Noctua Bathroom Fans

Ryoutarou97

Could I replace the fan in a bathroom with something like a 140mm noctua airflow optimised fan to make it quiet enough to let me use laptop speakers when on the john?

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

Just now, Ryoutarou97 said:

Could I replace the fan in a bathroom with something like a 140mm noctua airflow optimised fan to make it quiet enough to let me use laptop speakers when on the john?

Why not? Give it a go. Once you DYI this you might start doing other things. Just be careful with electricity. You might ask your dad for help if you are a minor :D

About me | Blog 

1 minute ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

1 question. Why would you use your laptop when in the bathroom? x'D

Just now, Kryptic BladeZz said:

One question- why wouldn't you? What do you do in there? Just... sit? I'm not a huge fan of phones, and even then I could listen to music.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

Dude. I had the same idea because my brand new super expensive home has the cheapest and shittiest exhaust fans CONNECTED TO THE DAMN LIGHTS and it wakes everyone up when I need to take a piss at 3:00 in the morning...

1 minute ago, Macronus said:

Why not? Give it a go. Once you DYI this you might start doing other things. Just be careful with electricity. You might ask your dad for help if you are a minor :D

How did you know!? I hope I can get permission :D

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Dude. I had the same idea because my brand new super expensive home has the cheapest and shittiest exhaust fans CONNECTED TO THE DAMN LIGHTS and it wakes everyone up when I need to take a piss at 3:00 in the morning...

Will you go for it? For now you could use a phone as a light or just. sit. down. on. the. toilet. Light wakes me up in the middle of the night, so I just navigate by memory and since I've lived at my house for so long.

I wish noctua made ceiling fans. Normal ones are way too loud for movie watching.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Some bath fans have interchangeable internals with higher grade replacements available. Google the model number and check it out. Otherwise that sounds like a good idea, I install bath fans at work (among other things) and noisy bath fans are one of the biggest pains in my ass to fix, even though they are very simple

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

oh, I hate those!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

2 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

Will you go for it? For now you could use a phone as a light or just. sit. down. on. the. toilet. Light wakes me up in the middle of the night, so I just navigate by memory and since I've lived at my house for so long.

But when I grab my phone in the middle of the night..........

a99176f17f98d40c567bce80a2707a2090dddb5e 

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Their color scheme fits a bathroom perfectly.

I totally forgot to put this in my post! I was thinking it as I walked.

2 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

Some bath fans have interchangeable internals with higher grade replacements available. Google the model number and check it out. Otherwise that sounds like a good idea, I install bath fans at work (among other things) and noisy bath fans are one of the biggest pains in my ass to fix, even though they are very simple

How do you fix them?

3 minutes ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

I wish noctua made ceiling fans. Normal ones are way too loud for movie watching.

Maybe you could duct tape 4 200mm fans together to make a mega-fan. I promise this is not a stupid idea.

This does seem like a really good idea though. I don't know how much air it would move compared to the "stock" bathroom fans that spin at like 10000 rpm. I might have to try this.

1 minute ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

This does seem like a really good idea though. I don't know how much air it would move compared to the "stock" bathroom fans that spin at like 10000 rpm. I might have to try this.

Wait, do they really? Damn, no wonder they're so loud. At worst I could- and I begin to question the idea when I have to say this about getting rid of poo-smell and steam- run them in push/pull. Although there's no radiator so I suppose it's just doubling up.

3 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

Wait, do they really? Damn, no wonder they're so loud. At worst I could- and I begin to question the idea when I have to say this about getting rid of poo-smell and steam- run them in push/pull. Although there's no radiator so I suppose it's just doubling up.

I have some high pressure delta fans I might try. The main issue is the damn vibrations from the existing off balance fan 

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I have some high pressure delta fans I might try. The main issue is the damn vibrations from the existing off balance fan 

Suddenly a non-techie stumbles on this thread and is forced to make an account to tell us to just open the damn window. How would one go about mounting it? If you screwed it into the ceiling (from above the vent downwards) vibrations would probably be no problem.

19 minutes ago, Macronus said:

What are ya saying, that us minors cant do things ourselves? I will let you know that I am 14 and am currently in the process of making my own portable speaker for when I go on holiday. I have also wired many things straight from the wall to power my projects. I even use a 300W PSU sometimes if I need more power.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Just now, Brennan_Price said:

What are ya saying, that us minors cant do things ourselves? I will let you know that I am 14 and am currently in the process of making my own portable speaker for when I go on holiday. I have also wired many things straight from the wall to power my projects. I even use a 300W PSU sometimes if I need more power.

Yes, yes, youth power. I'm 17 and wouldn't trust myself with anything more than microwaving ramen. Does it really hurt to have an adult helping? Better than wiring something wrong and burning down the house.

13 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

How do you fix them?

Depends on the type of fan.  Most of the time you can wedge something soft like insulation between the fan housing and the drywall, or trimming a small amount of drywall away from the fan, making sure to leave enough to be covered by the shroud. if it is in a room with an attic above it you can go up there and remount it with padding between the fan and joist if that doesn't work.

Some are just noisy and you can't do much with them though other than maybe suspending a noctua in there

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

26 minutes ago, Kryptic BladeZz said:

I do all the time, it's a good time to get things done lol.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Just now, Ryoutarou97 said:

Yes, yes, youth power. I'm 17 and wouldn't trust myself with anything more than microwaving ramen. Does it really hurt to have an adult helping? Better than wiring something wrong and burning down the house.

Tbh, I know more than my dad when it comes to electronics and DIY generally, He is good at things like decorating and house things but electricity... If anything he has to ask me how to do stuff sometimes

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

28 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

I don't know why you wouldn't be able to, just make sure not to mess up when your wiring it in.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000