Error 53 bricks iPhone 6 after updating to iOS9 if it has been repaired by a 3rd Party

Keudn
Go to solution Solved by RedRound2,

Wow, poor job OP as this is only half the story. First correct your title that this is only in the case of touch ID enabled home button. Second apple has acknowledged the issue and this is what they say

We protect fingerprint data using a secure enclave, which is uniquely paired to the Touch ID sensor. When iPhone is serviced by an authorised Apple service provider or Apple retail store for changes that affect the touch ID sensor, the pairing is re-validated. This check ensures the device and the iOS features related to touch ID remain secure. Without this unique pairing, a malicious touch ID sensor could be substituted, thereby gaining access to the secure enclave. When iOS detects that the pairing fails, touch ID, including Apple Pay, is disabled so the device remains secure.

Source: http://9to5mac.com/2016/02/05/error-53-iphone-6/

12 minutes ago, Daegun said:

Where did you? Almost every single post, I can go back and bold them all if you need me to.

Two wrongs do in fact make a right I guess.

Please. If you're gonna quote "Anti-apple weirdos" then you need to look up definition of insult. And even then that wasnt targeted at the person who I replied to rather the general apple haters

In my definition a personal insult would be something like this "Why don't you understand you piece of shit" or calling someone "retarded" if they don't agree with you so on and so forth

Watch this:

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Just now, juretrn said:

Watch this:

snip

Someone already posted this and I feel that it's his opinion. Yes Apple makes it hard to repair and I totally agree with it, but I don't believe this whole Error 53 is an intentional thing and its basically just a virtual brick which only Apple support can recover it. Again as long as this isnt a common problem this is just a blown up news like bendgate

9 hours ago, super_skank said:

I am aware that nothing is 100% foolproof, but there are ways to implement precautions, Apple's implementation is just piss poor, and a way to get even more money out of Apple-tards....

I am not Naive i have seen a lot of the world and i see what these large companies for the parasites that they really are.

Facts are Apple make it has hard as possible to fix their products purely out of greed, If you think they are doing it for the customers benefit you are sadly mistaken.  The fact is they don't want you to get your phone, ipad or macbook fixed (Even though they are not particular hard to repair, they just make it impossible for you to get hold of parts and schematics, not to protect security but to force you to go to apple and pay an extortionate amount of money for a repair), they want you to buy a new one....if you buy an Apple product quite frankly you deserve to be milked for every penny they can get out of you.

I've used Apple devices -- Macs, iPhones, and iPods -- along side their competition for years and over that eight year period, I've had to pay for several repairs for my non-Apple laptops, meanwhile, I've managed to get Apple to fix anything that's ever broken for free even after I'm out of warranty -- just the other day I had them replace my eight year old Mac's charger because the wire tore (because the charger is honestly designed terribly with a nice super thin cable that rips way too easily). 

So, if their intention was to pull in as much money as possible then they're doing a pretty piss poor job at it. And again, if that is the case -- if they're just trying to make as much money as they possibly can (which as a business they have the right to do), then why doesn't repairing the home screen (a far more common repair) brick the device as well?

47 minutes ago, juretrn said:

Watch this:

I remember watching that video months ago and thinking, "wow....could he be more biased?" Within the first five minutes you can tell just how biased he is -- which doesn't exactly encourage trust in the rest of his opinions/videos. He makes some valid points, but the way he goes about making some of them really makes me question his intentions/goals.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 2/5/2016 at 6:35 PM, patrickjp93 said:

No, to protect your banking info and fingerprint data from being stolen, Apple is willing to brick its phones when 3rd parties have messed with them.

Instead of Bricking the Entire Phone they could just Stop all features associated with it............ and android is simple to use no one said you had to flash 80 different roms and try em all out. my 75 year old grandma uses a Note 4 and doesn't find it confusing.  The whole argument that Either os is harder to use is such a old BS both are very easy. But if your planing on keeping your phone for 6 years which is very specific use  yes IOS updates will keep you going longer security and such updates and i would recommend an iphone but what % of users do this .01%? very niche of a client i dont know anyone who uses a 6 year old phone and espically one complaining about how much time is wasted on android os which is absurd but then says they want to use a 6 year old Iphone 3gs go load a few webpages and apps and then do it on a current android or iphone and see how much time is being wasted using obsolet products LTE wasn't even a thing then.

