Singtel to offer 10Gbps residential fibre service (Singapore News)

dragoon20005

Singtel_1.jpg

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singtel-to-offer-10gbps/2484240.html?cid=FBSG

SINGAPORE: Singtel is set to offer a 10Gbps fibre broadband service to residential customers, in what will be the fastest residential fibre service in Singapore.

In a press release on Wednesday (Feb 3), Singtel said that the service will use its Next Generation 10 Gigabit Passive Optical Network. Trials for the service started in May 2015 for a selected group of customers, and the service was originally planned to launch last year. 

This comes after M1 rolled out a 10Gbps service for business users in August last year. In May 2015, Viewqwest then launched what was the fastest fibre service for residential customers in Singapore, rated at 2Gbps.

NEW SERVICE WILL "OFFER FASTEST FIBRE BROADBAND EXPERIENCE"

Singtel's launch this month will match other 10Gbps services around the world, such as services found in the US and South Korea.

With the 10Gbps service, Singtel says that users can download a two-hour Full HD movie within 90 seconds, while a two-hour 4K quality movie can be downloaded in six minutes.

For the service, customers need to make a wired connection from the 10G Optical Network Router to a computer with a 10 Gigabit Ethernet port. For those without such a port, the service will also have four 1 Gbps ports. 

"We recognise that residential customers are using greater bandwidth and requiring faster speeds for their online activities.," said Mr Goh Seow Eng, managing director for Home and Consumer Singapore at Singtel. "Our 10Gbps Fibre Home Bundle will offer households the fastest fibre broadband experience in Singapore.”

OTHER PROVIDERS RESPOND

When contacted, an M1 spokesman their 10Gbps GPON residential fibre service "is ready and will be launched soon".

Meanwhile, a StarHub spokesperson said that the company will "monitor industry developments and customer preferences to ensure our broadband plans remain competitive and relevant".

"We know what our customers value, and we are focusing on meeting their real needs," Ms said Ms Lin Shu Fen, Head, Entertainment & SmartLife, StarHub, noting that most of their customers connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi. To fully make use of Singtel's 10Gbps service, a wired connection is required.

Added MyRepublic: "Our focus remains on providing customers a better service. At present, a 10Gbps line that effectively ends at the doorstep isn't the best way to improve that all-important customer experience."

Singtel's 10Gbps Fibre Home Bundle is priced at S$189 per month, which comes with a 10G optical network router, a wireless Dual-Band AC router and installation, among others.

Customers who wish to subscribe to the service can register their interest online from Feb 3 to 15.

- CNA/av

Super overkill!

I am using 1Gbps but unless the *ahem* file servers are located locally

No way you can use all 10Gbps.

and you need to have 10Gbps LAN cards which are super expensive then normal 1Gbps LAN cards

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Fuyoh, that price tag.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Just now, exercutor5 said:

Fuyoh, that price tag.

well 1Gbps here is really dirt cheap

180 dollars for 10Gbps sounds reasonable

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

1 minute ago, exercutor5 said:

Fuyoh, that price tag.

I mean, I pay $100 USD for 75/5. (~S$140)

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

Just now, dragoon20005 said:

well 1Gbps here is really dirt cheap

180 dollars for 10Gbps sounds reasonable

Meh, my SingTel 1Gbps broadband ain't that cheap. Paying like $70 per month now.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

2 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

Meh, my SingTel 1Gbps broadband ain't that cheap. Paying like $70 per month now.

70 buck comes with Digital phone line, and Fibre TV

so i say it 3 in 1 for 70 bucks is worth it

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

holy shit thats cheap

cheap is one thing

the hardware needed to support that crazy speeds is nuts thou

and most of the servers i *ahem* from are from US or Europe

Let's see what MyRepublic comes up with.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

And bell canada can't even give me anything more than 5mbps. rip.

1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

the infrastructure is ready

only pricing and hardware will be the factor

6 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

the infrastructure is ready

only pricing and hardware will be the factor

Can't wait to spend stupid amounts for a 10Gbps home network...

3 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Can't wait to spend stupid amounts for a 10Gbps home network...

yup

one 10Gb network card is 300 USD each

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Ethernet-Converged-Network-X540T1/dp/B008NJPL7C/ref=pd_sim_147_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41m0YiQyVdL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0G9HXY2FCEE2QFCGWXJQ

With the 10Gbps service, Singtel says that users can download a two-hour Full HD movie within 90 seconds, while a two-hour 4K quality movie can be downloaded in six minutes.

Who did the math? 32gb for full hd blue ray and 4k at 120bg... 32secs and 120 secs roughtly

1 hour ago, dragoon20005 said:

cheap is one thing

the hardware needed to support that crazy speeds is nuts thou

and most of the servers i *ahem* from are from US or Europe

Microsoft, Google, Amazon among other big companies have servers in Singapore that store all of their usual content. Also, even if it doesn't it might be stored in Australia which will still give you faster speeds than to USA or Europe.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

1 hour ago, Samfisher said:

What is this MyRepublic actually? Another ISP with their own backbone infra?

Well, I guess I'd better get packing... what languages can I get by with over there? :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, I guess I'd better get packing... what languages can I get by with over there? :P 

English will do just fine.

15 minutes ago, atrash said:

What is this MyRepublic actually? Another ISP with their own backbone infra?

Infra is owned by a government-led company and is open to every ISP who can provide said service.  MyRepublic was the first to offer 1Gbp/s for like $49.99 or something.

3 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Infra is owned by a government-led company and is open to every ISP who can provide said service.  MyRepublic was the first to offer 1Gbp/s for like $49.99 or something.

Bet the coverage is really limited though..I would've sign up for that if I didn't already upgraded my family's home internet to Streamyx 30 for RM199 a month. And they make even more money by bundling together HypTV which cost RM30. 

8 minutes ago, atrash said:

Bet the coverage is really limited though..I would've sign up for that if I didn't already upgraded my family's home internet to Streamyx 30 for RM199 a month. And they make even more money by bundling together HypTV which cost RM30. 

Streamyx is in Malaysia, not Singapore o.O

there are only 5 ISP providing fibre so far

Singtel

Starhub

M1

MyRepublic

ViewQuest

meh. All this is just a numbers game. In real world usage, my 500mbps connection can still had youtube @ 1080 buffering. The only REAL benefit you can see / feel is when services like steam/origin/uplay has download servers here.(had division download in under 8mins) other than that most of the experience is just average.

8 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

there are only 5 ISP providing fibre so far

Singtel

Starhub

M1

MyRepublic

ViewQuest

we don't even have 5 ISPs... :(

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.