[Finished] The number cruncher: Triple Xeon passive mineral oil cooling [Update 12: Final pictures and summary]

2 hours ago, Trey222 said:

I really do not understand why companies still put DVI ports on their high end cards. 

Backwards compatibility. Sure HDMI and DVI are compatible for digital signals, but what if you really need a VGA output? Also I wouldn't be surprised if there are many businesses who still keep around DVI monitors, and don't want to have to get and HDMI to DVI adaptor. There are certainly many nice color accurate monitors still in use.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

2 hours ago, Trey222 said:

I really do not understand why companies still put DVI ports on their high end cards. 

That means I would need to get a new primary monitor...my 120hz 1080p panel only supports 120hz over dual-link DVI so...yea :/ (no DP, it's a few years old)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Are you going to fill the hole with epoxy or something so that the pins don't short?

I also had this idea for a quiet pc (I'm only a student in highs school so I'm not sure if the physics would work out properly). What if you ran a water cooling loop, but instead of using a radiator, you ran it into a water block with tonnes of Peltier elements on one side. The hot side of the elements would cooled by a heat sink array, similar to yours. It wouldn't be passive (I know). But is it feasible? If you put like 4 heat sinks into a squarish tube, fins on the inside, and then you had 1 fan on either end of the tube, push pull, that would amount to 3 moving parts - 2 fans and a pump, plus liquid. I just came up with this 10 minutes ago while watching a YouTube video. Just wanted to see if anyone had thought of the same thing.

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena

3 hours ago, nmil said:

Are you going to fill the hole with epoxy or something so that the pins don't short?

I also had this idea for a quiet pc (I'm only a student in highs school so I'm not sure if the physics would work out properly). What if you ran a water cooling loop, but instead of using a radiator, you ran it into a water block with tonnes of Peltier elements on one side. The hot side of the elements would cooled by a heat sink array, similar to yours. It wouldn't be passive (I know). But is it feasible? If you put like 4 heat sinks into a squarish tube, fins on the inside, and then you had 1 fan on either end of the tube, push pull, that would amount to 3 moving parts - 2 fans and a pump, plus liquid. I just came up with this 10 minutes ago while watching a YouTube video. Just wanted to see if anyone had thought of the same thing.

Yes I will secure the pinns once I got rid of all the metallic shavings.

The added heat by the peltiers is way larger than the benefit of the bigger temperature difference. I considered them and did the math at the beginn of the procejt, but they are not worth it. Also for a really quiet PC you need to get rid of the pump.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

1 hour ago, Stefan1024 said:

Yes I will secure the pinns once I got rid of all the metallic shavings.

The added heat by the peltiers is way larger than the benefit of the bigger temperature difference. I considered them and did the math at the beginn of the procejt, but they are not worth it. Also for a really quiet PC you need to get rid of the pump.

How much extra heat does a peltier element add to the system?

58 minutes ago, nmil said:

How much extra heat does a peltier element add to the system?

About two times of the heat you like to transfer. So you are tripling the heat output.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

1 minute ago, Stefan1024 said:

About two times of the heat you like to transfer. So you are tripling the heat output.

Oh I see. Well it was cool idea for the couple of hours that I was thinking about it.

There are single slot 980ti cards out there, like the Kingpin.  I suppose you could have purchased one of those. Quite close to the Titan.  

As far as I can tell, though, that is the only one available.  I haven't seen any single-slot GTX 1080s yet, either.  

Thus, I'm considering doing the exact same thing as you for my next project - sawing off the DVI port on a new 1080 :/

2 hours ago, nycesquire said:

There are single slot 980ti cards out there, like the Kingpin.  I suppose you could have purchased one of those. Quite close to the Titan.  

As far as I can tell, though, that is the only one available.  I haven't seen any single-slot GTX 1080s yet, either.  

Thus, I'm considering doing the exact same thing as you for my next project - sawing off the DVI port on a new 1080 :/

The price and the power consumption of the Kingpin is massive. And the cooler doesn't provide a vapor chamber.

AMD does it clearly better.

On 5.6.2016 at 2:29 AM, brwainer said:

- snip -

On 5.6.2016 at 2:34 AM, Mr.Meerkat said:

- snip -

On 6.6.2016 at 4:30 AM, nycesquire said:

- snip -

In the good old Fermi days, a single slot card with DVI was possible. My GTX470 (was in operation until today):

2016-06-07 20.50.54.jpg

and the point of 73 cores is? Pure overkill? Or something to bring LMG's Rendering server to its knees?

ERROR: VAR_TRAINOFTHOUGHT RETURN CHAR(MISSING)

RESTART  BRAINTHOUGHTS_MAJORGOOB.EXE?

Y                             N

~               

2 hours ago, MajorGoob said:

and the point of 73 cores is? Pure overkill? Or something to bring LMG's Rendering server to its knees?

Matlab can take advantage of the Phi by using the automatic offlead feature. I had some tasks in the past that took several hours to compute even with all 16 COU cores loaded 100%. So I hope I get a decent speed up with only a little extro code.

6 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Matlab can take advantage of the Phi by using the automatic offlead feature. I had some tasks in the past that took several hours to compute even with all 16 COU cores loaded 100%. So I hope I get a decent speed up with only a little extro code.

Hmmm.... Interesting.... I am curious to see where this build ends up. Good luck!

ERROR: VAR_TRAINOFTHOUGHT RETURN CHAR(MISSING)

RESTART  BRAINTHOUGHTS_MAJORGOOB.EXE?

Y                             N

~               

3 minutes ago, nycesquire said:

moar photos of the cooler creation process!

There aren't much, sorry. I was busy with modding and didn't have time to take a lot of pictures.

2016-06-06 21.45.26.jpg

Where do you get your heatpipes? 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

4 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Where do you get your heatpipes? 

For this build I don't need heatpipes, but for the others I ordered them here:

http://www.situs-tec.de/produkte/heatpipes/

35 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

For this build I don't need heatpipes, but for the others I ordered them here:

http://www.situs-tec.de/produkte/heatpipes/

Do they come prebent or do you bend them yourself?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

3 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Do they come prebent or do you bend them yourself?

They are straight, but they can bend them for you if you send a plan. That's what I did, as bending without kinking is difficult when you haven't specialized tools.

what kind of psu are you using?

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/