototype Picture

Picture #2

• effort code-named “Project Natick”

• idea came from research paper written in 2014 by several Microsoft data center employees

• researchers at Microsoft believe the future of data centers may be under the sea

• have tested a self-contained prototype data center

• can operate at hundreds of feet below surface of ocean

• eliminates cost of air-conditioning

• underwater could help make web services faster

• closer proximity to users

• could answer energy demands

• Microsoft considering pairing system with a turbine or tidal system to generate electricity

• may lead to strands of steel tubes linked by fiber optic cables on the seafloor

• another idea is to suspend containers shaped like jelly beans beneath surface

• to capture ocean current and generate electricity

• problems include environmental concerns, technical issues, production

• Microsoft thinks if they mass produced capsules, they could shrink production time from 2 years to 90 days

Google plans to beam 5G internet from solar drones

Source 1: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/537881-google-plans-to-bea OP: Dobbsjr

Source 2: http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/30/google-project-skybender/

• Project Skybender

• aims to deliver 5G internet from solar drones

• Mountain View has reportedly begun experimenting with millimeter wave-based internet in Virgin Galactic’s Gateway to Space terminal at Spaceport America, New Mexico, USA

• Millimeter waves are believed to be capable of transmitting data 40 times faster than LTE

• could become the technology behind 5G internet

• DARPA began working on an internet connection based on it back in 2012

• Skybender currently using an “optionally piloted aircraft (OPA) called Centaur and a solar-powered drone called Solara 50 made by Titan Aerospace

• bought in 2014 by Google

• Google has permission from FCC to test the drone-internet system in New Mexico until July

Upgrade NOW or Upgrade TONIGHT: How Microsoft Aggressively Pushed Windows 10 to Everyone

Source 1: http://www.howtogeek.com/241329/upgrade-now-or-upgrade-tonight-how-micro

• this week, Microsoft made Windows 10 a “recommended update” that will automatically download for many Win 7 and 8.1 users

• push to upgrade began with the “Get Windows 10” application, known at GWX

• rolled out through Windows Update, auto installed before Win10 even released

• GWX left a system tray icon that encourage users to reserve

• GWX notification became pushier and pushier over time

• brings up a big window that pops up with “Start Download Now” and “Start Download, Upgrade Later”

• It’s now a recommended update on purpose, after being a recommended update by mistake

• Oct 2015, the upgraded the update to recommended with no warning

• some people found they couldn’t opt out, and could only reschedule it

• Microsoft said it was a mistake, and reclassified the update

• AFTER, it had already downloaded onto many peoples machines

• Microsoft announced it would become a recommended update in February

• IT DID BECOME A RECOMMENDED UPDATE IN FEBRUARY, 2016

• Microsoft says you should disable automatic updates if you don’t want Win10

• Microsoft announced Jan 15th that Win 7, 8.1 “aren’t supported” on Intel’s Skylake Hardware

• Win 10 upgrade notifications are arriving on business PC’s too

The dad who spent a night in jail after confiscating his daughter’s iPhone

Source 1: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/539631-if-your-parents-take-a OP: AluminumTech

Source 2: http://mashable.com/2016/01/27/dad-confiscates-iphone-misdemeanor/?utm

• dispute over an iPhone 4 escalated into an arrest, jury trial and a potential civil rights suit

• Texas father Ronald Jackson

• confiscated his daughter’s cell phone as punishment for sending “inappropriate” texts back in 2013

• found not guilty Tuesday

• going to file a complaint for civil rights violation

• case dates back to Sep 2013, when Ronald Jackson was charged with property theft after taking his daughters iPhone 4

• fathers lawyer said the 12-year-old daughter was “trying to organize an attack” on another minor

• few hours after he grabbed the phone, the police showed up

• mother who owned the phone, said “you can’t take someone’s property, regardless if you’re a parent or not”

• the father turned down a plea deal, which involved turning over the phone, and spent 1 night in jail

• father says the dispute has rendered any future relationship with his daughter, and her mother, impossible

Build of the Moment: Community Choice - Project Ravage

Link: Project: Ravage

Build of the Moment: Mod Choice The Silent Cube

Link: The Silent Cube

Nice, going to watch it soon.

-EDIT-

AluminumTech you OPOP tho.

Missed it! Will watch it now!

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Yes boys.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

1 minute ago, Stefan1024 said:

Yes congratualtion!

It was tense to know to win, but not be able to watch the show ;)

I was working so I missed out on it live. Have to get the money to build V2 :)

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

Great, something to help me through my morning. Thanks Linus <3

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Are minors today allowed to make contracts?

In my time you where not allowed to buy anything worth more than candys as a minor.

If it is like that, i'd like to know how it's about realy illegal use of their xbox or iphone.

Are you not responsible for that anymore as a parent?

The problem with upgrading to Win 10 is that Microsoft still hasn't figured out a way to upgrade Windows without errors.

It's still better to format the C: drive and do a clean Win 10 install, then it is to use the upgrade feature.

2 hours ago, alextulu said:

The problem with upgrading to Win 10 is that Microsoft still hasn't figured out a way to upgrade Windows without errors.

It's still better to format the C: drive and do a clean Win 10 install, then it is to use the upgrade feature.

If they haven't figured out how to upgrade windows without errors how have so many people upgraded without any errors? I personally did the upgrade on 3 systems with no errors and no issues post upgrade.

2 hours ago, EricX2 said:

If they haven't figured out how to upgrade windows without errors how have so many people upgraded without any errors? I personally did the upgrade on 3 systems with no errors and no issues post upgrade.

All the people that I know who upgraded have some sort of problem. Either Windows doesn't boot at all, or it boots very slow.

When Luke talked about how he upgraded, he said that it only worked when he did a fresh Win 7 install, and then he immediately upgraded to Win 10.

Just now, alextulu said:

All the people that I know who upgraded have some sort of problem. Either Windows doesn't boot at all, or it boots very slow.

Unless you know more than a hundred people, it's hardly a reliable addition to the statistic.

3 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

Unless you know more than a hundred people, it's hardly a reliable addition to the statistic.

I'm not saying that upgrading to Win 10 doesn't work, it may be that for most people it works just fine, but there are still a lot of people with issues, enough to affect the public perception about Win 10.

19 hours ago, Xenift said:

Nice, going to watch it soon.

-EDIT-

AluminumTech you OPOP tho.

That's cool. I don't get featured a whole lot. So when it happens it's nice. :)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 hours ago, alextulu said:

I'm not saying that upgrading to Win 10 doesn't work, it may be that for most people it works just fine, but there are still a lot of people with issues, enough to affect the public perception about Win 10.

"Enough to affect the public perception" can be as little as 0.01%. No idea why "public perception" is suddenly a valid statistic as to how well an OS works.

On 2/6/2016 at 6:51 PM, EricX2 said:

And how exactly did you do the upgrade ?

Did you do a fresh Win 7 or Win 8.1 install and then upgraded, or did you upgrade PCs that were running the same Win 7 or Win 8.1 installation for a few years ?

How would the underwater datacenters even work isn't it like below freezing near the sea floor????