Error 53 bricks iPhone 6 after updating to iOS9 if it has been repaired by a 3rd Party

Keudn
Go to solution Solved by RedRound2,

Wow, poor job OP as this is only half the story. First correct your title that this is only in the case of touch ID enabled home button. Second apple has acknowledged the issue and this is what they say

We protect fingerprint data using a secure enclave, which is uniquely paired to the Touch ID sensor. When iPhone is serviced by an authorised Apple service provider or Apple retail store for changes that affect the touch ID sensor, the pairing is re-validated. This check ensures the device and the iOS features related to touch ID remain secure. Without this unique pairing, a malicious touch ID sensor could be substituted, thereby gaining access to the secure enclave. When iOS detects that the pairing fails, touch ID, including Apple Pay, is disabled so the device remains secure.

Source: http://9to5mac.com/2016/02/05/error-53-iphone-6/

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

this time I don't agree with you

it;s like car manufacturer would say put engine oil from X company, but you used from Y company

and as soon as you go for scheduled car inspection that car would brick itself because of it

it absolutely is a an anti-consumer practice

by doing this, Apple forces the consumer in a corner and the consumer isn't even aware of the issue until it's too late

they don't block access to services related, like Apple Pay, they just brick your phone

do you think next time those affected by it would buy an iPhone? I seriously doubt that

there is no more growth in the smartphone market, it's saturated

---

I still don't' understand why people buy their overpriced HW, I guess they really like being treated like trash

That's a poor analogy. I think a better one would be those wireless beepers that unlocks your car. If you get it replaced at a third party repair shop,  it immobilizes your car. 

But hey, finally the iPhone is finally useful, as a paperweight.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

this time I don't agree with you

it;s like car manufacturer would say put engine oil from X company, but you used from Y company

and as soon as you go for scheduled car inspection that car would brick itself because of it

it absolutely is a an anti-consumer practice

by doing this, Apple forces the consumer in a corner and the consumer isn't even aware of the issue until it's too late

they don't block access to services related, like Apple Pay, they just brick your phone

do you think next time those affected by it would buy an iPhone? I seriously doubt that

there is no more growth in the smartphone market, it's saturated

---

I still don't' understand why people buy their overpriced HW, I guess they really like being treated like trash

It's because their hardware and software combo is superior for the vast majority of common consumer use cases. I need reliability and a no-nonsense useability because my time is extremely valuable both to me and my employers. I cannot spend the time futzing around with Android's numerous settings and skins, not to mention 80 different ROMs. I'm sorry but the Android ecosystem suffers the same thing the consumer Linux ecosystem does: fragmentation. It wastes my time. I'd rather pay $1300 total for a phone that will easily last me six years than have to pay 600 every 3 years for Android's newest replacements since updates don't come along and security is an issue for me. It is not anti-consumer. It's anti-stupid.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

34 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

so to protect you from your phone getting bricked by a third party apple is going to brick it themselves how thoughtful of them

No, to protect your banking info and fingerprint data from being stolen, Apple is willing to brick its phones when 3rd parties have messed with them.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

12 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

No, to protect your banking info and fingerprint data from being stolen, Apple is willing to brick its phones when 3rd parties have messed with them.

you dont have to unlock your phone and what if you want to fix it yourself

You could argue it's a security feature , but in this case it really is a way to stop 3rd party repair shops.

I mean , I understand if you would change the touchID button the device would lock itself up. It's totally fine. But not being able to recover from that , at all? That's a bit ridiculous. I understand that Apple wants their phone to be really secure , but come on. There should be some way to recover from that bricked state.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

7 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Wow, poor job OP as this is only half the story. First correct your title that this is only in the case of touch ID enabled home button. Second apple has acknowledged the issue and this is what they say

Yeah but all the data is permanently wiped as well. There should be a way for at least Apple themselves to recover the data because it's kind of messed up. 

I wanted to chime in here. I think a lot of people are missing the main reason behind this happening:

Unofficial third party home button fingerprint scanners. 

Now, since the fingerprint reader is tied directly to hardware level security and keychains (I believe), it is completely possible that an malicious home button could be sold on the market such that it performs man in the middle attacks in addition to having access to an secure hardware level realm in the CPU.

