Need help on which cables to get

NeonJam

Hey all,

I'm looking to expand my wired Ethernet connection in my home by running two Category 6 cables out the back of my house, one going up into my bedroom and the other looping round to the other side of the house into the lounge. I only need 100m in total (approx.) but I have no idea where to buy them from, my plan is to properly wire it so there are face plates so I don't need a cable with the connectors attached. I will be running the cables about 2cm under gravel attached to my wall outside, I live in the UK and have a BT Home hub 5 router and receive around 70mbs if that helps. In conclusion, what cable do I need and where do I get it from? I don't need help with the wall plates ect... I can work that out its just the cable that's confusing me. Would like it if the cable didn't exceed £50 and open to suggestions on using a higher or lower category cable, each length needs to be 50m.

Thanks a lot,

Ethan

You need outdoor rated Cat6 cable, conduit, and appropriate tools. Your budget converts to ~70USD. You are not going to get it done for that budget.

Why are interior runs not an option?

Powerline may be an option?

Whats your price point?

Are you looking for network suggestions too? Switch? Router? Or just need the ethernet?

Last, do you want pre-made or DIY? DIY allows for great choices different kinds, but requires you to buy the tools and learn how to put ethernet ends. Same goes for jacks. What is your tech comfort level?

In general, Monoprice is gold:

Bulk RG6 68$ US

Wall plates 0.45$ x2

Plate Jacks 1.51$ x2

Tool Kit 45$

Total: 116.92$

36 minutes ago, beavo451 said:

You need outdoor rated Cat6 cable, conduit, and appropriate tools. Your budget converts to ~70USD. You are not going to get it done for that budget.

Why are interior runs not an option?

Powerline may be an option?

All I need it the cable at that point, I don't need anything else in that budget. Is what you're saying I can't even buy 75-100m worth of cable for £50, Interiour runs are not possible as I have no where to run it out of sight and powerline can't be used as I don't have a power socket free near my router

5 minutes ago, Trikein said:

Whats your price point?

Are you looking for network suggestions too? Switch? Router? Or just need the ethernet?

Last, do you want pre-made or DIY? DIY allows for great choices different kinds, but requires you to buy the tools and learn how to put ethernet ends. Same goes for jacks. What is your tech comfort level?

In general, Monoprice is gold:

Bulk RG6 68$ US

Wall plates 0.45$ x2

Plate Jacks 1.51$ x2

Tool Kit 45$

Total: 116.92$

I just need the cable really no switches, I want to do DIY as well as I enjoy learning new things and its nice and flexible for what I want

42 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Amazon is a option, but I would like a cable which doesn't have ends built on.

Again, anyone know the best place to search for the cables?

Search amazon for category 6 100m outdoor, and see if you can find something you like :-) But even if they have ends on a large spool like that, it isn't much more expensive and you can just cut them off.

12 minutes ago, NeonJam said:

All I need it the cable at that point, I don't need anything else in that budget. Is what you're saying I can't even buy 75-100m worth of cable for £50, Interiour runs are not possible as I have no where to run it out of sight and powerline can't be used as I don't have a power socket free near my router

No, you can't. To do it properly, you need *outdoor* rated cable AND conduit. The cable itself is going to be more than your budget. Conduit is probably going to be more than the cable.

26 minutes ago, NeonJam said:

Again, anyone know the best place to search for the cables?

Didn't see my link? :S  Do you not like Monoprice? It is the industry standard for cables. It's what all the techs use. Here is the exact bulk RG6 you need. Rated for in-wall, so best for wall fish. How are you going to terminate it? And don't you need wall plates etc? 

4 minutes ago, Trikein said:

Didn't see my link? :S  Do you not like Monoprice? It is the industry standard for cables. It's what all the techs use. Here is the exact bulk RG6 you need. Rated for in-wall, so best for wall fish. How are you going to terminate it? And don't you need wall plates etc? 

Oh yeah sorry ???

22 minutes ago, beavo451 said:

No, you can't. To do it properly, you need *outdoor* rated cable AND conduit. The cable itself is going to be more than your budget. Conduit is probably going to be more than the cable.

Ok, can you give me a example of what I need?

You could use Cat 5e instead of 6 and still get gigabit speeds, might be a bit cheaper.

Do you have a basement with cold air returns for the furnace/AC unit? Make sure they are cold air returns and not the furnace ducting.

You could use plenum cable* and fish up the cold air returns to the attic and then down the walls from the attic to face plates with cat5e/6 inserts.

If you have to exit the house with the cable and then reenter a wall to get back inside you are either going to need outdoor rated cable and straps or sealed PVC conduit both of which are more expensive with the conduit being the most expensive. Make sure to seal your holes in the walls or weather/insects are going to cause you major problems.

If you try and run regular riser cable outside the weatehr and UV from the sun will damage the jacket fairly quickly leading to water getting in and shorting the wires.

(* EDIT: Should be plenum not riser)

2 minutes ago, trufret said:

You could use Cat 5e instead of 6 and still get gigabit speeds, might be a bit cheaper.

