Error 53 bricks iPhone 6 after updating to iOS9 if it has been repaired by a 3rd Party

Keudn
Go to solution Solved by RedRound2,

Wow, poor job OP as this is only half the story. First correct your title that this is only in the case of touch ID enabled home button. Second apple has acknowledged the issue and this is what they say

We protect fingerprint data using a secure enclave, which is uniquely paired to the Touch ID sensor. When iPhone is serviced by an authorised Apple service provider or Apple retail store for changes that affect the touch ID sensor, the pairing is re-validated. This check ensures the device and the iOS features related to touch ID remain secure. Without this unique pairing, a malicious touch ID sensor could be substituted, thereby gaining access to the secure enclave. When iOS detects that the pairing fails, touch ID, including Apple Pay, is disabled so the device remains secure.

Source: http://9to5mac.com/2016/02/05/error-53-iphone-6/

4 minutes ago, zacRupnow said:

When you buy their phone it is yours. They have no legal right to deny you use of your device for any reason. This is going to go down the same path as Jailbreaks and Rooting. Your device is yours do do with as you please.

Except for the backlash that Apple would receive if you start to have credit card theft, your fingerprints get stolen, etc... 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Statement given by Apple

BS, Apple could have handle it in many ways that don't require bricking the phone:

1. simply disable ApplePay if it detects the mismatch

2. stop the upgrade process when checking the device before upgrading

3. if they wanted to keep the brick method: warn the user that the upgrade could not be performed on the device because of a "bad" touchID sensor and hurge them to consult an apple retail store to get a proper one

4. Make it the phone recoverable after being bricked even if it requires going at an apple store instead of tossing it away and asking money for a refurbished one

5. be more open with third party repair shops

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 minutes ago, atrash said:

But are they using first party part? People will think all sorts of malicious way to gain access to your phone and if the fingerprint scanner is compromised, Apple will be in serious trouble.

then just disable ApplePay and warn the user that it has been disabled because "enter reasons here"; don't brik the entire device as if the consumer deserve to be punished for not wanting to spend 100+€ on a fix at the Apple Store and then ask them even more to get it replaced with a refurbished one.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

20 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

BS, Apple could have handle it in many ways that don't require bricking the phone:

1. simply disable ApplePay if it detects the mismatch

2. stop the upgrade process when checking the device before upgrading

3. if they wanted to keep the brick method: warn the user that the upgrade could not be performed on the device because of a "bad" touchID sensor and hurge them to consult an apple retail store to get a proper one

4. Make it the phone recoverable after being bricked even if it requires going at an apple store instead of tossing it away and asking money for a refurbished one

5. be more open with third party repair shops

The company did not go as far as acknowledging that there was no possible recovery once the issue has occurred, but simply advised affected users to contact Apple support. 

If they said that it probably means that they can fix this and not the user.

Source: http://9to5mac.com/2016/02/05/error-53-iphone-6/

Is this effectively a way so that you cannot install the Apple OS onto something like a cheap android phone?

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

28 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Except for the backlash that Apple would receive if you start to have credit card theft, your fingerprints get stolen, etc... 

Except that's all software side and couldn't be achieved with a new home button.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

2 hours ago, Nic said:

But the problem is that they don't let consumer have the choice to go to a different repair shop

Yes they do, just like they give you a choice to upgrade your software or not. It's buyer beware. Just because it's not your preconceived perfect solution doesn't make it anti-consumer or illegal.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

6 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Yes they do, just like they give you a choice to upgrade your software or not. It's buyer beware. Just because it's not your preconceived perfect solution doesn't make it anti-consumer or illegal.

Having to say buyer beware inherently makes it anti consumer.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

30 minutes ago, zacRupnow said:

Except that's all software side and couldn't be achieved with a new home button.

Unless a malicious Touch ID sensor was used. By only allow Apple authorized replacement centers to do the replacement, Apple can make sure that nothing malicious will be used, which could be used to bypass the security restrictions put in place by Apple. 

Considering the screen is the most common and expensive thing to be replaced, and that it's quite easy to replace the screen while using the original home button, it's probably not too much of an assumption to make that Apple chose to only lock phones with a replaced home button for a reason. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

11 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Unless a malicious Touch ID sensor was used. By only allow Apple authorized replacement centers to do the replacement, Apple can make sure that nothing malicious will be used, which could be used to bypass the security restrictions put in place by Apple. 

Considering the screen is the most common and expensive thing to be replaced, and that it's quite easy to replace the screen while using the original home button, it's probably not too much of an assumption to make that Apple chose to only lock phones with a replaced home button for a reason. 

The sensor either works or it doesn't. Malicious means there is a level of processing involved, it can only be mind or digital, software/firmware and brain of a malicious person. If a sensor lets anyone open the phone it isn't malicious, it's just not working properly. Now if a bad repair person intentionally makes the sensor not function as intended, the repair person is malicious, not the sensor. The sensor may be considered sabotaged by the repair but it is still only a sensor and either works properly or doesn't.

