home cinema o:)

N0way

hey guys, i have a dream of having my own little private cinema.. maybe one day i will build one. but let me ask you and give me some inspiration. 1st is projector and audio - movie without  a good visual and audio quality sux .. so tell me just for inspiration. Then how to play the movie (expecting 3D support) .. from pc or some other solution? thanks alot for inspiration :)

Not really sure what you mean by inspiration, so I'll just toss out a run down of my home theater. I don't have a enough space in the room for a projector, so I have a 60in 1080p LG IPS TV. I've got a pretty solid 5.1 surround setup. Receiver: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040. Front LR: Polk RTiA7. Rear LR: Polk RTiA3. Center: Polk CSiA4. Subwoofer: Definitive Technology Supercube 4000. Those Polk speakers draw a ton of power! Then I have a few gaming consoles and my PC setup close enough to run an HDMI into the receiver. This setup is really solid. This setup as a whole is really great for where I am right now (in college living with parents). I have pretty high hopes for what I will be able to do when I graduate and have a real job and can get some truly high end equipment. Not to say that the stuff I have now isn't high end, it's just that there is a lot higher end stuff out there. 

My next TV would be hopefully and OLED TV, but those are quite expensive.So, it just depends on what works for me when I can afford a something of that caliber. I am definitely considering going for a projector, but there are a lot of factors that go into having a projector setup. High end home theater projectors get very expensive very quickly. Plus there's the cost of the screen which can be quite pricey by itself. And it also depends on what room it is going into in terms of light and space. With that said, a project would be awesome, but I would have the go-big-or-go-home mentality and would be looking at the really high end stuff and modifying a room if necessary. 

As far as audio goes, oh my gosh audio. There are so many different avenues for high end audio! I went to a local home theater shop earlier this month looking for a headphone amp, so while I was there I listened to some of the (expensive) speakers they had setup and it was truly beautiful. Also, it was a small ish room and a lot of different setups cluttered around into a similar setup to what could be a living room with furniture. So, the usual "Oh its just a sound studio that they setup that makes any speakers sound good" argument seemed to be (mostly) eliminated. Anyway, there is a lot of stuff out there! You can get real crazy and shove in amps instead of using the integrated amp in the receiver. 

I have tried using my PC as the home theater system and it was a bit of a pain. Dealing with drivers to configure sound and whatnot can be annoying. And VLC doesn't always have the best compatibility with the newest Blu-rays. I personally find it easier to use a dedicated Blu-ray player or a gaming console for watching movies and streaming Netflix and stuff. This is just my personal experience. Your mileage may vary. 

A great way to get inspiration is to find a local shop of some sort. I do work at Best Buy and I will say, the Magnolia sections are okay but it is not the best. There are certainly some people there who know what they're talking about, but it can definitely be hit or miss. If you have a local high end home theater shop, that is possibly a better choice to check out some nice equipment. 

I am by no means an expert, but I have some experience in this category. So, I will gladly help out as best I can with any of this stuff!