8 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Aggressive, no not really. Whatever I've said I've always had reasons for it

I'm not talking about when you use actual logic. You have a habit of jumping straight to insulting people when they talk down on Apple. It makes you look like a child. You can make a post without insulting someone.

Read through your posts. It's embarrassing. 

Oh nice, it looks like you did some spring cleaning in this thread :P

5 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

I'm not talking about when you use actual logic. You have a habit of jumping straight to insulting people when they talk down on Apple. It makes you look like a child. You can make a post without insulting someone.

Read through your posts. It's embarrassing. 

Oh nice, it looks like you did some spring cleaning in this thread :P

I haven't insulted anyone here nor have I edited my comments. Read my previous reply to someone who asked me the same thing.

Please point me where I actually insulted somone directly

16 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Instead of Bricking the Entire Phone they could just Stop all features associated with it............ and android is simple to use no one said you had to flash 80 different roms and try em all out. my 75 year old grandma uses a Note 4 and doesn't find it confusing.  The whole argument that Either os is harder to use is such a old BS both are very easy. But if your planing on keeping your phone for 6 years which is very specific use  yes IOS updates will keep you going longer security and such updates and i would recommend an iphone but what % of users do this .01%? very niche of a client i dont know anyone who uses a 6 year old phone and espically one complaining about how much time is wasted on android os which is absurd but then says they want to use a 6 year old Iphone 3gs go load a few webpages and apps and then do it on a current android or iphone and see how much time is being wasted using obsolet products LTE wasn't even a thing then.

Not many people use 6 year old iPhones, but there are still quite a few 5's and 5s's around. So that would be the Galaxy S3/Razr Maxx HD/One M7/Note 2 and S4/One M8/Note 3 all of which support up to Jellybean/Kitkat (except the Note 3/One M7/M8, which support Lollipop). Meanwhile the 4s (Galaxy S2/Note 1) still supports ios 9; so the longevity of the OS/device is definitely still a valid argument. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

13 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

I've seen plenty of iPhone 4 and 4S's in the market which would directly equate to Galaxy S1 and S2 which have disappeared of the face of the earth due to their poor longevity. Heck even S5 starts lagging here and there now. 

Dont assume that everyone upgrade their phones every two years because I know a lot of people who are just waiting their phone break in two pieces before upgrading

25 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Not many people use 6 year old iPhones, but there are still quite a few 5's and 5s's around. So that would be the Galaxy S3/Razr Maxx HD/One M7/Note 2 and S4/One M8/Note 3 all of which support up to Jellybean/Kitkat (except the Note 3/One M7/M8, which support Lollipop). Meanwhile the 4s (Galaxy S2/Note 1) still supports ios 9; so the longevity of the OS/device is definitely still a valid argument. 

i Just said that ios/iphone updates is a reason id recommend them but the case is how many people buy a flagship phone to use it for 6 years. Honestly buying 4-5 $250 dollar phones every 2 years would get you a much better experience overall even a longer time span  then the iphone for 6 years could. and if you wanted to get 3 $400 ones... if you were to go for the 6 year mark he was talking about $1300 for 6 years  

On 2016-02-05 at 5:46 PM, sof006 said:

Had a customer come into my store the other day wanting an update done to iOS 9.2.1... so I did that and regretfully so they had their home button swapped. Error 53 immediately and it demanded that they restore their device... which could also not be done because of error 53.

Had to explain why this was and all they could say was their phone wasn't tampered with... obviously lie number one. Told them they had to go to Apple. Conversation ended there.

Error 53 is mostly related to the homebutton being replaced, yes.. However that's not always the case. I've seen it, and even suffered it on one of my own iphone 6's which came straight out of the box and had never been tampered with (bought at an Apple store in Stockholm) and i was stuck with a bricked phone which Apple refused to refund.. So error 53 has more causes, though the homebutton is the most well documented cause. More to the point is that I own a number of stores who does repair iphones and other brands, hundreds of them a day, so I've seen other causes for this error too.

