New hard drive sounds

Astrus

So I bought and installed a new hard drive yesterday. It’s a 2Tb Seagate Desktop ST2000DM001 HDD. In general, the hard drive is very quiet, but every 5-10 minutes it makes a short high pitch noise, almost like a scratchy beeping sound (Don’t know if that makes any sense xD). I'm not used tho those kind of sounds from my old WD hard drive. Anyone know if this is normal or did I get a bad hard drive? Thanks

This doesn't sound normal. Take all the  data off and RMA it.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

10 minutes ago, Astrus said:

~snip~

Hey there Astrus,

Does the drive behave like this if you are constantly writing or reading from it? This may be a sound from the drive spinning down or spinning back up. I'd do a diagnostic test with a tool from the manufacturer and see if the drive passes the tests. I'd then verify them with a third-party tool that gives you the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status and see if everything is OK there. If you are not sure how to read them - feel free to post them here and we'll help you. :)
Contacting the manufacturer's support can also be a good idea.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

50 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there Astrus,

Does the drive behave like this if you are constantly writing or reading from it? This may be a sound from the drive spinning down or spinning back up. I'd do a diagnostic test with a tool from the manufacturer and see if the drive passes the tests. I'd then verify them with a third-party tool that gives you the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status and see if everything is OK there. If you are not sure how to read them - feel free to post them here and we'll help you. :)
Contacting the manufacturer's support can also be a good idea.

Captain_WD.

So I downloaded the SeaTools and did the S.M.A.R.T. test and all it said was "pass". So i used a program called Disk Checkup, which gave me the "S.M.A.R.T. Info" in the uploaded ".txt" file. And i heard the sound each time I started the S.M.A.R.T Test

DriveInfo.txt

Edit: Found the sound in a youtube video, still not sure if its normal :)

Edit 2: After reading more of the comments this appears to be normal with this HDD, disabling the APM apparently solves the problem.

21 hours ago, Astrus said:

~snip~

Since the drive passes the tests it should be safe to use. The S.M.A.R.T. status doesn't show any particular things to worry about. If you've solved your problem - congrats! If not - contacting the manufacturer might be a good idea and if this worries you you can simply exchange the drive for another one. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/