Apple are going to have the whole tech community on their doorsteps with pitchforks and flaming torches if they carry on...

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

18 minutes ago, zacRupnow said:

The sensor either works or it doesn't. Malicious means there is a level of processing involved, it can only be mind or digital, software/firmware and brain of a malicious person. If a sensor lets anyone open the phone it isn't malicious, it's just not working properly. Now if a bad repair person intentionally makes the sensor not function as intended, the repair person is malicious, not the sensor. The sensor may be considered sabotaged by the repair but it is still only a sensor and either works properly or doesn't.

Technicalities. 

Either way the outcome is still the same. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Your second point, I can agree with.

Your first point is agreeable, but has problems. I'm not even sure if Apple has authorized any third party replacement centers to do any repair on Apple products and I don't think Apple really helps customers/repair centres out in that way (based on the video Louis Rossman did).

1 hour ago, zacRupnow said:

When you buy their phone it is yours. They have no legal right to deny you use of your device for any reason. This is going to go down the same path as Jailbreaks and Rooting. Your device is yours do do with as you please.

Yes, the device is mine.

My fingerprint and payment information and other passwords accessible with said fingerprint are also mine, and if you don't mind I'd like to keep it that way. If that means only authorized people/companies can repair my device with OEM parts that are validated by said people/companies then I'm more than happy to spend the extra few bucks on it, rather than having some random 3rd party shop do it with god knows what hardware resulting in a bricked phone which is a whackton more expensive.

Ye ole' train

56 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

Having to say buyer beware inherently makes it anti consumer.

No, it just means consumers shouldn't be able to complain about the effects of their own blind stupidity when the pitfall is in plain sight.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

7 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

Your second point, I can agree with.

Your first point is agreeable, but has problems. I'm not even sure if Apple has authorized any third party replacement centers to do any repair on Apple products and I don't think Apple really helps customers/repair centres out in that way (based on the video Louis Rossman did).

That video is full anti-Apple with no sign of the guy having even read 1/4th of the whole story just so he can have a nice clickbait title.

And Apple has 3rd party replacement centers. They're called Apple Authorized Resellers (AAR), who can also do repairs. If you're not on that list you have no business in repairing/reselling Apple devices, and the AAR always have a big sign outside or on the store windows that say they're authorized. Partly because they are, partly because it attracts people shopping around, or in this case, look for a place to repair their device.

Ye ole' train

HMPHwhyIuseandroidHMPH

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

12 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Yes, the device is mine.

My fingerprint and payment information and other passwords accessible with said fingerprint are also mine, and if you don't mind I'd like to keep it that way. If that means only authorized people/companies can repair my device with OEM parts that are validated by said people/companies then I'm more than happy to spend the extra few bucks on it, rather than having some random 3rd party shop do it with god knows what hardware resulting in a bricked phone which is a whackton more expensive.

"authorized people/companies can repair my device with OEM parts"

- Those don't exist, Apple doesn't have any authorized repair companies.

"3rd party shop do it with god knows what hardware resulting in a bricked phone"

- Apple bricks it for detecting hardware changes that they didn't make, not because the repair is bad.

"My fingerprint and payment information and other passwords accessible with said fingerprint are also mine"

- Repair shops don't access your phones software, they have you turn it off or show you how to set it into service mode before they take it. They have no reason to go after your payment info through your phone when you are paying them to service it.

7 minutes ago, Derpologist said:

HMPHwhyIuseandroidHMPH

tfw a android device with fingerprint scanner doesn't get bricked when replacing a faulty scanner, rooting or installingg custom roms

3 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

this time I don't agree with you

it;s like car manufacturer would say put engine oil from X company, but you used from Y company

and as soon as you go for scheduled car inspection that car would brick itself because of it

it absolutely is a an anti-consumer practice

by doing this, Apple forces the consumer in a corner and the consumer isn't even aware of the issue until it's too late

they don't block access to services related, like Apple Pay, they just brick your phone

do you think next time those affected by it would buy an iPhone? I seriously doubt that

there is no more growth in the smartphone market, it's saturated

---

I still don't' understand why people buy their overpriced HW, I guess they really like being treated like trash

There's better ways of doing this than throwing that error... Android phones when rooted are unable to activate Android Pay. When they remove root from the phone it is then accessible to them. They make it fully aware that they are unable to activate their pay system until they remove root access to the phone.

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

19 hours ago, Mantayd17 said:

Apple asks too much for the repair indeed, but the logic behind it is correct. A third party may as well be a malicious party, that'd potentially expose you.

what if the person wants to repair it him or herself. and also let me get this straight to prevent a third party from breaking your phone apple is going to break it instead 

13 hours ago, syoumans54 said:

There's better ways of doing this than throwing that error... Android phones when rooted are unable to activate Android Pay. When they remove root from the phone it is then accessible to them. They make it fully aware that they are unable to activate their pay system until they remove root access to the phone.

if you unroot add a card then root again it will work just fine

15 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Yes, the device is mine.

so to protect you from your phone getting bricked by a third party apple is going to brick it themselves how thoughtful of them