Metal on CPU heatsink: What happened?

Alir
Just now, W-L said:

Oh I'm just talking about regular polish for metal like brasso that just makes it shiny not something like acidic or even vinegar. 

To remove the oxidization it has to "dig" into the oxidization

depending on the depth of it it could be a sizable pit

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Just go over it with really fine sand paper to smooth everything out and get rid of those scratches. 

Use a little more thermal paste to make sure it's all covered and hence hermetically sealed.  It can't oxidize if air doesn't get to it. 

That looks like a Dark Rock Pro 3.  You may want to ask BeQuiet for their opinion, although I think that the use of the A4 paper and the resulting scratches could impact the warranty. 

Then again from my experience BeQuiet has excellent customer service (I had a faulty PSU a couple years ago), so you never know.

The corrosion doesn't look that bad so why go with sand paper use a mixture of water and baking soda and let it rest on the cooler till it dries and wipe it off.  It's not rust or anything its just tarnished.  Even better get a cleaner/polish that you use on things like silver ware.

19 hours ago, thekeemo said:

I think that the abrasive pit would counter any benefits from removing the oxidization

But I would stick with RMA (or trading for my 212 evo) because lapping will get rid of any warranty..

What is lapping?

12 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Just go over it with really fine sand paper to smooth everything out and get rid of those scratches. 

Use a little more thermal paste to make sure it's all covered and hence hermetically sealed.  It can't oxidize if air doesn't get to it. 

That looks like a Dark Rock Pro 3.  You may want to ask BeQuiet for their opinion, although I think that the use of the A4 paper and the resulting scratches could impact the warranty. 

Then again from my experience BeQuiet has excellent customer service (I had a faulty PSU a couple years ago), so you never know.

Oh Sh** scratches on there will void my warranty?

16 minutes ago, Alir said:

What is lapping?

sanding the surface down to make it mirror smooth

13 minutes ago, Alir said:

Oh Sh** scratches on there will void my warranty?

Major ones yes.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

2 hours ago, thekeemo said:

sanding the surface down to make it mirror smooth

Major ones yes.

That royally sucks. On the other hand the scratches don't look deep.

Why would sanding it to make it smooth ruin warranty? Shouldn't they encourage sanding as it would improve heat transfer?

3 minutes ago, Alir said:

That royally sucks. On the other hand the scratches don't look deep.

Why would sanding it to make it smooth ruin warranty? Shouldn't they encourage sanding as it would improve heat transfer?

You modified the product

You can also improperly sand it

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

You modified the product

You can also improperly sand it

lol good thing I haven't sanded it so far.

Do you think the scratches will void the warranty?

Just checked. The cooler was £70 :/

Just now, Alir said:

lol good thing I haven't sanded it so far.

Do you think the scratches will void the warranty?

Just checked. The cooler was £70 :/

As long as they are minor no