Also, my employee's always have and always will use the ORIGINAL components where possible (in tthis case it means we'd transfer the original homebutton from their broken screen to a new one, if that was the issue), and as we've known about Error 53 for a long time we inform our customers of what'll happen if they try to replace a homebutton on an i6.. Unfortunately far from every repairshop is as informative, and will do anything for an extra $5 from a customer, and then when the error occurs they blame apple, and refuse refunds.

Now as far as the iphone 5s goes, it's got TOuchID too, but it didn't brick like the iphone 6 does .. It'd error out, but you could always restore it, you'd lost the info, but it wouldn't kill your device, so to claim that this is an 'added securitymeasure' is a croc of S*it

21 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Putting the old button is one option. You completely ignored the other one. And usually when you give parts for replacement to third party, they give you the old one back. That's just how general policy is FYI and I clearly only meant in that terms which you made a big deal about. Again affected users can contact apple for a solution and potential recovery 

Yes I know you get the parts back, but who saves a broken button once they have gotten a new one? It's broken. Throw it away.

And contacting Apple? They will probably not be very happy that you got it repaired somewhere else, and having to replace hardware to fix a software issue shows that it is a very flawed system.

21 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

I don't think its a check but the code verification is a part of software update which fails hence virtually bricking the device as a safety measure as its related to security. Basically virtual brick may be apple's solution if a potential security verification fails which is something i don't see anything wrong with. This makes a whole lot more ton of sense than what you told that Apple's doing this deliberately. If they were they should have bricked the device as soon as the device boots up with 3rd party home button

Again its not completely unrecoverable as many sites claimed it to be but apple can fix this. Replace any other major part and apple doesn't have any problem but replace something that has to do with security and when Apple's implements a fallback system in place that may annoy the user for a while Apple's the bad guy here

If it were a common problem, then they probably should code iOS another function but the it isn't and its just a blown up news like bendgate which no one would've given shit about if it wasnt apple

When did I say Apple was doing this deliberately? I actually said they were either incompetent and designed a bad system, or they did it deliberately. Personally I am leaning more towards the former. There isn't really any valid reason to not do one of the three things I suggested, other than "oops we didn't think about it".

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Yes I know you get the parts back, but who saves a broken button once they have gotten a new one? It's broken. Throw it away.

And contacting Apple? They will probably not be very happy that you got it repaired somewhere else, and having to replace hardware to fix a software issue shows that it is a very flawed system.

When did I say Apple was doing this deliberately? I actually said they were either incompetent and designed a bad system, or they did it deliberately. Personally I am leaning more towards the former. There isn't really any valid reason to not do one of the three things I suggested, other than "oops we didn't think about it".

Well I and most people I know keep it around a while before throwing it out. Similar to how a box of a big product is kept around before throwing it away.

Yes now blame apple for putting an underlying security bed when most manufacturers won't have anything close to what apple has. Apple has been very strong about privacy and currently they're the only one against the government to not implement backdoor while others have agreed to

I think Apple needs to stop existing all together. This kind of thing is just messed up, and shouldn't be legal.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

38 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Well I and most people I know keep it around a while before throwing it out. Similar to how a box of a big product is kept around before throwing it away.

Yes now blame apple for putting an underlying security bed when most manufacturers won't have anything close to what apple has. Apple has been very strong about privacy and currently they're the only one against the government to not implement backdoor while others have agreed to

You can't compare a broken home button you got replaced against a big box. You handed the phone in because the button was broken. Who in their right mind saves things which are broken then they have been replaced? Would you keep the box if it got so smashed you could not use it to put things into anymore? I had the motherboard in my phone replaced and I did not save the old one. Why would I? "Oh in case you want to turn your new, working phone, into the old broken one again".

What the hell are you on about, bringing up privacy? This has nothing to do with that. Apple fucked up and implemented a flawed system. They could just have done one out of the three things I suggested and the consumers would still have 100% of the protection they currently have, but without the risk of bricking their phones. I don't know why you are so dead set on defending Apple, but even a hardcore fanboy should be able to admit that Apple fucked this one up. They did not think it through and now some consumers are paying the price of that mistake.

By the way, you are completely wrong with Apple being the only one not wanting to implement backdoors. There are plenty of other companies which are on Apple's side in that war.

