[Build Log] Passively Cooled 400W/300W TDP System Under 100$

iamdarkyoshi

Update: Thermal paste EVERYWHERE

Spoiler

Got one heatsink panel made and I have made mounting hardware for the GPU heatpipe squid.

Here is the heatsink panel:

IMG_20160313_205120.thumb.jpg.bca933cb8d

And here is the GPU heatsquid:

IMG_20160313_205157.thumb.jpg.55f1fc644f

I have not mounted the heatsquid to the heatsink panel yet, nor have I made any temporary cooling solution for the VRMs and videoram on the 8800gts, which will be my test card. I have also not added thermal paste to the heatsquid as I will need to be taking it apart quite a bit.

@Stefan1024 When I go to test the 8800GTS which has a TDP of roughly half of the 390x and I want the 390x to reach a max of 80 degrees, what temp should I hope for on the 8800gts with an ambient temp of 25 degrees?

Hopefully I can do some testing tomorrow. Note that the heatsquid side of the GPU heatsink will also have heatinks on it, so a 2 sided heatsink with a GPU in the middle. Or rather in the corner...

How will the system once assembled look like?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Thread moved to Build Logs.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

16 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

A sandwich of heatsinks, aluminum panel, GPU/more heatsinks, heatsinks, panel, motherboard

Can you do a paint sketch?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Update: Thermal paste EVERYWHERE

Hide contents

@Stefan1024 When I go to test the 8800GTS which has a TDP of roughly half of the 390x and I want the 390x to reach a max of 80 degrees, what temp should I hope for on the 8800gts with an ambient temp of 25 degrees?

Nice!

Once you reached equilibrium (will take about an hour), the thermal resistance is a linear function.

Half the TDP -> half the temperatur difference: (80 - 25) / 2 +25 = 52.5 °C

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Small update: good and bad news.

The thermals are pretty bad right now for a couple reasons.

The thermal paste I used on thr GPU has a thermal conductivity of 1.2w/m.k

My heatsquid covers about 50% of the panel, mostly the left bottom. The right side is pretty much cool.

The heatsinks ehere the heatsquid is mounted are warm, but not really hot...

Anyway when I started unengine heavrn, the temps shot to 70 very quivkly and just stayed there. It has been running for about 10 minutes with a room temp of 20 degrees and it is now 77 degrees. The hottest heatsink feels like it just hit 50 degrees and most of them are in the 40-25 degree range. I need to add more heatpipes snaking back and forth on the back of the panel. Good thing I have a shitload of them.

Yah also my VRAM cooling solution is working horribly, so they have a fan pointed at them...

This is seriously linus level ghetto mounting right there...

IMG_20160314_201516.thumb.jpg.5958f9e492

IMG_20160314_201509.thumb.jpg.adca5ad4ae

IMG_20160314_185317.thumb.jpg.1d2c6d5fc6

Haha yes that's very DIY looking. I like it.

When the temps rise fast at the beginning means you have a bad heat contact between the chip and the big heat sink(s). When they rise a lot over time, they are overpowered and need a high temperature to get rid of all the thermal power.

To me it looks like your mounting preasure is to low. It requires a considerable amount of force. When the PCB starts to bend (but only bend it a little bit) it has enougth preasure. Looks like the twisted strips are not up to this task.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

• 1 month later...

As a fellow passive cooling enthusiast, I must also follow.  Any updates here?

Take a look at the thread in my sig to get a sense of my passive cooling rig, which is still in progress.  One lesson learned from my solidworks simulations: this is not a heatsink size issue; it is a heat spreading issue. You need more heat pipes and greater contact between the heatpipes and the heatsink(s).

11 hours ago, nycesquire said:

As a fellow passive cooling enthusiast, I must also follow.  Any updates here?

Take a look at the thread in my sig to get a sense of my passive cooling rig, which is still in progress.  One lesson learned from my solidworks simulations: this is not a heatsink size issue; it is a heat spreading issue. You need more heat pipes and greater contact between the heatpipes and the heatsink(s).

Its a project on pause right now. I am very busy.