[Finished] The number cruncher: Triple Xeon passive mineral oil cooling [Update 12: Final pictures and summary]

8 hours ago, thekeemo said:

What software do you use that utilizes the phi?

MATLAB

6 hours ago, nmil said:

Yet another awesome silent computing build. I don't quite get how the coprocessor works. So does it just act like another CPU or something? Could you maybe use this for ray tracing in CAD, cause that takes age for me.

Have a look for supported software here:

https://www.google.ch/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwif8q-6693LAhVD8RQKHUVGCbEQFggsMAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsoftware.intel.com%2Fen-us%2Ffile%2Fintel-xeon-phi-catalog-jan-2016pdf%2Fdownload&usg=AFQjCNHyZb6oWcD48qLZlIClD8arVPfuNg&sig2=eUH9VI3mcm9CBJ5rDI3EZw&bvm=bv.117868183,d.d24

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

This PC was desigend fot number crunshing and so it does. I just run a MATLAB simulation on the Silent Cube (i7-4790k) and on this machine.

Silent Cube: 3 hours 14 minutes 16 seconds

Number Cruncher: 56 minutes 55 seconds

3 times faster than a i7-4790k, not too bad. This will speed up my workfow significantly.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Wait, I forgot to ask, how much will the final build weigh. I think you said the heat sinks were 40kg, then there would be the computer hardware, so lets say 10kg and then there's the oil, what maybe 20kg. So total it would be 70kg! How do you even move that? I can only imagine that repairs would be a pain in this build.

Oh and with your last build we suggested cooking eggs on the pc, now that this build should have more effective heat transfer and higher wattages, what do you think, will we finally see some fried eggs?

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena

I have a suggestion. If the build is going  to weigh 50+kgs why not put industrial wheels on it so moving it is not as impossible. You could get locking ones so it wouldn't role around. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

3 hours ago, nmil said:

Wait, I forgot to ask, how much will the final build weigh. I think you said the heat sinks were 40kg, then there would be the computer hardware, so lets say 10kg and then there's the oil, what maybe 20kg. So total it would be 70kg! How do you even move that? I can only imagine that repairs would be a pain in this build.

Oh and with your last build we suggested cooking eggs on the pc, now that this build should have more effective heat transfer and higher wattages, what do you think, will we finally see some fried eggs?

The target weigth is 100 kg. About 55 kg for the PC and 45 kg for the oil.

Moving is easy: you simply don't do it. And if you really have to, you can take out the oil and move it seperately. 55 kg is not to difficult to lift for two persons.

I don't plan to move the PC more than 5 in it's entire lifetime. I may move to new flat in about 4 month so I may wait with filling it up with oil.

The max. oil temperature is designed to be under 50 degrees C. So no fried eggs. But sous vide is possible, but I will never but stuff that can potentially leak into the oil.

If you like tto have fried eggs, but them in the VRAM chips on the back of the Titan X. They get >90 degree C.

6 minutes ago, Trey222 said:

I have a suggestion. If the build is going  to weigh 50+kgs why not put industrial wheels on it so moving it is not as impossible. You could get locking ones so it wouldn't role around. 

Good idea. But it need quite a lot of them to get a good weith distribution. For my last build I used 16 rubber feets and this one is double the weigth.

3 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Good idea. But it need quite a lot of them to get a good weith distribution. For my last build I used 16 rubber feets and this one is double the weigth.

The wheels I used on my server case can hold 200 lbs per wheel.

Spoiler

ewVHPH7.jpg

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

9 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

The max. oil temperature is designed to be under 50 degrees C. So no fried eggs. But sous vide is possible, but I will never but stuff that can potentially leak into the oil.

If you like tto have fried eggs, but them in the VRAM chips on the back of the Titan X. They get >90 degree C.

For sous vide, Cloud you put a separate metal chamber in the middle of the tank, this would still allow fr the heat to transfer through, but not allow any spillages to go to the pc. Just imagine that: you leave your pc to do some number crunching and then come back in an hour or 2 to find your perfectly cooked fish.

10 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

There are casters for 4 post racks that are rated for 550 lbs each - so the issue isn't really distributing the weight between casters but distributing the weight across the bottom of your case. If you only have wheels on your bottom plate for example, and the bottom plate was even with the heatsinks instead of going under them as well, you would be relying on your weld between the bottom plate and heatsinks to carry almost all of the weight. Good welds can definitely hold his but it isn't something to rely on.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

21 hours ago, Suicidal Korean said:

The wheels I used on my server case can hold 200 lbs per wheel.

Reveal hidden contents

ewVHPH7.jpg

Oh the weels itself are fine, but my 2mm thick base plate can bend easely.

If I have to transport it, I will just use one of this:

821410.jpg.2f7a4cb95c5d92a7184c07fa076ae

15 hours ago, nmil said:

For sous vide, Cloud you put a separate metal chamber in the middle of the tank, this would still allow fr the heat to transfer through, but not allow any spillages to go to the pc. Just imagine that: you leave your pc to do some number crunching and then come back in an hour or 2 to find your perfectly cooked fish.

This sounds funny. But I do not have a lot of space left. Also 50°C is the minimum for sous vide and you need proper temperature regulation. And I hope the oil temperature is lower most of the time.

14 hours ago, brwainer said:

There are casters for 4 post racks that are rated for 550 lbs each - so the issue isn't really distributing the weight between casters but distributing the weight across the bottom of your case. If you only have wheels on your bottom plate for example, and the bottom plate was even with the heatsinks instead of going under them as well, you would be relying on your weld between the bottom plate and heatsinks to carry almost all of the weight. Good welds can definitely hold his but it isn't something to rely on.