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You can't compare a broken home button you got replaced against a big box. You handed the phone in because the button was broken. Who in their right mind saves things which are broken then they have been replaced? Would you keep the box if it got so smashed you could not use it to put things into anymore? I had the motherboard in my phone replaced and I did not save the old one. Why would I? "Oh in case you want to turn your new, working phone, into the old broken one again".

What the hell are you on about, bringing up privacy? This has nothing to do with that. Apple fucked up and implemented a flawed system. They could just have done one out of the three things I suggested and the consumers would still have 100% of the protection they currently have, but without the risk of bricking their phones. I don't know why you are so dead set on defending Apple, but even a hardcore fanboy should be able to admit that Apple fucked this one up. They did not think it through and now some consumers are paying the price of that mistake.

By the way, you are completely wrong with Apple being the only one not wanting to implement backdoors. There are plenty of other companies which are on Apple's side in that war.

I would definitely keep something like a home button for while before throwing out. I do that with everything and there are so many times I felt glad that I did. Again it's one of potential solution for people like me. End of Story

How many times do I have to bring up this isnt a common issue. Im 90% positive that what happened was what I said before which is as a reminder

I don't think it's a check but the code verification is a part of software update which fails hence virtually bricking the device as a safety measure as its related to security.

Now if they see this as too much of a common issue they can implement the necessary in the next iOS update. But till now that hasnt been the case

Now I cant find that exact article that said other CEO's were either mum or accepted but the fact that Tim Cook and Apple mostly on come up on presendential debates its safe to assume only Apple's fighting for rights 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/dec/21/tim-cook-tom-cotton-clash-over-encryption-debate/?page=all

http://9to5mac.com/2016/01/15/tim-cook-republican-debate-encryption/

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/21/10808732/att-ceo-says-tim-cook-shouldnt-decide-encryption

http://9to5mac.com/2015/02/13/white-house-cybersecurity/

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-11/10/tim-cook-apple-uk-surveillance

http://www.itproportal.com/2015/12/21/blackberry-ceo-scolds-apples-privacy-stance-argues-backdoors/

http://www.macworld.com/article/2995974/privacy/apple-cant-and-wont-give-governments-back-door-into-new-iphones.html

I think Apple needs to stop existing all together. This kind of thing is just messed up, and shouldn't be legal.

Apple has yet to vacuum up 100% of the smartphone profits in the industry. It is still too early for them to die.

5 minutes ago, abazigal said:

Apple has yet to vacuum up 100% of the smartphone profits in the industry. It is still too early for them to die.

They needed to die, or be found guilty of anti-competitive/anti-trust accusations, a LONG time ago.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

anti-competitive/anti-trust accusations, a LONG time ago.

What have they done that makes you say that? 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

https://theoverspill.wordpress.com/2016/02/08/explaining-the-iphones-error53-and-why-it-puts-apple-between-conspiracy-and-rock-hard-security/

This blog post explains in great detail the (likely) logic behind the recent error53 issue bugging some of the iPhones which have had their home buttons replaced. 

TL;DR - I am not making excuses for Apple, but I do feel that too many people seem all too eager to bring out the torches and pitchforks when it comes to Apple. I get it that this a forum frequented by PC-enthusiasts, who are not really Apple's target demographic, and some of Apple's practices like soldering ram to their logic boards might seem anathema and blasphemous, but even so, I would have expected a great better deal of objectivity when it comes to anything tech-related. 

Ah, proof. It’s so hard to prove the imaginary, or to refute it. However the scenario where some Apple executives gather round a table and say “You know what? We’re losing valuable revenues and profits from people using third-party repairs! We need to brick those phones!” fails both Occam’s Razor and Hanlon’s Razor, the two logical tests that help you filter through a lot of modern crap.

I think it makes a great deal of sense, and helps shed some light on populist claims that Apple is deliberately screwing its users over just to earn a few dollars. I strongly urge each and every one of the readers here to at least visit the website and familiarise yourself with how Touch-ID works with the rest of the system, and better understand the context of the matter. 

In no order of merit, here is a summary of the points in the article. 

