Best M.2 SSD?

MarkoCroatiaMC
3 minutes ago, MarkoCroatiaMC said:

No, but a friend of mine is using SanDisk Ultra II (480 GB) which should be a bit slower than Samsung 850 EVO. And his SSD loads Windows 10 (I also use Win 10) in around 20 secs. See now?

While mine takes 37 secs (measured it now). I must have heard you wrong; did you say arguably the B E S T SSD on the market??

2 minutes ago, MarkoCroatiaMC said:

No, but a friend of mine is using SanDisk Ultra II (480 GB) which should be a bit slower than Samsung 850 EVO. And his SSD loads Windows 10 (I also use Win 10) in around 20 secs. See now?

All I see is that some other factor is effecting the SSD speed, unless you honestly just received a poor quality SSD from whomever you bought it from.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 minutes ago, MarkoCroatiaMC said:

While mine takes 37 secs (measured it now). I must have heard you wrong; did you say arguably the B E S T SSD on the market??

Next time the thousands upon thousands of people who purchased the Samsung 850 pro post their benchmark SSD speeds to make a comparison with other SSD's, I'll tell them that we'll use your speed instead of the average of all of theirs. That should give the world a more realistic view of the 850 Pro's performance. 

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

12 minutes ago, Ctown0812 said:

Are you sure you are using a 6 gb/s SATA port, and not a 3 gb/s port? May seem kinda obvious, but worse mistakes have been made by even the most experienced techie

I was thinking the same until i mismatched a 840 with a 950pro xD 

@MarkoCroatiaMC

If you want to boot to Windows extra fast, you need to make sure you have the appropriate Fast Boot options supported by and enabled in your motherboard.

My system specs are in my signature.

I was looking at boot times over 30 seconds when i first put it together. After I configured the UEFI BIOS to use Fast Boot and turned on the Windows 8.1 compatibility options (I use Win8.1) I had my PC booting in under 8 seconds.

What motherboard do you have?

Based on what features it supports, you might be able to get some extra speed on start up without making any hardware changes.

---

1 hour ago, PrimeSonic said:

@MarkoCroatiaMC

If you want to boot to Windows extra fast, you need to make sure you have the appropriate Fast Boot options supported by and enabled in your motherboard.

My system specs are in my signature.

I was looking at boot times over 30 seconds when i first put it together. After I configured the UEFI BIOS to use Fast Boot and turned on the Windows 8.1 compatibility options (I use Win8.1) I had my PC booting in under 8 seconds.

What motherboard do you have?

Based on what features it supports, you might be able to get some extra speed on start up without making any hardware changes.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vmqPwP

My pc. 

3 hours ago, Ctown0812 said:

Are you sure you are using a 6 gb/s SATA port, and not a 3 gb/s port? May seem kinda obvious, but worse mistakes have been made by even the most experienced techie

@MarkoCroatiaMC

I don't think there ARE any 3 Gb/s ports on my MoBo lol

5 hours ago, Redicat said:

Wait how about to do Sata-Express to M.2 adapter? :o

SAS is not the Sata Express

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Just now, DXMember said:

SAS is not the Sata Express

Ikr but what if we could freakin use an SSD on a Sata-Express using an adapter? instead on the DOA interface.

1 hour ago, MarkoCroatiaMC said:

I don't think there ARE any 3 Gb/s ports on my MoBo lol

so what do you consider to "best" ssd? is it the speed?

if it's the speed then that would be 950pro

Samsung should release a 1TB version of 950pro with 48-layer vNAND later this month

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

Just now, Redicat said:

Ikr but what if we could freakin use an SSD on a Sata-Express using an adapter? instead on the DOA interface.

:) I think Sata Express is DOA, I still haven't seen a single device that can be connected to that

@MarkoCroatiaMC Samsung is almost, if not always, at the top. There are a lot of variables: background services, cable quality, connection quality, controller, etc. That being said, here are some articles you may look over if you'd like. Care to guess what drive was the last to die at over 2 petabytes? To put this into perspective, a 1 Gbps connection running 24 hours a day, 7 days per week, 365.25 days per year will be capable of just under 3 petabytes for the year.