Sadly I can't weld aluminium (only DC welding mashine no AC).

I will use screws and and silicon gasket. Therefor I need as less stress on the joints as possible, despite the gasket is supposed to be elastic.

7 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Sadly I can't weld aluminium (only DC welding mashine no AC).

I will use screws and and silicon gasket. Therefor I need as less stress on the joints as possible, despite the gasket is supposed to be elastic.

You can braze aluminium. It's not too difficult, although it might get a bit trickier over longer distances.

so it's safe to call this build... Passive-aggressive? *ba dum tsss*

I'll leave now

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

2 minutes ago, waggythegeek said:

so it's safe to call this build... Passive-aggressive? *ba dum tsss*

If you really like to do so sure. But it is designed to to be more stilly than aggressive.

On 2/12/2016 at 11:06 AM, IMPERIUS said:

how can a mobo have coil whine?

My super micro board had killer whine 

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

On 3/26/2016 at 1:41 AM, Stefan1024 said:

MATLAB

Should have clarified

What kind calculations do you do wit it.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

8 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Should have clarified

What kind calculations do you do wit it.

Whatever I need to solve my engineering problem. This usally involves a lot of digital signal processing and statistics.

We do uise USB oscilloscopes (not the low end 20$ once) to get raw signal data and do a lot of analyzing in MATLAB. The library of useful algorithm in MATLAB is enormous. Also I managed to utilize the Phi with MATLAB. But my "compute to data ratio" is too low on my current project, so sending the data to the Phi and back takes longer than executing the taks on the CPUs. But the automatic offloading works when I add more compute to do.

On 31.3.2016 at 2:08 AM, nmil said:

You can braze aluminium. It's not too difficult, although it might get a bit trickier over longer distances.

It's a timing paradox. I have to mount the electronic to the heat sink before I mount the heat sinks together. When I wel at this point I will fry the electronic.

Important news:

I will move around the 15.07.2016 into a new flat and therefor lose my access to the workshop with all the tools. This means the build log suddenly has a deadline!

So I just placed a lot of orders to get all the missing parts needed. Except of the GPUs. I really like to use two Polaris GPUs, but this will be a tight fit. What I still have to do:

- Picking up the ordered parts in Germanny. There the oil is just halfe the price from here. Also I reverted from silicon oil to mineral oil as even the cheapest silicon oil is three times more expensive than very high quality mineral oil.

- Ripping the WD Red 8 TB HDD out of the external encousure, seal it and make a vibration free mount. The external variant is about 60$ cheaper than the internal one despite using more material. WD your pricing strategy is trerrible.

- Make a mounting for the SSDs.

- Drill the base plate and the last heat sink.

- LED and it's controller.

- Mounting mechanic for the glas plate on the top.

- Finde somebody that cuts glas to shape and don't charge a fortune for it.

- GPU mounting and heat spreader.

- Oh and actually moving the 100 kg worth of material to the new flat.

time to start deadlifting and doing farmer walks

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

6 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Important news:

I will move around the 15.07.2016 into a new flat and therefor lose my access to the workshop with all the tools. This means the build log suddenly has a deadline!

So I just placed a lot of orders to get all the missing parts needed. Except of the GPUs. I really like to use two Polaris GPUs, but this will be a tight fit. What I still have to do:

- Picking up the ordered parts in Germanny. There the oil is just halfe the price from here. Also I reverted from silicon oil to mineral oil as even the cheapest silicon oil is three times more expensive than very high quality mineral oil.

- Ripping the WD Red 8 TB HDD out of the external encousure, seal it and make a vibration free mount. The external variant is about 60$ cheaper than the internal one despite using more material. WD your pricing strategy is trerrible.

- Make a mounting for the SSDs.

- Drill the base plate and the last heat sink.

- LED and it's controller.

- Mounting mechanic for the glas plate on the top.

- Finde somebody that cuts glas to shape and don't charge a fortune for it.

- GPU mounting and heat spreader.

- Oh and actually moving the 100 kg worth of material to the new flat.

External HDDs are cheaper than the same model internal because of the binning and much shorter warranty. You can self-warranty by using the money saved to buy extra drives, but that is a personal choice. The long warranty for slight premium and less hassle from having to shuck the drives makes it worth it for small businesses to pay more. So WD knows exactly what they are doing.

2 hours ago, brwainer said:

External HDDs are cheaper than the same model internal because of the binning and much shorter warranty. You can self-warranty by using the money saved to buy extra drives, but that is a personal choice. The long warranty for slight premium and less hassle from having to shuck the drives makes it worth it for small businesses to pay more. So WD knows exactly what they are doing.

As soon as I submerged the HDD in oil, the warrenty is void anyway ;)

18 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Why are you submerging the HDD thought that was a bad idea it will slow down the mechanism 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Just now, Maybach123 said:

Why are you submerging the HDD thought that was a bad idea it will slow down the mechanism 

The noise it produces has to be dumped by the oil. Otherwise I have to go SSD only what is freaking expensive. I had a long discussion with CaptainWD if it's possible to submerge the helioSealed SSDs. Whil it should in theory be possible, it was never tested and he can't give me a garantie it will work. So I will coat the drive with a special coating to isolate electronic parts.

2 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

That's very true - just wanted to give the reasons for the higher price.