1. Touch-ID likely already stopped working after the home button was replaced. It was only with the latest software update that the users’ phones got bricked. I don’t see this point being emphasises much, if at all. 
  2. Apple has a lot of things on its plate, arguably even moreso than Google and Microsoft, since they are involved in hardware, software and services. It is inevitable that as you try to do more things, you will make more mistakes, and there will be more frequent lapses in communication.  
  3. The problem, assuming we can even call it one, is more likely due to poor communication between the touch-ID team and the rest of the organisation. What one side felt made for great security in its devices inadvertently turned into a PR fiasco for the rest. 
  4. Apple could have been more forthcoming with details, or even taken the initiative to inform consumers upfront, but I don't believe they intentionally set out to screw their customers over by bricking their devices. 
  5. iPhones are very complex pieces of hardware, and I can see why Apple would rather you bring your Apple products to their official retail stores for servicing (because they would presumably know better than a 3rd party retailer). The problem is that not everyone lives near an Apple Store, but that’s beyond the scope of this discussion, which is to determine whether there has been any malice on Apple’s part. 
  6. People who claim that they should be allowed to do whatever they want with their iPhones since they have already paid for it are missing the point. You buy the iPhone, but you still don’t have unlimited rights to it. For example, you aren’t legally allowed to try and pry into the secure element component of the processor, or decompile the software. Likewise, Apple tolerates users trying to jailbreak their devices, but this doesn’t mean Apple won’t go out of their way to make life difficult for you (because jailbreaking ultimately involves exploiting a security flaw in the software).
  7. It's easier to sell news using the tried-and-tested conspiracy angle, all the more when it's Apple, a company which practically invites controversy with every single step it takes. The irony here is that these news outlets have likely encountered enough scenarios to know a conspiracy from a simple oversight, but still chose the former anyways, because it brings in the views. 
  8. Interestingly enough, the article goes on to note that Android Pay also sports the same requirements, which suggests that if Android phone users who have changed their fingerprint sensors might run into similar problems, though these issues will likely get buried because they aren’t considered newsworthy enough. 

It will still be interesting nevertheless to see how Apple deals with the fallout, but like I said again, any claims that Apple is deliberately screwing their users over are premature.

23 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

How many times do I have to bring up this isnt a common issue. Im 90% positive that what happened was what I said before which is as a reminder

"It's not a common issues" is not an excuse for designing a system poorly, especially not when you are as big as Apple.

Now if they see this as too much of a common issue they can implement the necessary in the next iOS update. But till now that hasnt been the case

They should have done so to begin with.

Now I cant find that exact article that said other CEO's were either mum or accepted but the fact that Tim Cook and Apple mostly on come up on presendential debates its safe to assume only Apple's fighting for rights 

"It's the only one I have seen" is not the same as "it is the only one". There are far more companies than Apple fighting for it. It's probably just that you haven't heard of the other things because they don't get as much attention in mainstream media. Cisco, EFF, Mozilla, Google hell even Microsoft have all made their voices very much heard. Here is one of the many, many examples I got.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

"It's not a common issues" is not an excuse for designing a system poorly, especially not when you are as big as Apple.

They should have done so to begin with.

Apple's not perfect and it not very smart to think they must've have closed all possible loopholes. This just happened to be one of them and its resulted in because Apple must've programmed the device to go into a virtual brick state if it identifies that security such as the fingerprint has somehow gotten breached which is perfectly fine. This certain checkup only happens during software update hence why it happens then. Again if it were a pretty common issue, then they should probably handle the error in a more elegant way but its not. Afterall getting touch ID replaced by 3rd party (which is dumb in the 1st place), I'd rather have these mechanisms than my fingerprint data getting stolen 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

"It's the only one I have seen" is not the same as "it is the only one". There are far more companies than Apple fighting for it. It's probably just that you haven't heard of the other things because they don't get as much attention in mainstream media. Cisco, EFF, Mozilla, Google hell even Microsoft have all made their voices very much heard. Here is one of the many, many examples I got.

That was initially, right before some states and UK proposed banning devices. Look if Google and Microsoft were as passionate as Apple then I'm pretty sure even they would get mentioned after all they're the big three. All the news headlines would be tech giants rather than Tim Cook. All those direct enquires from AT&T, Blackberry and various other higher government officials are addressed to Tim Cook.