First of all, anybody who thinks compromising security to let possible malicious fingerprint readers to be used is out of their mind. Think of it like this: A few months or years from now we find out that fingerprint data along with secure information (account, payments) were compromised because of such an issue. That would result in an situation much worse than what happened here. 

Yes, its inconvenient that your phone becomes bricked. But in the grand scheme of things, that's better than letting an unknown device passing through fingerprint data (and possibly having that data skimmed, MIM attack, etc.)

Its like any security feature you see in the real world, here's something analogous: Cars have smart keys nowadays that are paired to the ignition controller and ECU. Try to replace the ignition and key, and the ECU knows not to validate and start the car because its mismatched. Same goes for some ECUs on nice cars: You can't replace it because it fails to validate with all the other components in the car. Hell, even car stereos have this feature. Try swapping stereos on newer cars, and they won't work because they validate across the CAN BUS with other components like the ECU. Your power seats, seat belts, transmission, AC all use this system to some degree.

Another analogy: There's only an handful of companies that deal with credit card readers/terminals. Would you trust an reader that was tampered with, replaced, or fixed by an unauthorized 3rd Party? If you don't trust sketchy credit card readers, how is it ok to trust an unknown fingerprint reader that authenticates with sensitive information? Seriously, someone explain this to me. I dont get it, or is it that we all bash Apple without thinking about the possible risks, the bigger picture, the impacts that could happen?

So, is it ideal that you brick your phone? No. Is it a good thing: Probably. Could it have been done an bit more elegantly? Yes.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

This has been going on for a while. I dont necessarily agree but i see where Apple is coming from with this. 

10 hours ago, Keudn said:

If you have had your iPhone 6 home button repaired by a third party, do NOT upgrade to iOS 9! Doing so will cause your phone to display Error 53, and according to Apple this is unrepairable and will require purchasing a new phone. 

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

According to the Guardian, 

The problem apparently lies in the fact that the phone checks to see if the home button is the original component, and if it isn't it locks the phone out, bricking itself.

What do you guys think? Should Apple be fixing or paying for the replacement phones that are affected by this problem?

That's the results of third parties, cheap prices = more problems. People should use only genuine products only.

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

It's because their hardware and software combo is superior for the vast majority of common consumer use cases. I need reliability and a no-nonsense useability because my time is extremely valuable both to me and my employers. I cannot spend the time futzing around with Android's numerous settings and skins, not to mention 80 different ROMs. I'm sorry but the Android ecosystem suffers the same thing the consumer Linux ecosystem does: fragmentation. It wastes my time. I'd rather pay $1300 total for a phone that will easily last me six years than have to pay 600 every 3 years for Android's newest replacements since updates don't come along and security is an issue for me. It is not anti-consumer. It's anti-stupid.

a phone is a phone is a phone

if you bought a smartphone to be anything else but a phone .. deal with it

I see a lot of people complaining that their smartphone's camera isn't "amazeballz" - what the actual fuck!? you want a DSLR, buy a fucking DSLR

a smartphone is a swiss knife that does a lot of stuff but not excelling at any - sometimes there aren't even good phones .. battery life xD

This thread is a perfect example as to why the LTT forum usersbase is made up majoritivly of the worst part of the 'tech enthusiast' group. Absolutely embarrassing.

10 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

imo this shouldnt brick the phone. It should disable TouchID functionality. But the phone should otherwise be usable. 

That would be the proper and fair way to code it.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

you dont have to unlock your phone and what if you want to fix it yourself

If people were smart enough to validate, this wouldn't be an issue.

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

a phone is a phone is a phone

if you bought a smartphone to be anything else but a phone .. deal with it

I see a lot of people complaining that their smartphone's camera isn't "amazeballz" - what the actual fuck!? you want a DSLR, buy a fucking DSLR

a smartphone is a swiss knife that does a lot of stuff but not excelling at any - sometimes there aren't even good phones .. battery life xD

52 hours is plenty for all but the stupid.

Just putting it out there that between this (which btw fuck off isn't acceptable under any circumstance, how the fuck is a normal consumer supposed to know that a fully functional repair is going to 100% kill their phone when Apple never even mentioned this?)  and ios updates routinely making previous generation devices unusable, people actually prefer essentially forced upgrades to the android issue?

I'd not be surprised if the same people bitch about Windows 10 updates being in their face, where at least office 2016 doesn't require Windows 10...