Introducing the SSD Endurance Experiment
Just how long do they last, anyway?
by Geoff Gasior — 4:47 PM on August 20, 2013
http://techreport.com/review/24841/introducing-the-ssd-endurance-experiment

The SSD Endurance Experiment: Casualties on the way to a petabyte
by Geoff Gasior — 9:25 AM on June 16, 2014
http://techreport.com/review/26523/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-casualties-on-the-way-to-a-petabyte

The SSD Endurance Experiment: Only two remain after 1.5PB
by Geoff Gasior — 11:35 AM on September 19, 2014
http://techreport.com/review/27062/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-only-two-remain-after-1-5pb

The SSD Endurance Experiment: Two freaking petabytes
by Geoff Gasior — 9:53 AM on December 4, 2014
http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

The SSD Endurance Experiment: They're all dead
by Geoff Gasior — 10:22 AM on March 12, 2015
http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

@DXMember Being that he asked for an M.2 I would not include the 750. I look at it like this, it could be ultra SFF or high-end thin-client; which means no room for a 2.5" SSD. Not saying you're wrong about the specs. The drive is nice. I would like to see something more along the lines of a RAID controller with U.2 lead to drives like this.

@KemoKa Just wanted to say thank you. I was quite positive that the 950 Pro is the best M.2. I don't count the 750 as it's not an M.2.

@Redicat Why would you want to do SATA express to M.2, especially if it's PCIe v3.0 x4? Just curious.

9 hours ago, MarkoCroatiaMC said:

Both the 850 Pro 256GB and 512GB are virtually identical a few percentile different in specific areas.

Samsung 850 Pro 512GB vs SanDisk Ultra II 480GB

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Pro-512GB-vs-SanDisk-Ultra-II-480GB/3478vs3473

Also check the list of SSD, sort it by effective speed.

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/

Edited by JJOATz
Added link I forgot to during initial reply.

I agreed that the best M.2 SSD is the Samsung 950 Pro, specifically the 512GB version have higher r/w speed than the 256GB version.

It's the main reason why I got 2 for RAID 0.

Here's CrystalDisk score: 2x Samsung 950 Pro 512GB on RAID 0

Fresh install with Windows 10 Pro

CrystalDiskMark-Score1.png

5 hours ago, xtnt5x said:

I agreed that the best M.2 SSD is the Samsung 950 Pro, specifically the 512GB version have higher r/w speed than the 256GB version.

It's the main reason why I got 2 for RAID 0.

Here's CrystalDisk score: 2x Samsung 950 Pro 512GB on RAID 0

Fresh install with Windows 10 Pro

I believe your DMI 3.0 might be oversaturated

here's a single 950Pro

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/RCbVoEL.png

all the NVMe hype is about the random IOs, sequentials are meaningless because there's just no where to move these large amounts of data from or to

but GTA V does load noticeably faster than on a hard drive, I'll give you that

edit:

I'm so done with this forums.. I can't even add a picture to the post and BB codes don't work, how the hell you break it with an update that was suppose to be a re-skin...

@DXMember Here's your pic. Haven't used mobile, but the gray button, which reads "Insert other media", directly about the "SUBMIT REPLY" button allows you to append an attachment (something you've uploaded to LTT) or image from an URL. I haven't tried BB code here, but I assumed it wouldn't work.

RCbVoEL.png

6 hours ago, DXMember said:

I believe your DMI 3.0 might be oversaturated

here's a single 950Pro

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/RCbVoEL.png

all the NVMe hype is about the random IOs, sequentials are meaningless because there's just no where to move these large amounts of data from or to

but GTA V does load noticeably faster than on a hard drive, I'll give you that

edit:

I'm so done with this forums.. I can't even add a picture to the post and BB codes don't work, how the hell you break it with an update that was suppose to be a re-skin...

52 minutes ago, JJOATz said:

@DXMember Here's your pic. Haven't used mobile, but the gray button, which reads "Insert other media", directly about the "SUBMIT REPLY" button allows you to append an attachment (something you've uploaded to LTT) or image from an URL. I haven't tried BB code here, but I assumed it wouldn't work.

RCbVoEL.png

how do i do these tests myself?

16 hours ago, JJOATz said:

RCbVoEL.png

I don't think the picture you added worked,

and yes I did try insert media button... it's not good

@DXMember I don't know, it shows up for me. The one you posed shows up as a rectangle box with %7Boption%7D in it.

Here's a link to a picture of exactly what I see: 

[http://i.imgur.com/qj6bXJF.png]

Had to add brackets because it kept embedding the image.