Noobi here Can someone explain the terms? Like. RAID, IDE mode vs AHCI mode?

zxkev

HI

I have hard time to understand what is RAID, IDE mode , AHCI mode and  SATA Express

And how those things affects on SSD and HHD?

Because i try to build a PC

I have Raider x99

With Samsung 850 EVO 500GB and Western Digital WD Green WD20EARX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

Here is the manual for my motherboard

Tell me where should i place my drives and  to get the best prominence

E7885v5.0.pdf

IDE: This is the old school Parallel ATA port and instruction set. It is absolutely obsolete at this point. The only reason you should use it is if your hardware/software absolutely requires it for some reason.

AHCI: This is a newer instruction set that replaced the IDE one, it is generally, but not always, used in conjunction with SATA ports. It allows for a few more features, like hot swapping, and generally increases performance through various other ways. Most HDDs and 2.5" SSDs use this, along with some, but not all, PCIe based storage.

RAID: A special instruction set that allows RAID features, most motherboards today support RAID's 0, 1, 10, and sometimes 5. This allows multiple drives to be combined in various ways to gain redundancy, performance, or both, while sacrificing some storage space.

SATA Express: This is the new standard for SATA with it's own new style port that looks like 2.5 regular SATA ports. However, instead of having it's own special band on the chipset, it is PCIe based to achieve higher bandwidth. There currently are very few, if any, devices that actually support SATA Express as everything seems to be favoring other PCIe solutions such as M.2.

For your drives specifically, both those run off of a normal SATA III 6Gbps port. You will want these set to AHCI mode for best performance.