ASRock's Latest BIOS Removes SkyOC Feature

HKZeroFive

ASRock has released the latest BIOS for their Skylake motherboards which removes the SkyOC feature. This confirms that Intel has asked vendors to disable overclocking support on their motherboards. Do note that removal of SkyOC feature not only limits users from overclocking their non-K chips, but also disables from non-Z series motherboards.

ASRock Sky OC

This is basically a continuation of this post:

Like the article says, it sounds like Intel might have had a word with ASRock on removing this overclocking feature. Which sucks, because it means that we might see other mobo vendors do the same exact thing. If you're not aware, SkyOC (or whatever you call it) allows for 'locked' or non-K Skylake CPUs to be BCLK overclocked with selected Z170 motherboards. People buying new motherboards already shipped with the updated BIOS won't have access to the SkyOC feature, unless you flash to an older BIOS (which is a pain in a neck).

So I guess my advice to you is to...uh...not update your BIOS?

Sources:

http://wccftech.com/intel-forcing-ban-nonk-oc-feature-skylake-motherboards-bios-rolling/

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Gaming%20K6+/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Intel, stop being dicks. Make every CPU unlocked and have 2 series of motherboards, the overclockable ones, and the locked one.

I feel like being able to use power savings and AVX Is helpful for some people.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Intel, stop being dicks. Make every CPU unlocked and have 2 series of motherboards, the unlock-able ones, and the locked one.

keep dreaming man xD.. if amd fail this time it will get even worse... intel can do anything they want

Intel, stop being dicks. Make every CPU unlocked and have 2 series of motherboards, the unlock-able ones, and the locked one.

How about you stop trying to tell Intel how to make CPUs. Theres very good reasons why they don't allow every CPU to be OCed and despite what the tinfoil hat brigade thinks, its mostly about consumer protection. They don't want consumers overclocking products which are not suitable for overclocking and killing them off then taking to the internet to declare Intel CPUs to be bad and dying all the time.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

9 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

How about you stop trying to tell Intel how to make CPUs. Theres very good reasons why they don't allow every CPU to be OCed and despite what the tinfoil hat brigade thinks, its mostly about consumer protection. They don't want consumers overclocking products which are not suitable for overclocking and killing them off then taking to the internet to declare Intel CPUs to be bad and dying all the time.

Couldn't agree more. (Didn't think the "agree" reputation thing showed my agreement enough)

it was a bad idea in the first place, we have this K and non-K Limitations for a reason 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

you do know how Intel manufacturers CPU's right, all the 1151 CPU's come from the same Silicon wafer. The dual cores are damaged quadcores that they use a laser to cut the other 2 damaged cores off. Of course theres binning in place. IE 6100 vs 6320.

The PCB to all the Skylake CPU's are the same, there is no danger. Only thing in danger is Intel's revenue.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Just now, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

it was a bad idea in the first place, we have this K and non-K Limitations for a reason 

To have a multi tier ecosystem?

That isn't a good reason.

5 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

To have a multi tier ecosystem?

That isn't a good reason.

yes it is, it's kinda like nvidia not allowing Mixing GPUs in SLI, it's to Guaranty the best performance possible, the same goes for intel, overclocking a CPU that's NOT optimized for that is kinda like Nitro injecting linus' civic, yes it will go faster but the second you decide to do that, you've ruined it 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

5 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

yes it is, it's kinda like nvidia not allowing Mixing GPUs in SLI, it's to Guaranty the best performance possible, the same goes for intel, overclocking a CPU that's NOT optimized for that is kinda like Nitro injecting linus' civic, yes it will go faster but the second you decide to do that, you've ruined it 

it's on the same PCB and same Silicon wafer as the other chips, YOU CANT DAMAGE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Gofspar said:

you do know how Intel manufacturers CPU's right, all the 1151 CPU's come from the same Silicon wafer. The dual cores are damaged quadcores that they use a laser to cut the other 2 damaged cores off. Of course theres binning in place. IE 6100 vs 6320.

The PCB to all the Skylake CPU's are the same, there is no danger. Only thing in danger is Intel's revenue.

The only difference between a 6500 and a 6600K is the microcode. Intel bin each CPU after manufacturing and assess the wafers performance, this is then used to determine which SKU the wafer makes it into. In other words Intel have checked each CPU to see if it can handle the extra pressure than OCing it will entail.

1 minute ago, Gofspar said:

it's on the same PCB and same Silicon wafer as the other chips, YOU CANT DAMAGE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course you can.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Gofspar said:

look man, if intel goes down that road and starts selling only unlocked CPUs don't think the pricing will be a problem, and how can you say YOU CAN'T DAMAGE IT !