Do you have a basement with cold air returns for the furnace/AC unit? Make sure they are cold air returns and not the furnace ducting.

You could use regular riser cable and fish up the cold air returns to the attic and then down the walls from the attic to face plates with cat5e/6 inserts.

If you have to exit the house with the cable and then reenter a wall to get back inside you are either going to need outdoor rated cable and straps or sealed PVC conduit both of which are more expensive with the conduit being the most expensive. Make sure to seal your holes in the walls or weather/insects are going to cause you major problems.

If you try and run regular riser cable outside the weatehr and UV from the sun will damage the jacket fairly quickly leading to water getting in a shorting the wires.

My plan is to run it through my walles and seal it with silicon

Outdoor CAT6 just has thicker insulation around it. Getting special (more expansive) RG6 and conduit for a small run around the outside of a house is redundant IMO. If it was going underground or had the possibility of being underwater, that would be different. You can get conduit pretty cheap at the hardware store. Something like this.

2 minutes ago, Trikein said:

Outdoor CAT6 just has thicker insulation around it. Getting special (more expansive) RG6 and conduit for a small run around the outside of a house is redundant IMO. If it was going underground or had the possibility of being underwater, that would be different. You can get conduit pretty cheap at the hardware store. Something like this.

What and the ethernet cable just gets threaded through that condiut?

Outdoor cable usually has a gel filling in it as well to ensure no moisture gets in as well as a thicker UV resistant jacket.

Keeps some paper towels or old rags handy if you go that route. That gel gets everywhere when you strip the jacket off.

7 minutes ago, trufret said:

Outdoor cable usually has a gel filling in it as well to ensure no moisture gets in as well as a thicker UV resistant jacket.

Keeps some paper towels or old rags handy if you go that route. That gel gets everywhere when you strip the jacket off.

Ok

2 hours ago, Trikein said:

That is not outdoor cable. Plus that is stranded wire. Use solid cabling for permanent installations and stranded wire for patch cables.

And I'm not sure Monoprice is available in the UK (which I am assuming where the OP is based on the currency).

1 hour ago, trufret said:

You could use regular riser cable and fish up the cold air returns to the attic and then down the walls from the attic to face plates with cat5e/6 inserts.

If you try and run regular riser cable outside the weatehr and UV from the sun will damage the jacket fairly quickly leading to water getting in and shorting the wires.

Using air returns requires Plenum rated cables, which are expensive.

1 hour ago, Trikein said:

What does RG6 mean to you? I'm going to bet that it's not what you think it is.

Outdoor rated cable is still susceptible to damage and wear. Conduit is mainly to prevent physical damage to the cable.

33 minutes ago, beavo451 said:

What does RG6 mean to you? I'm going to bet that it's not what you think it is.

Yea, sorry. I was on Monoprice myself looking for coaxial for some work I am doing so RG6 was in my brain. I meant CAT6.

Do you think expensive wiring is needed? OP put price tag at 50Lb which is barley enough for 100feet. The kind of stuff you are talking about would be 100-150+. Like this? Hard to find any under 1000feet. As I understood it was going to go under gravel close to the house. Not exposed and protected by conduit, I would say it is debatable if underground is needed, given the price point set. What does OP think? Also any suggestions other then monoprice for coaxial? 

19 minutes ago, Trikein said:

Yea, sorry. I was on Monoprice myself looking for coaxial for some work I am doing so RG6 was in my brain. I meant CAT6.

Do you think expensive wiring is needed? OP put price tag at 50Lb which is barley enough for 100feet. The kind of stuff you are talking about would be 100-150+. Like this? Hard to find any under 1000feet. As I understood it was going to go under gravel close to the house. Not exposed and protected by conduit, I would say it is debatable if underground is needed, given the price point set. What does OP think? Also any suggestions other then monoprice for coaxial? 

Burying the cable in gravel would absolutely require conduit. The rocks will wear away the insulation in no time. You could get away with running outdoor cable without conduit under the eaves of the roof or similar places. You have to remember to place drip loops before the cable enters back inside the building.

And yes that is the correct type of cable.

1 hour ago, beavo451 said:

Using air returns requires Plenum rated cables, which are expensive.

Yes, you're right. Air returns should be using plenum cable.

It's close to the same price as gel filled outdoor so either way is going to cost close to the same.

32 minutes ago, beavo451 said:

Burying the cable in gravel would absolutely require conduit.

I am not debating this fact. Thats why I included a link for the conduit. My question is "Is underground CAT6 required if using conduit?" How important is it? Worth the 90$? You are already including 3 forms of protection, is a 4th needed for low risk underground work?

59 minutes ago, Trikein said:

I am not debating this fact. Thats why I included a link for the conduit. My question is "Is underground CAT6 required if using conduit?" How important is it? Worth the 90$? You are already including 3 forms of protection, is a 4th needed for low risk underground work?

Yes it is. Buried conduit is nearly never water tight.