Noctua Bathroom Fans

Ryoutarou97

Also I'd probably use a static pressure fan since it is going through at least a few feet of (probably flex) duct and a vent cover. Most cheap bath fans are about 50cfm with some of the bigger ones going up past 100cfm

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

4 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

Tbh, I know more than my dad when it comes to electronics and DIY generally, He is good at things like decorating and house things but electricity... If anything he has to ask me how to do stuff sometimes

My dad has a degree in electrical engineering, so good point. 

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

Just now, Ryoutarou97 said:

My dad has a degree in electrical engineering, so good point. 

Wow, I wish my dad had the same qualifications. I think he is best at his knowledge of Geography and History which is of no use to me. Lol

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

2 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

Also I'd probably use a static pressure fan since it is going through at least a few feet of (probably flex) duct and a vent cover. Most cheap bath fans are about 50cfm with some of the bigger ones going up past 100cfm

Good point. I was thinking that there wasn't much obstruction since a vent lets more air through than a rad, but I forgot about the duct.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

1 minute ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

Good point. I was thinking that there wasn't much obstruction since a vent lets more air through than a rad, but I forgot about the duct.

Yeah depends on who installed it too. Flex duct can really kill airflow if used improperly, and most installers I've seen use it improperly.

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Just now, Brennan_Price said:

Wow, I wish my dad had the same qualifications. I think he is best at his knowledge of Geography and History which is of no use to me. Lol

It sounds nice, but he uses his power for evil. Or at least to punish me. 

Its possible that it may work, but i dont think i would personally do it. Bathrooms and houses in general have to be up to a specific code. This website here http://thehtrc.com/2013/getting-details-right-bathroom-exhaust-venting says that the fan needs to be at least 50 CFM, and a certain size depending on how your bathroom is set up. Check the building codes for your state or area to see of it would even be legal to do. Its a cool idea none the less, i have 2 vents for bathrooms in my house and they are loud. 

2 minutes ago, corsairian said:

Its possible that it may work, but i dont think i would personally do it. Bathrooms and houses in general have to be up to a specific code. This website here http://thehtrc.com/2013/getting-details-right-bathroom-exhaust-venting says that the fan needs to be at least 50 CFM, and a certain size depending on how your bathroom is set up. Check the building codes for your state or area to see of it would even be legal to do. Its a cool idea none the less, i have 2 vents for bathrooms in my house and they are loud. 

FAN POLICE! OPEN UP! But dang. Freaking bathroom vents. It's not really a pressing issue, but it would be nice to have a quiet bathroom.

I'd recommend putting a fan controller on it or something, because otherwise it will just spin at full power, and even Noctua fans can get a little noisy at full power.

Good luck on your adventure and please share your results. I'm curious as to how it turns out.

38 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

It sounds nice, but he uses his power for evil. Or at least to punish me. 

What do you mean by evil and punishing you?

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

1 minute ago, Brennan_Price said:

What do you mean by evil and punishing you?

Okay, so maybe I was being melodramatic. He knows that the fastest way into my heart (in a bad way) is to cut off the function of my electronics and he knows how to make that happen.

29 minutes ago, HamsterBurglar said:

I'd recommend putting a fan controller on it or something, because otherwise it will just spin at full power, and even Noctua fans can get a little noisy at full power.

Good luck on your adventure and please share your results. I'm curious as to how it turns out.

SP fans are barely above 50CFM, though. Not like I need complete silence, and it does need to be functional at least. Maybe I could set up a few and then run them slower.

52 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

Okay, so maybe I was being melodramatic. He knows that the fastest way into my heart (in a bad way) is to cut off the function of my electronics and he knows how to make that happen.

Oh, I get you. That must be annoying. 

My Rig:

Waiting on a head gasket for my truck, new Bluetooth mouse and a drive enclosure.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

1 hour ago, Icuw1pc said:

Waiting on a head gasket for my truck, new Bluetooth mouse and a drive enclosure.

I... I hope you enjoy them? 

Holy shit, I did this about a year ago with one of their fans, its been doing great  (previously twp had broken in the same spot). I'v been meaning to make a post about it, but never figured that people would be interested. :P

EDIT wow i need to check before hitting post. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

5 minutes ago, Nup said:

Holy shit

Heh. Good one.

5 minutes ago, Nup said:

Holy shit, I did this about a year ago with one of their fans, its been doing great  (previously tow had brown in the same spot). I'v been meaning to make a post about it, but never figured that people would be interested. :P

Oh, which fan did you use? I spend something like half an hour a day in there at least (downside of bringing a computer- you get distracted), seems a decent enough fraction of my life to optimize.

4 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

Heh. Good one.

Oh, which fan did you use? 

The IPPC range, and specifically the 120mm IP67 (for piece of mind) 2000 rpm one. The old broken fan already had a small pcb for a ~15 min timer, which I used along with a waterproof power supply from amazon. Its happily held up since. Much much better quality then the previous 100mm ones that died and looks a good deal better too. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

15 hours ago, Brennan_Price said:

What are ya saying, that us minors cant do things ourselves? I will let you know that I am 14 and am currently in the process of making my own portable speaker for when I go on holiday. I have also wired many things straight from the wall to power my projects. I even use a 300W PSU sometimes if I need more power.

No not at all, I'm just saying you should consult your parents before you do anything like that just because I or anyone in this community doesn't want to be blamed for someone doing something and blaming us for telling them to do it :)

I never asked my parents for any kind of permission but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. Now take care ;)

About me | Blog 

8 hours ago, Macronus said:

No not at all, I'm just saying you should consult your parents before you do anything like that just because I or anyone in this community doesn't want to be blamed for someone doing something and blaming us for telling them to do it :)

I never asked my parents for any kind of permission but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. Now take care ;)

Will do, even though I've only actually injured myself a few times :) 

My Rig:

Seriously???  its a computer fan...   

If your serious about cutting noise they make "duct fans" and you can move the fan out of the bathroom and into the attic... 

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

54 minutes ago, ryanmmax said:

If your serious about cutting noise they make "duct fans" and you can move the fan out of the bathroom and into the attic... 

Please don't try to be practical here. But that would also work, I suppose.

56 minutes ago, ryanmmax said:

Noctua's industrial line is built to work in damn near any condition. On a piece of machinery, it would be the last thing still working... Why not?

16 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Noctua's industrial line is built to work in damn near any condition. On a piece of machinery, it would be the last thing still working... Why not?

the simplest reason for "why not" is 12V DC vs 120V AC....  So unless you want to ALSO install a DC power supply, which would mean either hard wiring it in (probably not code) or installing a 120V outlet to pug into off the switch. 

Aside from that, noctua fans are not designed to push air through ducts, despite there performance in computers larger fans exist that are deeper then 25mm and larger then 140mm, and 120volt...  

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm