Sony announces a6300 and it does 4k.

bob345

Well, not something I was expecting so soon.

The verge: sony a6300

"Sony finally announced the followup to 2014's A6000 mirrorless camera, and it looks really good. The new Sony A6300 packs a 24.2-megapixel sensor, shoots 4K footage, and will cost $1,000 ($1,150 with a 16-50mm kit lens) when it goes on sale in March. The A6300 uses 425 phase-detection autofocus points, allowing it to focus in as little as 0.05 seconds — good enough for the "world's fastest autofocus," according to Sony."

Now this is certainly a camera that a lot of people will want. I sure want one. Makes me wonder what the next a7 will have in store for us.

a6300.0.jpg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

oh wow... 

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

10 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Is this actually Sony themselves, or is this one of the companies still using their name to sell products when Sony started selling off parts of the company?  Because wasn't cameras one of the sold off parts of the company?

It is sony, they are not really "selling parts of the company, but letting parts of it split off. Like sony entertainment will be as separate company from sony electronics.  that said, the camera and sensor part of sony will likely not be split away as its becoming quite profitable fro them lately.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I'm interested in seeing how the oversampled 4K footage will look like, as they are claiming that pixel binning will not be used to achieve 4K.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, ALwin said:

I'm interested in see how the oversampled 4K footage will look like, as they are claiming that pixel binning will not be used to achieve 4K.

just updated with sony sample footage

LOL I was just about to post that video.  Yes I saw it, but I'm always skeptical of footage recorded for the sake of advertisements or building up hype.

And I certainly do not want to base any judgements using Youtube's re-processed compressed footage.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, ALwin said:

LOL I was just about to post that video.  Yes I saw it, but I'm always skeptical of footage recorded for the sake of advertisements or building up hype.

yeah, i always take pre-release sample footage with a grain of salt. Cant wait to see what some independent reviewers have to say about the camera.

Sony also announced new lenses, finally a 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and an 85 1.4 for the E-mount.

15 hours ago, ALwin said:

I'm interested in seeing how the oversampled 4K footage will look like, as they are claiming that pixel binning will not be used to achieve 4K.

Super 35 crop for a start, and they just sampled pixel for pixel 4k from within the super 35 crop area!!!

The A7R2 does this too

I  also saw something about 6k recording from 4k oversampling - cant remember though,

15 hours ago, ALwin said:

Sony also announced new lenses, finally a 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and an 85 1.4 for the E-mount.

About time, although ££££££ as usual with Sony G lenses. They need some more like 200, 300, 500mm primes etc for sports photography since this seems to have an insanely baller focus system!!!

Actually excited about this, would make a fantastic companion if I had an A7R2 and A6300 - (and an FS5 or A99mk2 if that ever happens)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'm new to photography and have been debating on this camera or the a6000. Do you guys think it's worth getting the a6300? I don't see much of a difference between the two cameras but 4K.

1 hour ago, thekillergazebo said:

I'm new to photography and have been debating on this camera or the a6000. Do you guys think it's worth getting the a6300? I don't see much of a difference between the two cameras but 4K.

If you are not planning to shoot video, i don't see a reason to pay extra for a6300.

2 hours ago, thekillergazebo said:

A lot has changed, 4k is a big one, but new 4d focus system, more focus point, new processor, new BSI sensor for better low light, faster burst speed, etc etc etc

http://www.cameradebate.com/2016/sony-a6300-vs-a6000/

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

47 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

A lot has changed, 4k is a big one, but new 4d focus system, more focus point, new processor, new BSI sensor for better low light, faster burst speed, etc etc etc

The new low light performance would be interesting to see, but do you think the changes add up to being worth the $450 more in price for just the body? Remember I'm new to DSLR stuff :P

1 minute ago, thekillergazebo said:

The new low light performance would be interesting to see, but do you think the changes add up to being worth the $450 more in price for just the body? Remember I'm new to DSLR stuff :P

Yes, pretty much every single part of the camera is better, faster, stronger, 

Its not a DSLR ;) 

1 hour ago, ShadowCaptain said:

1 hour ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Yes, pretty much every single part of the camera is better, faster, stronger, 

Its not a DSLR ;) 

Wait is it really not a DSLR? What is it then?

Just now, thekillergazebo said:

Wait is it really not a DSLR? What is it then?

DSLR, Digital, Single Lens Reflex

this is not a reflex camera, it has no mirror, it is called a mirrorless camera

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

DSLR, Digital, Single Lens Reflex

this is not a reflex camera, it has no mirror, it is called a mirrorless camera

Ah didn't know that's. Thanks for the information.

6 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

snip

Super 35 and APS-C are approximately the same size. So if they implemented windowed mode on the A6300 which has a 24MP sensor to get 1:1 pixel mapping even for DCI 4K (4096x2160) which is approximately 8.8MP, that's about 2/3 of the sensor being unused.  DCI 4K windowed mode on an APS-C 24MP sensor is going to be the same as a camera with a sensor about 1/3 the size of APS-C.

What I've understood from reading some of the info in the various announcements is that they record video captured by the entire sensor or at least a 6000x4000 area and then scale it down inside the image processor before saving it on the memory card.  Unlike implementation in other cameras where higher pixel sensors had to utilize pixel binning to get FHD or 4K video.

Oh and because I wrote "Super 35 and APS-C are approximately the same size" I have a feeling that some asshole (we all know who I'm taking about) is going to disagree with me.

8 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Oh and because I wrote "Super 35 and APS-C are approximately the same size" I have a feeling that some asshole (we all know who I'm taking about) is going to disagree with me.

They cant when I post this diagram

sensorsize.png

2 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

They cant when I post this diagram

sensorsize.png

Hahaha!  APS-C's dimensions lean towards for the 4:3 ratio of photo cameras.  Super 35 is leaning towards wide angle ratios for cinematography.

Just now, ALwin said:

Hahaha!  APS-C's dimensions lean towards for the 4:3 ratio of photo cameras.  Super 35 is leaning towards wide angle ratios for cinematography.

Well yeah :P 

so basically APSC cropped makes super 35. the A7R2 can also crop down the super 35 for the best quality at the cost of low light performance (or should I say, no benefit of it being full frame)

Still, I want one, and an A6300.. and an FS7

2 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Well yeah :P 

so basically APSC cropped makes super 35. the A7R2 can also crop down the super 35 for the best quality at the cost of low light performance (or should I say, no benefit of it being full frame)

Still, I want one, and an A6300.. and an FS7

You want a lot of things.  You should get a job doing some freelance photo/video.  Or sell stock video clips.

By the way, I saw this and wondered what possible reasons would someone choose a Ronin M over this, which costs 2/3 the price of a Ronin M.

54 minutes ago, ALwin said:

You want a lot of things.  You should get a job doing some freelance photo/video.  Or sell stock video clips.

By the way, I saw this and wondered what possible reasons would someone choose a Ronin M over this, which costs 2/3 the price of a Ronin M.

Well I actually want a pilotfly H1+ for my A7 (or A7R2 and smaller cameras)

the Ronin M is a much better platform though the nebula has issues (I know the 4000 had buggy software etc) 

Damn, Sony is on fire with its release of new mirrorless cameras. I wish Nikon and Canon would get their shit together and try to catch up. Too bad that 24-70 f2.8 lens is a bit way to far out my budget, else I would definitely get this camera with that lens.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"