Hypocrisy much?

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Btw I'd just like to remind people that this issue can occur even if you are using first party parts, but did it on your own etc.

And normally all that happens is touch id becomes disabled. 

Now that is apparently too much of a "safety concern" for Apple so if you upgrade to ios 9 well then say goodbye to the whole device instead.

Gosh how could anyone be upset about that? Esp since what happens when you replace the button yourself (just loss of touch id) is the obviously correct and not idiotic solution anyways.

Go ahead and read the full ifixit article (they make all of the relevant points in this discussion) before defending Apple on this. 

http://ifixit.org/blog/7889/whats-up-with-error-53/

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

45 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Btw I'd just like to remind people that this issue can occur even if you are using first party parts, but did it on your own etc.

And normally all that happens is touch id becomes disabled. 

Now that is apparently too much of a "safety concern" for Apple so if you upgrade to ios 9 well then say goodbye to the whole device instead.

Gosh how could anyone be upset about that? Esp since what happens when you replace the button yourself (just loss of touch id) is the obviously correct and not idiotic solution anyways.

Go ahead and read the full ifixit article (they make all of the relevant points in this discussion) before defending Apple on this. 

http://ifixit.org/blog/7889/whats-up-with-error-53/

From the article:

If this only happens after “unauthorized” repairs to the phone, is Apple really just locking out replacement parts and third-party repairs?

We don’t know—and any answer we give would be completely speculative. Error 53 couldbe caused by an unforeseen bug, although if that were the case we hope they would have issued a software fix.

We dont know yet it an bricked device is the intended outcome. It could very well just be an quite drastic bug that locks up the whole phone rather than just disabling Touch ID. So, dont jump to conclusions just yet.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

1 hour ago, ionbasa said:

From the article:

We dont know yet it an bricked device is the intended outcome. It could very well just be an quite drastic bug that locks up the whole phone rather than just disabling Touch ID. So, dont jump to conclusions just yet.

Except a bricked device is the intended outcome:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/02/05/apple-acknowledges-error-53-glitch-says-its-part-of-touch-id-security

This is scummy no matter what people say, and I'm honestly shocked at the number of people defending Apple on this one. Once it's repaired by a third party, TouchID is disabled because the button isn't paired with the phone. THEN they brick your phone after an iOS update. This isn't a security measure, they already took steps by disabling TouchID and it's features.

And once your phone is bricked? Apple won't do anything about it because it's an unofficial repair, which means you've violated their warranty (unofficial repair in this case being any repair not done by Apple). So have fun shelling out money for a new phone.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Oh fucking dandy apple. Great fucking job you goddamn twats. 

" You decided to fix your phone instead of purchasing another 600$ phone? Oh well screw you guys we don't like that. So screw yourself we'll " Fix " your phone for ya so you have to come back and purchase another phone so you can line our wallets " 

It's like if I bought a goddamn new door for my house and my home insurance plan is voided because I decided I wanted a new door, or replace the door.  So they're going to penalty me instead of going through them to get it fixed or replaced.

Who the hell does that? Apple am not going back or touching another of your products, I wouldn't be surprised they soon start bricking phones for not using 100 percent Apple products with it. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

11 hours ago, Nineshadow said:

You could argue it's a security feature , but in this case it really is a way to stop 3rd party repair shops.

I mean , I understand if you would change the touchID button the device would lock itself up. It's totally fine. But not being able to recover from that , at all? That's a bit ridiculous. I understand that Apple wants their phone to be really secure , but come on. There should be some way to recover from that bricked state.

11 hours ago, NtB said:

Yeah but all the data is permanently wiped as well. There should be a way for at least Apple themselves to recover the data because it's kind of messed up. 

8 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

imo this shouldnt brick the phone. It should disable TouchID functionality. But the phone should otherwise be usable. 

That would be the proper and fair way to code it.

1 hour ago, Daegun said:

Except a bricked device is the intended outcome:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/02/05/apple-acknowledges-error-53-glitch-says-its-part-of-touch-id-security

This is scummy no matter what people say, and I'm honestly shocked at the number of people defending Apple on this one. Once it's repaired by a third party, TouchID is disabled because the button isn't paired with the phone. THEN they brick your phone after an iOS update. This isn't a security measure, they already took steps by disabling TouchID and it's features.

