The US ranks 55th in terms of LTE download speeds

sylarspock

The US ranks 55th in terms of LTE download speeds

Report from OpenSignal compares country's LTE speeds and coverage

Spoiler

The quality of a country's mobile network is often decided by a recipe that's two parts economics, and one part geography. While small, developed nations like South Korea and Hong Kong can easily provide complete coverage and fast speeds to their dense populations, larger, poorer countries often struggle to deliver full bars to all of their territory. Countries that are big and rich, like America, tend to get networks that are somewhere in the middle — good on coverage, for example, but not so great on speed, as a report into LTE in the US by OpenSignal showed earlier this week. Now, the network-testing company has released its worldwide report for Q4 2015, allowing us to see how America stacks up with the rest of the globe.

THE US HAS FALLEN BEHIND THE REST OF THE WORLD ON LTE SPEEDS

Unfortunately, not much has changed since we last checked in with global LTE speeds. The US is still slipping behind the rest of the world when it comes to download speeds, with an average of 10 Mbps — ranking it 55th worldwide. It does much better when it comes to coverage (subscribers get an LTE signal 81 percent of the time — seventh best in the world), but it's still suffering from the first mover disadvantage. Like Japan and Sweden, the US got its LTE network early, but the technology is now old, and there are plenty of subscribers using it — meaning slower speeds for all. For context, the global average for download speeds on LTE is 13.5 Mbps, while Singapore offers the fastest networks, with downloads as quick as 40 Mbps. And in Q2 2015, America's average download speed was 9 Mbps.

Meanwhile, newer networks with up-to-date tech and fewer subscribers deliver faster speeds. OpenSignal notes that countries in South America, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East tend to demonstrate this trend (although their coverage might not be so good). Romania, for example, offers only 61 percent coverage for its LTE network, but has speeds as fast as 33 Mbps, ranking it sixth in the global leaderboard. But although the trend globally is for rising speeds (they're up nearly a whole megabit compared to last year), countries with established networks are finding it harder to improve with limited spectrum available to them. Looks like we might have to wait for 5G to get going before we get real next-generation mobile data.

Here's a global leaderboard for LTE speeds, and for more detailed data check out OpenSignal's full report.

5f91f0ddfe.jpg

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/4/10905740/global-lte-speeds-coverage-opensignal
Open Signal Report: http://opensignal.com/reports/2016/02/state-of-lte-q4-2015/

kewl

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

And the state that I live in ranks 49th in the happiest states in the U.S.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

3G ftw

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

From source:

https://opensignal.com/reports/2016/02/state-of-lte-q4-2015/

Fastest Networks With LTE:

SaskTel (Canada) 35 Mbps

oed-new-word-list-stephen-colbert__iphon

Super did not expect to see anything Canada on the list, and since it's SaskTel maybe I still haven't :p.  Still not enough to get me to move to Saskatchewan, but getting closer.

Then again it's probably only that fast because there are only 4 people on it throughout the day.  And if we look at the others listed for Canada saskTel is an obvious oddball in the cluster.

12 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

From source:

https://opensignal.com/reports/2016/02/state-of-lte-q4-2015/

Fastest Networks With LTE:

SaskTel (Canada) 35 Mbps

oed-new-word-list-stephen-colbert__iphon

Super did not expect to see anything Canada on the list, and since it's SaskTel maybe I still haven't :p.  Still not enough to get me to move to Saskatchewan, but getting closer.

Then again it's probably only that fast because there are only 4 people on it throughout the day.  And if we look at the others listed for Canada saskTel is an obvious oddball in the cluster.

Where I live in northern BC, Canada, the LTE is like 30/15, it was better than my home connection for a long time

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

1 hour ago, Belgarathian said:

New Zealand is second.... xD:oxD

This brings me a lot of happiness :D 

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

9 hours ago, NateGSR117 said:

The USA has fallen behind in a lot of things and it just sad

That has been the trend since the mid 2000's. The 1% is robbing us, and the politicians (being bought and all) are also helping them.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Yeah I don't use smart phones or really care about mobile internet, it would only allow me to waste necessary work time, wait canada is better, how is this measured since they have a lot of deadzones just as the US does (more so actually) is it just available 4G speeds or something.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I get ~45Mb/s at my house with T-Mobile. 

Got 10Mb/s with Verizon when I had it. 

Also, the USA is quite large. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

So, I'm beginning to question how accurate all this data is. Rootmetrics claims Verizon wins hands down, Opensignal claims T Mobile, and PCMag claims Verizon. There's a ton of conflicting information on speeds as well. As you can see, my speeds outdo the number 1 country on that list.

Here's my own speedtest:

mt1HOPl.png?1

I haven't looked into it too much but I assume all those reports are using mean instead of median. Also, I cant find any actual statistics, such as standard deviation, trials ran, etc. If we had all that info, we could actually do some tests and see if these results are presented poorly. My gut feeling tells me that the statistical difference in actual tested speeds dont varry by that much.

Would love to see some t-test, distribution plots,p-values, etc.

Edited by ionbasa

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Im usually fine with lte on sprint. But if im driving the service is terrible. Sometimes im not even able to watch a video in 1080, let alone 1440p. I really wish this wasnt a problem though...

Interesting, my country is not there, and in their test we were there with 16. I'm getting frequent 25+ in different location in the country so yeah... not even on the list.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

18 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I'm getting frequent 25+ in different location in the country

Maybe 85+% of territory of my country is covered with DC-HSDPA and I'm getting 30++ in cities and around 25Mbps outside them with 3G- who needs 4G?  

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

Sometimes I reckon most networks cannot even class 4G as 4G as its so slow it may as well be 3G/2G.

There is some days i've been sat trying to open a website and nothing happens.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Hello, here from down under with my speed of 0.5 upload speed and 2 download speed.

And this is from a 70 dollar per month plan

Halleh luiya

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn