Whats the worst support you've ever dealt with?

Hello

I just RMAed my motherboard. What better way to spend time without my gaming rig than hear your worst RMA experiences.

I'll start.

I bought a Nexus 850w power supply (It had good reviews). It was working fine for a month but after that my pc started to randomly shut down. I RMAed the psu and they gave me a new one. It was working fine for 2 weeks but then it started to do the same thing. I RMAed it again but this time they said that it was working fine and they sent it back to me with a 20 euro inspection fee. I had no other option than send the whole system to them. After a week they replied to me saying that the power supply is broken! How is that possible? I just sent the power supply to you and you said it was fine. They gave me a different power supply and refunded me the inspection fee and the cost of sending the whole system to them. I was so mad after they replied to me. In total I didn't have my pc working for two months.

They resented the same board to me without doing any thing

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

well ive  only RMAd two things, and both times i just sent it to them and they sent a new one back

so pretty much no issues

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Never RMAd anything.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I've been lucky, only went through the RMA process once, when my H100i had a faulty pump. Corsair were very good about it though.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Edit: I realized this is not really an "RMA" experience so it's spoilered for ease of ignoring.

The case of "Oh its totally still en route!" by some local dipshits: I wasn't expecting my item to arrive in time for the holidays but I wasn't expecting it to be just fucking lost. After a month of delays I called them and told them "Just tell me which fucking warehouse is it at, there has been NO delivery attempts your delivery man is fucking lying!" and at that point they said "Yeah....we lost the package"

Seriously they jerked me around for 4 fucking weeks and fucked me right to my face telling me that it was out for delivery and that they couldn't find my house (Even though they delivery successfully for me before and are small enough than I'm positive there is no other driver for my area) and only after I confronted them angrily they admitted the item was lost.

I just could not believe a delivery company was banking on me forgetting about my item so they wouldn't have to pay the store for the item they lost. Needless to say I stopped doing business with them (And the store since they refuse to use any other delivery company)

-------

Current Rig

-------

I have had good experiences with Nvidia (you have to email executives if you want them to do anything for you.) But.... the Shield Tablet got recalled and I had to wait 1.5x longer than the initial maximum they gave me. Pisses me off.

EVGA! FFS so many bad things to say about them!!!11!

First! They had the gall to offer me a FREE ADVANCED RMA!!! HOW DARE THEY?!? Do I look like I need FREE stuff? WOOOW

Second, after I reluctantly accepted the FREE ADVANCED RMA (I'm still angry that they offered me that - the patriarchy at work!) they sent me the new PSU within three days!! IT GOT TO MY DOORSTEP WITHIN THREE DAYS!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS SHIT!?!?!? 

UGHGHGHGHGHGHGHHGHGHGEIOGEIOGWJSOJGDJKLJGKLEJKLEJSKLGJEKLSJGLKSJELK

hp had me bounce around the CAD US and EU (uk) customer support within the same call . transfering me over and over again, because I ''wasn't in the right departement''

to then have me pay for the return of my brokenI laptop.. (half the I/O was not working...)    and they basically reinstalled windows 7.  and the audio ports still don't work today..

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

864487.jpg

stay the fuck away from the above bullshit

Asus Gt 640. it was a passively cooled card that would overheat(this was for a customer that is your typical facebook, youtube viewer but they wanted to watch 4k youtube so the gt640 was the cheapest recommendation at the time). Anyways standard issue i went to AriaPC and they said that for all Asus parts you would have to go through Asus and get a exchange or refund code. Thats fine had to do the same with Zotac and MSI before. Called Asus about it and they said that i should email a support address. So i email them, send a few pictures, show a video of its temps spiking and all the proof of purchase etc. This was a standard issue defective unit so it seemed. Anyways Asus said they would send someone to pick up the card. A week later a guy came and picked it up, i thought it must be over. 

A full month later my customer was very angry because his computer wasnt repaired, i didnt get the parts so i had to give him my ati radion 6770 which i use for testing psus. The anger spread from my customer to me and i emailed Asus(nicely) inquiring on when i would get the card back. They responded two weeks after this saying that they had obligation to replace the card if there was water present on it and they said there was water damage, i was then sent the card back a there was rust on it which is likely what they refered to.

This is when shit started getting serious, im a photographer, i have expensive cameras, i take pictures of everything(before you ask, yes) and i took pictures of the gt 640 in very high quality. It was now clear that asus had in fact broken the law. Firstly they failed to provide a "as advertised" product and they tampered with the contents on an investigation(yes  this covers private investigations as well). I called asus about this and politely told them about this. I got a supervisors email in return, we went back and fourth for a week and they ended up sending me a gtx 660. I was also sent a formal letter of apology on the misunderstanding, i shredded the letter. 

