[Finished] The number cruncher: Triple Xeon passive mineral oil cooling [Update 12: Final pictures and summary]

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

I will need to think about it. I would need to finish my 3D printer, I would need to get out my aluminum casting stuff, get propane, and plenty of other things. Might have to do it this summer...

Yes projects like this needs a lot of preparation. I was constructing this build with the CAD programm for literally weeks before I found a affordable combination that:

- can keep the componets cool

- can be costructed with the tools I have

- can actually be build: all screws accessable...

- looks nice

- don't weigh >> 100 kg

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Just now, Stefan1024 said:

Yes projects like this needs a lot of preparation. I was constructing this build with the CAD programm for literally weeks before I found a affordable combination that:

- can keep the componets cool

- can be costructed with the tools I have

- can actually be build: all screws accessable...

- looks nice

- don't weigh >> 100 kg

If I end up making this, I hope it is more serviceable than my 3D printer. Holy tits. That thing takes half an hour to remove the damn platform the bed is mounted to

Have you bought that PSU yet? The new Corsair RMx series power supplies use capacitors in the ends of the cables for voltage width control however it makes them fairly chunky and you can't bend them. I can't recall what the go is with the RMi series cables however I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same.

Followed!! Love your passive builds and have watched both others ive found :D

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

7 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Have you bought that PSU yet? The new Corsair RMx series power supplies use capacitors in the ends of the cables for voltage width control however it makes them fairly chunky and you can't bend them. I can't recall what the go is with the RMi series cables however I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same.

The PSU is ordered an will be dilivered soon.

I have to replace the cables most likely anyway because I susspect them to use rubber isolation.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Project status update:

The parts slowly beginn to show up on the door. The MoBo tray used (Lian Li D8000-3) looks very nice, sadly it is 20 mm wider than estimated from the pictures. So I can't used the heat sinks I planed.

If I go all in and just get the bigger heat sinks, I would end up with about 64 kg heat sinks. I can't do that.

I may go with the thinner heat sinks even if they have a thermal resistance of 0,25 K/W instead of 0,2 K/W. Also the base plate is thinner and I may get in troube with heat distribution. But I rely on the oil here.

I will ask for new quotes tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

The MoBo tray used (Lian Li D8000-3) looks very nice, sadly it is 20 mm wider than estimated from the pictures.

Maybe you could somehow cut (or whatever) this off? Either way, excited for how this project will turn out! :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Just now, TomvanWijnen said:

Maybe you could somehow cut (or whatever) this off? Either way, excited for how this project will turn out! :)

Yes I could, and I thought about that. But it will look bad ;)

2 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Yes I could, and I thought about that. But it will look bad ;)

Then sand it off again, and paint it or whatever (don't think all I say on these kinds of topics are good ideas, I'm 100% sure you know more about this stuff than me :P)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

On 2/2/2016 at 8:56 PM, BurnerMC said:

Fuck yeah im in, @alpenwasser get in here.

Yes, yes, I'm here! I see my 2CPU fetish is starting to be well-known. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

First time I've actually heard of the Xeon Phi used outside of supercomputers. That ain't going to be an easy thing to passively cool.

Followed.

The Cheap SFF Wonder -- Turning a Core 2 Duo SFF machine into a useful member of computer society!

i5 3570 -- AS.Rock Z77 Pro3 -- 12GB DDR3 -- R9 380X -- 840Evo 500GB/1TB HDD 

I speak the honest truth with a bit of snark mixed in. I'm sorry if it doesn't line up with your beliefs.

This seems amazing, and ridiculously expensive. Aluminum/metal plating is actually quite expensive.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

5 hours ago, fire219 said:

First time I've actually heard of the Xeon Phi used outside of supercomputers. That ain't going to be an easy thing to passively cool.

Followed.

Even Intel know the best cooling solution is passive. But they messed up the calculation and heavily underdesigned the heat sinks. As a result you have to attach a leaf blower onto it to make it work. but don't worry I will "fix" that ;)

4 hours ago, FAQBytes said:

This seems amazing, and ridiculously expensive. Aluminum/metal plating is actually quite expensive.

One of the massive heat sinks is 115$. About the same price as a water cooling radiator. Still the whole project is pretty costly.

1 hour ago, BurnerMC said:

Every one and their dog knows you love dual cpu rigs , especially ones with lga 1366 :P

3ac67e34497632c44e9ecccb8a8912b9b551a9cd

But yeah, looking forward to this. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Project status update:

I surpassed the point of no return today: I ordered the heat sinks. They will be delivered in 6-8 weeks. I will update the CAD model as soon as I have time to do so.

Also the CPUs have beed delivered today. They are quite big compared to the LGA115x series. But the lower power desity is good for cooling.

The MoBo will be delivered within the next 1-2 weeks.

Update 1: Super loud coil whine

I got the MoBo and the RAM yesterday. The first thing I did was a benchmark: 2100 in Cinebench R15. Not to bad for two 200$ CPUs

run4.thumb.jpg.3759c60fc36567857436a31ca

However the MoBo has massive coil whine >:(

It's even louder than the two Noctua fans on max speed! Here is a sample if you like: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/srbacaffpmj4b1y/AADeAuNx3Q9HkL9C76jn6miUa?dl=0

The oil can dampen some coil whine, but it will never be aber to silence that amount :(

If you know how to fiy it, please give me a hand here:

Thank you.

@Stefan1024, dude 57 cores!? Mother of God! Does it being a Xeon mean that it has 114 threads because of Hyper-Threading? This thing is INSANE!

CPU: i5 4690K @ Stock                GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX @ Stock      SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS and Drivers)     Headset: Audio-Technica M20X

Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D        RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB LP             HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB                                         Mouse: Logitech m185

OS: Windows 8.1 OEM                 PSU: Corsair RM650                                Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N Mini ITX                         Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K65 RGB

Just now, Rayhaan Jiwani said:

@Stefan1024, dude 57 cores!? Mother of God! Does it being a Xeon mean that it has 114 threads because of Hyper-Threading? This thing is INSANE!

It's a coprocessor, so it's quite different form a normal CPU. Windos does not show the cores, and they are non hyperthreded and run on 1.1 GHz by the way.

But when the programm supports it, you can send a work unit to the Xeon Phi and it will execute the task and send you the results back.

Oh, thanks for enlightening me. At least I'm a bit less jealous now because my 4 cores make rendering so slow.

CPU: i5 4690K @ Stock                GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX @ Stock      SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS and Drivers)     Headset: Audio-Technica M20X

Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D        RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB LP             HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB                                         Mouse: Logitech m185

OS: Windows 8.1 OEM                 PSU: Corsair RM650                                Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N Mini ITX                         Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K65 RGB

2 hours ago, ninninon said:

So are you going to have any fans in it? Are you going to remove the one in the PSU or are you hoping that it'll never have to turn on due to the oil?

The oil does not coduct the heat well enougth for full passive cooling. There will be a fan on each CPU cooler and the one one the PSU. But the oil should dampen the sound well enough.

Just now, ninninon said:

Sounds awesome- it's going to be pretty heavy though, and you're going to need good seals on the joints. 

I will use silicone compound and have a safety wall to catch the oil in case it leaks.

1 minute ago, ninninon said:

You could use some metal straps/braces between the joints of the heatsinks.

They will be firmly screwed together. The silicone is only for the irregularities.