If Tim Cook only gets mentioned that means only Apple is fighting as hard while others are in the backseat ready to go in either way

And another fact is that other companies just send some random executive to attend the white house meetings while Apple only seems to serious enough for Tim Cook to attend

22 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Apple's not perfect and it not very smart to think they must've have closed all possible loopholes. This just happened to be one of them and its resulted in because Apple must've programmed the device to go into a virtual brick state if it identifies that security such as the fingerprint has somehow gotten breached which is perfectly fine. This certain checkup only happens during software update hence why it happens then. Again if it were a pretty common issue, then they should probably handle the error in a more elegant way but its not. Afterall getting touch ID replaced by 3rd party (which is dumb in the 1st place), I'd rather have these mechanisms than my fingerprint data getting stolen 

You still try to pretend like this is a good thing. It's not. Apple fucked up and designed a flawed system. Wanna know what they should have done if they really wanted to protect their users from having their fingerprints stolen? Disable the fingerprint scanner and not the entire phone. Also, this does not protect anyone from having their finger print stolen since you can still use the scanner from that it got replaced, until you update your phone.

It's not a protection mechanic. It's a dumb oversight.

That was initially, right before some states and UK proposed banning devices. Look if Google and Microsoft were as passionate as Apple then I'm pretty sure even they would get mentioned after all they're the big three. All the news headlines would be tech giants rather than Tim Cook. All those direct enquires from AT&T, Blackberry and various other higher government officials are addressed to Tim Cook.

They do get mentioned. You might have missed all the headlines but they are still there. Wanna know who is sponsoring Let's Encrypt? Google, among others. But you don't hear that much about that because a free and open source CA won't get as many clicks in headlines as "Apple defends their customers!". There are a ton of companies doing things to protect your privacy but barely gets any attention from your average tech blog or mainstream media.

So again, just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

If Tim Cook only gets mentioned that means only Apple is fighting as hard while others are in the backseat ready to go in either way

Nope, it's because Apple gets more and bigger headlines than other companies. Both when they screw up (bendgate) and when they do something good (protect your privacy).

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2016 at 11:30 PM, LAwLz said:

You still try to pretend like this is a good thing. It's not. Apple fucked up and designed a flawed system. Wanna know what they should have done if they really wanted to protect their users from having their fingerprints stolen? Disable the fingerprint scanner and not the entire phone. Also, this does not protect anyone from having their finger print stolen since you can still use the scanner from that it got replaced, until you update your phone.

It's not a protection mechanic. It's a dumb oversight.

I didn't reply before as I knew a conversation with you would probably go on forever. But recent events has been in favour with my arguments before.

As I said before Error 53 was an internal fail safe check system. Apparently Apple put in the first place to identify devices with faulty touch ID sensors before coming out of the factory. But the more important fact is that they apologized and agreed to reimburse anyone who had to pay for out of warranty repair. But if the Touch ID button is replaced then Touch ID & Apple pay wouldnt work which is IMO a good thing

They do get mentioned. You might have missed all the headlines but they are still there. Wanna know who is sponsoring Let's Encrypt? Google, among others. But you don't hear that much about that because a free and open source CA won't get as many clicks in headlines as "Apple defends their customers!". There are a ton of companies doing things to protect your privacy but barely gets any attention from your average tech blog or mainstream media.

So again, just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Nope, it's because Apple gets more and bigger headlines than other companies. Both when they screw up (bendgate) and when they do something good (protect your privacy).

Pretty sure you have seen the whole Apple vs. FBI thing. If you haven't here's Apple's strong message (and they're honestly going to get in trouble for this)

Fun fact: Good guy Google said they would have given FBI access if they requested which they probably had already done considering the iPhone was one of the two phones recovered

They may support apple but very weakly and I'm sure it was only because of Edward Snowden that google even bothered to reply

Oh and let's not forget about Microsoft's very weak support

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/18/11044646/microsoft-apple-fbi-comment-reform-goverment-surveillance

The only reason why companies even bothered to reply was probably only to avoid consumer backlashes when they quietly actually support the FBI

http://www.ibtimes.com/microsoft-facebook-twitter-yahoo-quietly-add-their-support-apples-fight-against-fbi-2312503

So yeah Apple is actually the only major company that does take privacy very seriously and its just ignorant of you not to accept it