You should be able to SLI a GTX 970 with a 980 if you wanted too, there would be a performance increase.

THERE IS NO GUARANTY with overclocking anyway, so why would having a "Locked" CPU unlocked mater?

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

You should be able to SLI a GTX 970 with a 980 if you wanted too, there would be a performance increase.

THERE IS NO GUARANTY with overclocking anyway, so why would having a "Locked" CPU unlocked mater?

Wuut ?! SLI 970 with a 980 !! 

Wuut ?! SLI 970 with a 980 !! 

"You should be able" not you are able.

There also use the same GPU, GM204

"You should be able" not you are able.

There also use the same GPU, GM204

no you can't, nvidia specifies SAME GPU, not same family or same chip, if that was the case you should also be able to SLI a 780 and a Titan, GK110 bouth, but ya can't 

46 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yeah, extremely good reasons:

money-sign-clip-art-dT8dA6qTe.jpeg

I mean is not like we don't already know overclocking voids warranties and it's one of the most extreme cases of "try at your own risk" if there ever was one.

-------

Current Rig

-------

no you can't, nvidia specifies SAME GPU, not same family or same chip, if that was the case you should also be able to SLI a 780 and a Titan, GK110 bouth, but ya can't 

I feel like I am talking to a brick wall.

You cannot, but you should be able to.

There is no reason you cannot other than nvidia blocks SLI with card that are not the same model but use the same GPU.

16 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The only difference between a 6500 and a 6600K is the microcode. Intel bin each CPU after manufacturing and assess the wafers performance, this is then used to determine which SKU the wafer makes it into. In other words Intel have checked each CPU to see if it can handle the extra pressure than OCing it will entail.

Of course you can.

Yeah with 1.8v on air you can kill anything, my point is the only reason they are doing this is for profit margins

4 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I feel like I am talking to a brick wall.

You cannot, but you should be able to.

There is no reason you cannot other than nvidia blocks SLI with card that are not the same model but use the same GPU.

well, dude you can't, period .No should's, we talking about what we can and cannot do not what we wish to do, and nvidia blocks that to guarantee optimal performance ;) 

well, dude you can't, period .No should's, we talking about what can and cannot do not what we wish to do, and nvidia blocks that to guarantee optimal performance ;) 

Nvdia and intel don't block OC'ing or SLIing card with a slightly different model not to make it preform faster, but just to make more money.

I could Xfire a HD 7870 XT with a R9 280x GHz if I wanted to, it will not be as fast as a HD 7950 Xfire, but it isn't a slow as a single R9 280x GHz.

20 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

and how many consumers do YOU see sporting dual CPU motherboard???

TBH, i think there is like TWO people on these forums that has such setups. Which is ridiculously low. If 2/10000 enthusiasts has that setup, and normal consumers outnumber the enthusiasts by a ratio of 100,000/1... well... i think the chance of a mix-up being so slim that it isnt even worth caring for. you see, the real reason intel has tiers, is purely 100% due to MAKING THE MOST MONEY.same with Nvidia. Only reason they wont let you have a 980Ti with a 750Ti PhysX card is because THEY WANT YOUR MONEY.

when a company says they are doing something in "your" interest, or to give "you the best experience". Then that is purely, 100%, unquestionable MARKETING, to make you buy more shit, and more expensive shit, then you had planned.

Companies, be it Nvidia, AMD, Intel, Sony, Microsoft, Apple, Samsung. They do not give a shit about you as a consumer. They only give a fuck about selling you products. Why does intel have so many i3 versions?Because that allows OEMs to make THAT ONE MACHINE THAT IS BETTER THEN THAT OTHER MACHINE. and anyone but a person with knowledge about computers will go EHRMAGAWD, DIS HAS 100MHz FASTERS. MUST BE GR8... AND IS ONLY 50 BUCKS MORE. EHRMAGAWD ZOMG TAKE MA MUNEH

That is why. That is the ONLY reason why.If an i3 can be made AS fast as an i5, costing 50-100 bucks less, then EVERYONE would go EHRMAGAWD, i5 SO OVERPRICED, i3 w/OC IS DA SHIT ZOMG, GIT i3

I don't understand what is wrong with some of you guys and the inability to see what is right in front of your faces.  If you can buy a $200 i5 6500 and OC it to 4GHz without breaking a sweat, why the f*ck would you ever pay $270 for the i5 6600K?  You wouldn't, not if you had a budget.

Intel knows this.  We know this.  Fuck Intel.  The bios' are available.  Flashing a bios on a motherboard takes a minute.  OC'ing on locked Skylake CPUs is here to stay.  Get it?  This move is for people that don't learn, but believe what they are told.  Intel has YOUR best interest at heart, REALLY.