What's a good (free) video editing software?

ZV-
Go to solution Solved by SImoHayha,
3 minutes ago, ZV- said:

I'm looking for a (free) video editing software that is easy to get into and also has more options than stock or basic programs like Windows Movie Maker that can look professional (If you're good enough of course),

I want to use it to create fun projects on YouTube with/for friends but also future use for school projects

Thank you in advance!

Use HitFilm Express. They made it free. Way more features than windows movie maker. 

I'm looking for a (free) video editing software that is easy to get into and also has more options than stock or basic programs like Windows Movie Maker that can look professional (If you're good enough of course),

I want to use it to create fun projects on YouTube with/for friends but also future use for school projects

Thank you in advance!

3 minutes ago, ZV- said:

Thank you in advance!

Use HitFilm Express. They made it free. Way more features than windows movie maker. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Free or "Free"?

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

I use Hitfilm 3 Express. It's a slightly stripped down version of an excellent pro-grade editor. The free version of Lightworks also fits that same description, but I personally find it a little too crippled and don't like the workflow of it.

The Cheap SFF Wonder -- Turning a Core 2 Duo SFF machine into a useful member of computer society!

i5 3570 -- AS.Rock Z77 Pro3 -- 12GB DDR3 -- R9 380X -- 840Evo 500GB/1TB HDD 

I speak the honest truth with a bit of snark mixed in. I'm sorry if it doesn't line up with your beliefs.

3 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

windows movie maker is the only one i know of. (i use premier pro CC)

Unfortunately Premier Pro CC is quite expensive but thanks for the advice!

1 minute ago, Ramamataz said:

Use Hitman  Film Express. They made it free. Way more features than windows movie maker. 

Thank you for the recommendation!

1 minute ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

Free or "Free"?

Free, I'm not looking to pirate anything since I want to keep my PC clean.

5 minutes ago, ZV- said:

Unfortunately Premier Pro CC is quite expensive but thanks for the advice!

Thank you for the recommendation!

Free, I'm not looking to pirate anything since I want to keep my PC clean.

i herd that some people were pirating premier pro

pirating is not allowed to be discussed on this forum, so lets not talk about that

lightworks used to be the best free option, but it has a steep learning curve

windows movie maker is only good for transitions and quickly stitching together video files, no effects or stuff

this is the first time ive heard of hitfilm, and i have never used it but it looks to be pretty good actually, so try it out :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

11 minutes ago, fire219 said:

I use Hitfilm 3 Express. It's a slightly stripped down version of an excellent pro-grade editor. The free version of Lightworks also fits that same description, but I personally find it a little too crippled and don't like the workflow of it.

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Lightworks is free and pretty good. Avid is comming out with a free version soon. You can use blender, but its mainly a 3d program

Thank you for the recommendation, I think I'll go for Hitfilm 3 :)

4 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

i herd that some people were pirating premier pro

Pirating is imo too shady and I'm too scared to risk a virus, I think I'll go with Hitman instead but thank you for the recommendation!

(Also this post might look weird I messed some things up)

I'm a little late to the game it looks like, but I would also recommend taking a look at DaVinci Resolve by Blackmagic. Slightly steeper learning curve than Hitfilm. They offer a free version of their software that is very capable. It also has some color grading advantages over Hitfilm(but will lack a lot of 3D modeling and compositing features). It uses a node based editing system for applying special effects which is a little different, but if you're just starting up and getting into things, it can be handy to learn about early so you can grasp the concepts.