RAID 0 setup help!

MVPernula
Go to solution Solved by LawrenceBarnes2013,

you'll just have to go to the Bios, Ctrl+i to get to the raid config, create a new volume, select the two drives and set the strapping for em (recommendations will be written blow), hit create, done

Okay so I'm basically considering putting my 2 Samsung 850 EVO's in RAID 0, at the moment I have them acting separately but I wanna change that so I can get the faster write and read speeds.

Note that I am aware of the fact that "if one drive crashes so does the other"-yaddayadda, so no worries.

I'm just wondering what I have to do to set this up, can I do everything from bios (X99-s MOBO)? Since the drives hold my OS I know I'll have to reinstall it but that's no problem.

you'll just have to go to the Bios, Ctrl+i to get to the raid config, create a new volume, select the two drives and set the strapping for em (recommendations will be written blow), hit create, done

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

1 minute ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Feels obvious that the drives will be wiped but I feel like asking anyways, will they?

3 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Feels obvious that the drives will be wiped but I feel like asking anyways, will they?

yep, cuz all your data now will be spread out across the two ie, they'll be acting as one witch is the reason for the increased speed, so, and i should of said this in my original post, back up every thing and go for it 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

I have 4 Samsung 850 EVO's setup in Raid-10, so they work well in RAID.  Had to switch it from Raid-0 as my 10 month old hit the eject button one of the SSD's while it was turned on, lost everything and had to reload...>(

Just find a spare HDD, clone your boot drive to it and make sure it boots.  Then go into your BIOS, setup the RAID array, boot back into the HDD, then clone it back over to the new RAID array.

One note is if your SATA is set to AHCI and not RAID, then you will likely need to make some adjustments to Windows before it will allow you to boot after switching the BIOS to RAID.  It doesn't load the Raid drivers automatically if it was originally setup in AHCI.  Just look up the instructions on how to do that based on which OS you have.