Four broken motherboards later i gave up with Asus, originally i was going to boycott them for a year but it ended up being a lot longer and well ive had a lot less hassle. I was tempted to forgive them for the gpu issue however after having all of my RMAs with Asus being long it wasnt worth it anymore. Its one thing to have a broken gpu, its even worse when the name of my business is on the line. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

• 3 months later...

As the computer people we are, we have pretty much all at some point and time in our lives had to deal with customer support. Whats the worst support you've experienced with any tech company?

mine was best-buy with my old iPod 4, broken screen. they said they would "take it in" to see if they would charge me to fix it, to which they kept in the back for a grand total of about a months time. later, i get a call saying they would charge me $140 CAD to fix it. To that generous offer, I completely said they were crazy and declined (A brand new one would have been only $200 dollars mind you). I get a call back a week later saying that they fixed my iPod and they would like me to come in and pay for it, so i came and i told them that i had specifically said NOT to fix it, where they decided I was lying so I should simply pay up now. calls are recorded fro quality and training purposes right? well check the recordings. No-can-do they said, call the repair depot and ask them. after hours on the phone and another week of waiting with no response, i went back and re-explained the problem, where they said that they would take half-off the price. ridiculous still, but being tired as i was and just wanting my iPod back to get back to listening, i ponied up and paid. when i take the ipod out of the clearly super protective zip-loc bag they gave it to me in, i had come to relized that the screen they provided on the new iPod was defective and had very noticeable off-colors on the screen. so i went back into the store, yelled at the manager througha ll the hardship i went through, and with that, i got myselfa refund. happy ending? maybe. worth my time? absolutely not. 

What are your craziest support stories?

Hilariously enough, I haven't experienced a particularly negative support incident...

Soo......uhh......fish?

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Steam of course ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Not a tech company, but practically any airline..

United and Southwest especially

(Heard Air Canada should get an honorable mention as well)

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

ASUS

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

either Telias support or NetOnNet:s support, both are really bad but i think there sortof limited to scandinavia

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Tellabs by far. Specifically with their 3rd party software developers. Their SONET and DWDM gear software suuuuuucccckkkssss.

Microsoft for OS issues.

Tracfone for cell issues.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Well if I was even able to get a response from valve, then valve. But from the companies I have gotten a response from, asus is the worst.

My worst support is also my second best...

1 year and 3 days after I purchased my Samsung 60 inch (cheap) led television (low end orig price ~$500) it went out...

After contacting customer support I got the total run around. After 5 days straight of calling and bugging the heck out of managers I finally got them to service it. (Each call for 5 days was over 1 hour each). Once they agreed to service it it was 2 weeks before a tech could come out to look at it. On a side tangent each of the 5 days I told them on the phone the issue was the power supply board as I had looked up the specs and checked the output voltages but one of the 12v outputs was outputting 3v.

After the tech arrived he came with the controller board replacement (not the power board). With this he replaced the board and of course the TV did not work. For the next 2 weeks the same tech came out 7 times replacing EVERY PART except the power board (including the panel, besel, mount, back light, and even the buttons board (with an ir sensor)). After all of this I finally had it and called the company demanding better service. To be fair I used my pull as the person who buys all my companies tech and quoting the number of Samsung devices we have. Once I spoke to them they immediately apologized and offered to replace the unit... one problem, they stopped making this one. So after about an hour they called back and offered me the "next model" for an additional $300. At first I was pissed that they wanted me to pay more, but after I looked into the unit I happily accepted. I am now very happy with my beautiful 60" 240hz plasma, smart, 3d television!!! At the time that they gave it to me this model was $1,399.99 at BestBuy!!!
Thanks Samsung!!!! I really appreciate how you treat your valued customers... Even if it was hell to get you to do it.

Happi

Actually the worst customer support i had to deal with was with a local chain here "PLAISIO Computers" which most of the times does not even worth to pass in front of the store ! I had an OCZ SSD drive fried (defective unit) and when I went to replace it with the warranty at hand, they simply gave me an SSD replacement (which was fine enough) but with the prices dropped they "consumed" the difference and basically i paid more for a product that cost less !.....either ways, some stores of the chain have very decent staff to help you with almost anything, but other than that, it is ridiculously expensive and the variety of products they bring has fallen short into one brand....theirs!....Sorry but I want my motherboard to say "Asus", "Gigabyte" or whatever...and not "PLAISIO" or "TURBO-X"

I dropped 20000 users for Verizon in Dallas doing firmware upgrade on a 7100es. Luckily I had Tellabs TAC on the phone and got them run a open debugging session while we did the upgrade. They reviewed the upgrade logs, and it was a software problem. So they got to pay the FCC fines for dropping E911. But their software teams sucked. Took them months to fix anything.