And once your phone is bricked? Apple won't do anything about it because it's an unofficial repair, which means you've violated their warranty (unofficial repair in this case being any repair not done by Apple). So have fun shelling out money for a new phone.

I don't think data or the phone is completely unrecoverable. Apple said to people who are affected to contact support

Again it's these reporters who are saying that the phone is bricked and unrecoverable

If a customer encounters Error 53, we encourage them to contact Apple Support."

I'm extremely surprised how biased the moderator community is here at LTT. Everytime I see those guys locking threads for stupid reasons or a minor misinformation but ignoring a misinformation about an apple article just shows the fanboy nature of most of them. Expected better from this community

I can understand apple's decision to do this but to brick the phone is a tad too far. I would understand if they just disabled TouchID and other security features. Or just showed a pop up message every time the phone is rebooted to say that they need to get the part replaced by an authorised individual.

Personally, I dont really like iPhones, hence why I have an LG G3 but this has put me off them completely.

4 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Just putting it out there that between this (which btw fuck off isn't acceptable under any circumstance, how the fuck is a normal consumer supposed to know that a fully functional repair is going to 100% kill their phone when Apple never even mentioned this?)  and ios updates routinely making previous generation devices unusable, people actually prefer essentially forced upgrades to the android issue?

I'd not be surprised if the same people bitch about Windows 10 updates being in their face, where at least office 2016 doesn't require Windows 10...

Hypocrisy much?

You're not forced to update; it is 100% your own choice. Secondly, iOS 9 runs perfectly fine on four+ year old hardware....so I'm not sure what you're complaining about. W7 runs like ass on a machine designed for do, expecting iOS 9 to run equally smoothly on a device designed for iOS 5/6 with significantly slower hardware is naive at best and moronic at worst.

47 minutes ago, MrAngryOven said:

I can understand apple's decision to do this but to brick the phone is a tad too far. I would understand if they just disabled TouchID and other security features. Or just showed a pop up message every time the phone is rebooted to say that they need to get the part replaced by an authorised individual.

Personally, I dont really like iPhones, hence why I have an LG G3 but this has put me off them completely.

The fact that Apple specifically (and only) targets touchid repairs and nothing else (like a far more common screen repair) makes me think that there's is an underlying security issue involved that simply disabling touchid wouldn't sufficiently solve.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

I don't think data or the phone is completely unrecoverable. Apple said to people who are affected to contact support

Again it's these reporters who are saying that the phone is bricked and unrecoverable

I'm extremely surprised how biased the moderator community is here at LTT. Everytime I see those guys locking threads for stupid reasons or a minor misinformation but ignoring a misinformation about an apple article just shows the fanboy nature of most of them. Expected better from this community

"When Olmos, who says he has spent thousands of pounds on Apple products over the years, took it to an Apple store in London, staff told him there was nothing they could do, and that his phone was now junk. He had to pay £270 for a replacement and is furious."

YAY for apple's tech support and no data losses! Oh no... wait! theguardian is clearly anti-apple biased.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

18 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You're not forced to update; it is 100% your own choice. Secondly, iOS 9 runs perfectly fine on four+ year old hardware....so I'm not sure what you're complaining about. W7 runs like ass on a machine designed for do, expecting iOS 9 to run equally smoothly on a device designed for iOS 5/6 with significantly slower hardware is naive at best and moronic at worst.

The fact that Apple specifically (and only) targets touchid repairs and nothing else (like a far more common screen repair) makes me think that there's is an underlying security issue involved that simply disabling touchid wouldn't sufficiently solve.

apparently also affects screen replacements:

"

Posting a message on an Apple Support Communities forum on 31 December, “Arjunthebuster” is typical. He/she says they bought their iPhone 6 in January 2015 in Dubai, and dropped it the following month causing a small amount of damage.

They carried on using the phone, but when they tried to install iOS 9 in November “error 53” popped up. “The error hasn’t occurred because I broke my phone (it was working fine for 10 months). I lost all my data because of this error. I don’t want Apple to fix my screen or anything! I just want them to fix the ‘error 53’ so I can use my phone, but they won’t!”"

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Louis Rossmann made a great job and he makes amazing points. My opinion Apple is being anti-consumer and are just being dicks. WHY DOESN'T THIS HAPPEN ON 5s ? 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650