Camera Advice Appreciated

TeeTwo
Go to solution Solved by ALwin,

First thing I will say is to check the links in my signature.

Second, your maximum budget is $1000.00?  Is that just for a camera (and lens) or are you also considering buying supporting equipment?

For photography, starting out with a camera, lens, memory card, spare battery is often enough.  For video just having a camera, lens, memory card and spare battery is not often enough.  You also have to think about investing in an external microphone for recording clean audio as often internal microphones are not enough.  And you have to think about investing in at least one external light that can be mounted on the camera.

Furthermore, a photo is a capture of a frozen moment in time.  With a fast enough shutter speed and the assistance of image stabilization capturing a sharp clean looking image while holding the camera only with your hands is doable.

Video is recording a series of continuous moments that are spread across time, without a gimbal style image stabilizer or steadicam harness or dollies and sliders or the support of a tripod system, there is always a good chance that you will not be able to do smooth camera movement.  Camcorders such as Sony's Handycam have built in gimbal style image stabilization systems, which are designed and optimized for video.  In the guide I wrote (linked in my signature) there are videos comparing a photo camera IS to a video camera IS.

How important is it for you that camera performs better for video or for photo?

If you are not good with cameras, I recommend you consider using a camcorder for video and perhaps a compact camera for photo.  $1000.00 will get you two good cameras, one for each task.

So, im kind of interested in getting a camera.

I will be filming with it, aswell as taking normal pictures.

Looking for good build and image quality, for under a grand (USD).

And since im no good on cameras, preferably user friendly.

Thanks in advance to... whoever have any suggestion on a camera.

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you dont know why. In this computer, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and i dont know why.

Atleast i can manage Some things, like my current OC personal best.

I really like my Nikon D3200, but I'm sure you can get more for your money in the price range.

It's always worth considering if you want to get a nice piece of glass with the camera, as my kit lens never really stays on my camera anymore :P 

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

Second, your maximum budget is $1000.00?  Is that just for a camera (and lens) or are you also considering buying supporting equipment?

For photography, starting out with a camera, lens, memory card, spare battery is often enough.  For video just having a camera, lens, memory card and spare battery is not often enough.  You also have to think about investing in an external microphone for recording clean audio as often internal microphones are not enough.  And you have to think about investing in at least one external light that can be mounted on the camera.

Furthermore, a photo is a capture of a frozen moment in time.  With a fast enough shutter speed and the assistance of image stabilization capturing a sharp clean looking image while holding the camera only with your hands is doable.

Video is recording a series of continuous moments that are spread across time, without a gimbal style image stabilizer or steadicam harness or dollies and sliders or the support of a tripod system, there is always a good chance that you will not be able to do smooth camera movement.  Camcorders such as Sony's Handycam have built in gimbal style image stabilization systems, which are designed and optimized for video.  In the guide I wrote (linked in my signature) there are videos comparing a photo camera IS to a video camera IS.

If you are not good with cameras, I recommend you consider using a camcorder for video and perhaps a compact camera for photo.  $1000.00 will get you two good cameras, one for each task.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

5 hours ago, ALwin said:

The cost would be for the camera and lens only. I already have a tripod, and lightning, memory card and spare battery on a separate budget.

For photos, i will be using the tripod, so steadiness is no issue. So id be looking for better performance during video.

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you dont know why. In this computer, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and i dont know why.

So do you already have some idea of what brand, model or type of camera you'd like to buy?

For video, what sort of video recording specifications/features do you require, and the same for photo?

For example, are you looking for 1080p 120fps capability, or 4K, or high bit rates, dual XLR inputs on a camera, etc.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, ALwin said:

So do you already have some idea of what brand, model or type of camera you'd like to buy?

For video, what sort of video recording specifications/features do you require, and the same for photo?

For example, are you looking for 1080p 120fps capability, or 4K, or high bit rates, dual XLR inputs on a camera, etc.

Looking for absolute minimum of 1080p 60fps recordings (thats not so hard to find, practically a standard).

For brands, any brand works for me. Whether its Sony, Canon, Nikon, Minolta, etc..

Kind of just looking for a starter camera, any advanced equipment will most likely just confuse me at the moment.

With a DSLR, I think the Nikon is perhaps the only brand that does 1080p60 for under $1000.  I am not sure if Canon DSLR's under $1000 have 1080p60.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2|1&ci=6222&setNs=p_PRICE_2|1&N=4288586280+4291315846+4291570227&mxp=1000&srtclk=sort

But if you buy Sony or Panasonic mirrorless (Panasonic will most likely be MFT sensor), you will have a few 1080p60 options.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Sony&ci=16158&N=4288586281+4291296566+4291215468&mxp=1000

With camcorders you will have more choices that support 1080p60.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2|1&ci=1871&setNs=p_PRICE_2|1&N=4294548093&mxp=1000&srtclk=sort