External GPU???

GreatRP

Well I updated to nvidias 361.75 driver and it gives beta support for GTX gpus over thunderbolt 3. Does this mean that you can use still like the razor core on any laptop?? or is nvidia going to make it's own external dock?? Another weird this is that my desk top's 970 gives me the option to eject it loll. And when I did click on it out of curiosity it just made my screen go back then things went back to working as normal. I really think that external GPU's are going to be the future of gaming...

25 minutes ago, GreatRP said:

Well I updated to nvidias 361.75 driver and it gives beta support for GTX gpus over thunderbolt 3. Does this mean that you can use still like the razor core on any laptop?? or is nvidia going to make it's own external dock?? Another weird this is that my desk top's 970 gives me the option to eject it loll. And when I did click on it out of curiosity it just made my screen go back then things went back to working as normal. I really think that external GPU's are going to be the future of gaming...

It's just driver support. Without the drivers, you can plug the external GPU anywhere and it won't work.  Nobody is talking about making their own dock.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I would like to believe that external GPUs would be an avenue that laptop manufacturers make a staple for their systems from design from now on.  However, since MXM didn't go anywhere and OEMs have been on the annoying trend of removing more and more IO and dock connections from laptops for a pretentious sleek apple'esk appearance, I'm not going to hold my breath.  Additionally if they do, the pound of flesh thats demanded for flexible and up-gradable mobile is too much to swallow for the lions share of consumers.

12 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Nobody is talking about making their own dock.

What do you mean?  There were a couple solutions at CES.

5 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

It's just driver support. Without the drivers, you can plug the external GPU anywhere and it won't work.  Nobody is talking about making their own dock.

Yeah i know its not but razor and alienware do have external add-ons for there laptops but from this update it seems like nvidia is wanting this to be a feature thats can be more standardized through thunderbolt 3. 

6 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

I would like to believe that external GPUs would be an avenue that laptop manufacturers make a staple for their systems from design from now on.  However, since MXM didn't go anywhere and OEMs have been on the annoying trend of removing more and more IO and dock connections from laptops for a pretentious sleek apple'esk appearance, I'm not going to hold my breath.  Additionally if they do, the pound of flesh thats demanded for flexible and up-gradable mobile is a too much to swallow for the lions share of consumers.

What do you mean?  There were a couple solutions at CES.

I mean Nvidia isn't saying anything about making their own.  External GPUs have the best chance to succeed now as TB3 uses the USB Type-C connector which will start to be everywhere very soon and has enough bandwidth to make it work properly.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

5 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

I would like to believe that external GPUs would be an avenue that laptop manufacturers make a staple for their systems from design from now on.  However, since MXM didn't go anywhere and OEMs have been on the annoying trend of removing more and more IO and dock connections from laptops for a pretentious sleek apple'esk appearance, I'm not going to hold my breath.  Additionally if they do, the pound of flesh thats demanded for flexible and up-gradable mobile is a too much to swallow for the lions share of consumers.

Well I mean it seems like it is a technology that is becoming more and more possible like alienware and razor are releasing gpu boxes for there laptop and I just want to hope that it is something that you can do to any laptop with a thunderbolt 3 port regardless of weather it is a gaming laptop. But yeah i understand not getting my hopes up. And i really do hate that trend of removing ports to unnecessarily remove a few millimeters.

4 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

I mean Nvidia isn't saying anything about making their own.  External GPUs have the best chance to succeed now as TB3 uses the USB Type-C connector which will start to be everywhere very soon and has enough bandwidth to make it work properly.

Yeah i know that but this might be a bit of a sign of things to come. Hopefully....

Wouldn't laptop motherboard manufacturers locked down UEFI make this hope DOA anyways?  Might have some that allow for certain cards at and around product launch, but 3-5 years down the road when a user may wish to beef it up their system a bit?  Never seen it happen before.  We'll have to wait for apple to do it and rek the competitors

In order not to create a new topic for a mere question, would this External GPU Adapter work in a port for something like this Express Card Wifi? I have a laptop which I'm giving to my little brother and also my old gtx 550ti and was thinking if I could use this gpu adapter to make the laptop kind of better when at home if you know what I mean.

For further reference the laptop is an INSYS W76TUN.