EdgeRouter Hype..

Hi all,

I just want to clarify regarding the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter's - I'm seeing a lot of people recommending them both here and around the web in general but it seems that a lot of people are forgetting that these are not consumer grade products and will not work out of the box. They are not a plug and play device and need a skilled technician who is familiar with either Vyatta or is UBRSA certified. You cannot correctly configure an EdgeRouter for maximum performance via the GUI - some features just can't be added through it.

I'm not saying that they're a bad product at all - they're absolutely great but just remember that they're not a one product fits all solution.

Yeah, it's like putting truffles in a cheeseburger.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

4 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Yeah, it's like putting truffles in a cheeseburger.

I completely don't get that analogy. :P

Yeah I completely agree. They are powerful but hard to use devices. I really like mine but it did take some time and effort to get it configured. Not an easy to start with device. For lesser experienced people I think just going with dd wrt is better

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

1 hour ago, Windspeed36 said:

Hi all,

I just want to clarify regarding the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter's - I'm seeing a lot of people recommending them both here and around the web in general but it seems that a lot of people are forgetting that these are not consumer grade products and will not work out of the box. They are not a plug and play device and need a skilled technician who is familiar with either Vyatta or is UBRSA certified. You cannot correctly configure an EdgeRouter for maximum performance via the GUI - some features just can't be added through it.

I'm not saying that they're a bad product at all - they're absolutely great but just remember that they're not a one product fits all solution.

I'm going to have to disagree. If you're smart enough to use a GUI and click your mouse, you're smart enough to configure an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter using the built in Wizards.

edgerouter_wizards.png

-KuJoe

While I agree with you wind, I'm sure most on here can follow easy instructions on how to set one up.

1. Turn on

2. Update firmware

3. Do wizard (honestly it does just fine from what I've seen.)

I find it difficult recommending anything else when I have this product and find it far superior to other solutions. When people say they may do pfSense, I recommend OPNsense or an EdgeRouter because I feel if they are capable of setting up a home network with something like pfSense, then they can handle an EdgeRouter.

I also see other value in using these devices that allow a more modular home network, over time a modem or an AP may need to be replaced, but the router and switch may not.

Comb it with a brick

1 hour ago, KuJoe said:

I'm going to have to disagree. If you're smart enough to use a GUI and click your mouse, you're smart enough to configure an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter using the built in Wizards.

edgerouter_wizards.png

Their wizard is pretty damn derpy - it still doesn't configure things properly.

3 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

I've only ever used it twice and both times were about 2 months ago but it worked fine for me out of the box (WAN + LAN + DHCP). I will agree it's more difficult than a consumer router that really does work out of the box without ever needing to access the GUI, but for people who are looking for something more (i.e. the people wanting to setup pfSense which is a waste of money for just a home router) it's the best option out there and their electric bill will thank them for not using some old Pentium CPU for their routing needs.

-KuJoe

11 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I've only ever used it twice and both times were about 2 months ago but it worked fine for me out of the box (WAN + LAN + DHCP). I will agree it's more difficult than a consumer router that really does work out of the box without ever needing to access the GUI, but for people who are looking for something more (i.e. the people wanting to setup pfSense which is a waste of money for just a home router) it's the best option out there.

Run show ubnt offload and let me know what you get - I'd be curious to see if they've fixed it up at all since I last tried.

1 minute ago, Windspeed36 said:

Run show ubnt offload and let me know what you get - I'd be curious to see if they've fixed it up at all since I last tried.

I'll be ordering another EdgeRouter in the future, right now all of my routers are at the data center with clients on them so I can't mess with the wizard now. I wish Ubiquiti had a demo somewhere.

-KuJoe

It is not designed to be a consumer level router. It is SMB. If you are buying a router for Gigabit with 2,000,000PPs then you should either know what you are doing or willing to pay someone who does. Buyer beware and always do your homework. Good technology is not a mistake or a accident, and complexity does not go hand in hand with ease of use. CLI>UI

18 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

I agree completely. But lets face it, if your a networking guy, you don't do up any config/boot files from scratch anymore also. The wizard is great to give you a working template to go and make your changes to. And if you're somewhat IT savvy (no, i don't mean "i can install windows", I mean knowing what an A record is and how it's different from a AAA or a CNAME record), you'll be able to write the parts that it misses, throw in offloading where you can, correctly configure the firewall rules, know how routeing actually works, setup vlans etc etc.

18 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

(they haven't it only offloads one of them out of the box, can't remember which one it was).