"Abbot's Internet" - Australia's Internet

mvinc17

It is with a heavy heart I write this, but the coalition government appears to have one, along with a politician who thinks that 25Mbps up is a good thing and is cutting edge in Australia. Click Here to watch a video in relation to Abbot's internet.

What does this mean?

This means that the internet in Australia, which is already outdated, is going to be limited to copper speeds. Abbot's plan involves running fibre to the ends of the street and copper back to the homes, which results in 2 things:

-Slow internet

-TARDIS sized boxes at the end of each street

Abbot has successfully brought our country back in time.

Well done Abbot! You win! We loose!

Out of pure sadness, I have changed my business' homepage in protest of Abbot's Internet. Click Here to view.

What do you think about Australia and it's internet?

Intel Core i7 3930k @ Stock    Corsair H80i    Zalman z11 Plus    16GB Corsair Memory     nVidia GeForce GTX 680 4GB     nVidia GeForce GTX 650Ti (PhysX, was a spare card)

Samsung 840 Series 120GB   Corsair Force 3 60GB    2 X 1TB WD Black    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit / Mac OSX 10.8.3

Keyboard: Razar Black Widow Ultimate 2013    Mouse: Razar Deathadder 2013    Monitor(s): 2x BenQ GW2250 + LG Flatron E2211 + Generic GVA Aux Display / TV Speakers: Logitech z506 + 300w Sub

Sorry for the language in advance:       Abbott's plan is nothing but half-arse bullshit. This is the reason nothing fucking gets done in Australia, because we like to leave jobs half finished for some other poor fucker to fix when Abbott's out of Government. Labor's plan was expensive, but it was future proof. Liberal's plan for 'Fibre to nodes' is complete and utter bullshit. Australia needs faster internet but this fucker is just too fucking lazy to understand what we really need.

Rant over.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Dude i want more internet and i want it now...dont care how i get it and as long as its at a decent speed i couldn't give a fuck

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

So from what i get is its going to be like FTTB ?

What you people don't understand is that fiber to your homes is not going to solve your slow internet problems, ordinary copper (as in cat5/6) can do 1gig. They are doing this because its expensive to put fiber switches at every end of the street and also that fiber is very fragile so to avoid consumers damaging it they are just giving you copper which is cheap and fast to repair.

Australia has horrible internet because its geologically in a sh*t place.

Most of EU is wired FTTB (Fiber to the building) and split off to copper connections for users and we are just now starting to hit bottlenecks with 10/100 switches that are in place to distribute that fiber connection so Australia is years and years away from any normal speeds however there is nothing you and the providers can do about the latency.

If i was wrong and they are going to deploy massive Coax networks then yes you are pretty much going back in time.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

So from what i get is its going to be like FTTB ?

What you people don't understand is that fiber to your homes is not going to solve your slow internet problems, ordinary copper (as in cat5/6) can do 1gig. They are doing this because its expensive to put fiber switches at every end of the street and also that fiber is very fragile so to avoid consumers damaging it they are just giving you copper which is cheap and fast to repair.

Australia has horrible internet because its geologically in a sh*t place.

Most of EU is wired FTTB (Fiber to the building) and split off to copper connections for users and we are just now starting to hit bottlenecks with 10/100 switches that are in place to distribute that fiber connection so Australia is years and years away from any normal speeds however there is nothing you and the providers can do about the latency.

If i was wrong and they are going to deploy massive Coax networks then yes you are pretty much going back in time.

Rufee,

I agree with you in that cat5/6 can do gigabit, however our government is using the existing cat 3 &4 which is limited to (theoretically) 10 and 16 Mbps respectively.

Intel Core i7 3930k @ Stock    Corsair H80i    Zalman z11 Plus    16GB Corsair Memory     nVidia GeForce GTX 680 4GB     nVidia GeForce GTX 650Ti (PhysX, was a spare card)

Samsung 840 Series 120GB   Corsair Force 3 60GB    2 X 1TB WD Black    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit / Mac OSX 10.8.3

Keyboard: Razar Black Widow Ultimate 2013    Mouse: Razar Deathadder 2013    Monitor(s): 2x BenQ GW2250 + LG Flatron E2211 + Generic GVA Aux Display / TV Speakers: Logitech z506 + 300w Sub

What i found out that any cable can now do 100, but not gig, its the interference that didn't let old equipment handle it.

But yeah my condolences for not being able to rip that old cable out and replace it by yourself.

http://www.liberal.org.au/fast-broadband-and-affordable-nbn

Liberal even acknowledges that their plan is awful and that people will want faster internet than provided. On their own website

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

The problem is the size of the network that has to be deployed/upgraded and with that comes the cost which will still be expensive for end users.

All the providers have to pitch in and help and the government must just throw more money at the problem if you ever want to see better speeds.

They are doing this because its expensive to put fiber switches at every end of the street and also that fiber is very fragile so to avoid consumers damaging it they are just giving you copper which is cheap and fast to repair.

That's actually a common misconception about fiber cables. Modern fiber cables are actually much stronger than UTP cables when it comes to pulling them (a cat 5 cable is rated for about 25 pounds of force while the majority of fiber cables can handle hundreds of pounds). Fiber cables can also be bent more than most people think (it's still not good to bend them too much) and a lot of good fiber cables are actually impossible to break by bending, because the cable on the outside isn't flexible enough to allow you to bend it until it breaks.

Fiber is also cheaper than copper cables. Not just because copper itself is really expensive (compared to plastic and glass that is used in fiber cables, and the price of copper just keeps rising), but because you don't need big and power hungry repeats for fiber (copper cables have quite limited distance so you need repeats everywhere) and also because they are much more power efficient (a lot of the power sent through copper cables are converted into heat because of the resistance in the cable).

Anyway, I agree that fiber to some switch, and then copper into the actual building is fine. We should invest more in fiber though, since our copper cables will be outdated within the near future (and there is still a lot of untapped potential in fiber cables still, we aren't even using what they are truly capable of).

If they get everyone a 25 Mbps connection then it is not so bad if they actually start doing it soon.

I have 20 Mbps down and thats the fastest speed you can get where I live. A year ago I got 0.6 Mbps down and I know many who have still speed like that, so there is always someone with slower internet.

But as mentioned above the bigger problem for Australia is the connection to other countries (always low latency).