[Finished] The number cruncher: Triple Xeon passive mineral oil cooling [Update 12: Final pictures and summary]

On 2/22/2016 at 4:29 PM, Stefan1024 said:

Interim report

I got the replace MoBo and this one is marvellous quiet. Also it runns up to 104 MHz BCLK and so I was able to squize out a bit more performance:

2182.thumb.png.7281b8ad08f9549e55e71e869

Those are some pretty amazing numbers for the price. You gotta love old Xeons. Also that is a pretty nice overclock for these chips. Most people can't get them over 101 in the BCLK. Best of luck with the rest of the build.

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

11 hours ago, B NEGATIVE said:

- snip -

Yes, I requested a replacement and I got I new one. This one is silent.

7 hours ago, Trey222 said:

Those are some pretty amazing numbers for the price. You gotta love old Xeons. Also that is a pretty nice overclock for these chips. Most people can't get them over 101 in the BCLK. Best of luck with the rest of the build.

I refuse to pay 1000$ for a CPU, but like to have a lot of perfromance. I had a look at different configurations and I really like this alternative.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

On 2/3/2016 at 0:10 PM, Stefan1024 said:

New renderings:
10.thumb.JPG.ff674e147ec2461ee0b91cd337a

11.thumb.JPG.bde1ffc648da5cbc0cc278d61f9

Do you use solidworks to model?

RIG:FX-6300@4.5GHz 1.4V with Hyper 212 evo with LTT NF-F12:MSI Overclockers R7 260X:4x4B Crucial Ballistix Sport:GA-970A-UD3P:1TB Seagate Brracuda & 120GB Crucial M500(OS and Programs)&Sandisk SSD PLUS(Games) In a Bitfenix Comrade with an NF-F12 as exhaust and OEM case fan as front intake

''time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time''

Just now, Stefan1024 said:

Yes I do.

Nice. Been wanting to try it out but still using Inventor with an educational licence due to pricing. Its a shame solidworks don't offer the same thing.

RIG:FX-6300@4.5GHz 1.4V with Hyper 212 evo with LTT NF-F12:MSI Overclockers R7 260X:4x4B Crucial Ballistix Sport:GA-970A-UD3P:1TB Seagate Brracuda & 120GB Crucial M500(OS and Programs)&Sandisk SSD PLUS(Games) In a Bitfenix Comrade with an NF-F12 as exhaust and OEM case fan as front intake

''time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time''

Just now, neebuilda said:

Nice. Been wanting to try it out but still using Inventor with an educational licence due to pricing. Its a shame solidworks don't offer the same thing.

Yes the price is the major downside of this programm.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Just now, ninninon said:

Does it use V-ray as a renderer? Is it basically google sketchup but more advanced?

I do use the build in photo view 360 tool to render. Not sure if it's based on V-ray.

2 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Update 5: 40 kg heat sinks

The heat sinks have been delivered today. I could barly lift the packet ;)

what material  are the heat sinks made out of and how do you plan on sealing it so no mineral oil gets out 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Jeez the heatsinks alone are almost as big as me! This is some serious stuff!

I like good humans and good food

how much is that thing going to weigh fully assembled with oil? 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

7 hours ago, Maybach123 said:

what material  are the heat sinks made out of and how do you plan on sealing it so no mineral oil gets out 

They are made of pure aluminium and black anodized. The surfaces are flat and I can produce a high mounting preasure with the screws I will use. But seal it complitly I will use some silicon gasket.

1 minute ago, Heesleemer said:

how much is that thing going to weigh fully assembled with oil? 

About 100 kg. It is recommended to take to oil out to move the PC ;)

Just now, Stefan1024 said:

About 100 kg. It is recommended to take to oil out to move the PC ;)

eh, ad a bar to it, shouldn't be hard to deadlift =P 

-a power lifter 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

21 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Yes I do.

I also use SW and agree the pricing is.....hard to swallow.....still cheaper than CATIA tho by far.

I use the keyshot renderer plug in and use HSMworks for the CAM side.

Talking of immersion builds,I used have one of those too but I used Novec 648,It doesnt ruin the board caps like mineral oil. You might want to check it out,its not cheap but better than Flourinert for the environment.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

12 hours ago, B NEGATIVE said:

I also use SW and agree the pricing is.....hard to swallow.....still cheaper than CATIA tho by far.

I use the keyshot renderer plug in and use HSMworks for the CAM side.

Talking of immersion builds,I used have one of those too but I used Novec 648,It doesnt ruin the board caps like mineral oil. You might want to check it out,its not cheap but better than Flourinert for the environment.

The Novwc fluid are made for phase change cooling ind will vaporize around 50°C. This requires a fully sealed case and a condenser.

I'm planing to use silicon oil as it is less aggressive than mineral oil.

10 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

The Novwc fluid are made for phase change cooling ind will vaporize around 50°C. This requires a fully sealed case and a condenser.

I'm planing to use silicon oil as it is less aggressive than mineral oil.

Actually,they are not,they are fire suppression fluids and boil at 60c,it uses the same process of heat removal as your oil but is significantly more efficient. The boiling action is the primary heat removal method.

Phase change uses refrigerant gas,not fluid. Common gases for phase are

• R413
  • R404a
  • R507
  • R410
  • R22
  • R402
  • R290
  • R600(a)
  • R134a

Because Novec vapour is heavier than air,you dont need a fully sealed unit but you do require a condenser unit,easily made however.

The best thing is that your kit is never damaged by it and hardware can be pulled out and be dry by the time it leaves the case,no clean up in the slightest.

I look forward to seeing what you finish up with.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

3 hours ago, B NEGATIVE said:

- snip -

Whan the liquid evaporates, it will expand and my tank will overflow within seconds. Also the vapor will rise to the surface quickly and does not get in significant contact with the heat sinks build into the walls. My design is not functional with this method.

However, this method sounds interesting and will be taken into consideration for a next build. This time around I'm way to deep into the process to make such drastic changes.

I totally get that.

Shame you are not local,I still have 2 ltrs of 648 left.

Are you planning on putting the oil and stuff under vacuum? I saw on photonicinduction's youtube channel that the oil in his HV transformer is put in there warm and then when the lid is put on it and sealed, the chamber develops a vacuum, sucking the oil into the small gaps in the transformer

20 hours ago, B NEGATIVE said:

I totally get that.

Shame you are not local,I still have 2 ltrs of 648 left.

It looks like you have good knowledge on this fluids. Do you happen to have a submerged PC?

20 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Are you planning on putting the oil and stuff under vacuum? I saw on photonicinduction's youtube channel that the oil in his HV transformer is put in there warm and then when the lid is put on it and sealed, the chamber develops a vacuum, sucking the oil into the small gaps in the transformer

I just watched the video.

As the parts are desigend to be air cooled, so "normal" submersion should do the trick just fine. Also I will never be able to seal the case airtight to do this.

2 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

It looks like you have good knowledge on this fluids. Do you happen to have a submerged PC?

I just tinkered with it mainly,a proof of concept thing,it was.......functional.

It was a case of finding an enclosure that didnt eventually leak,this was a few years ago now tho.

Watercooling is my thing primarily,the alternatives are too time/maintenance hungry.

5 minutes ago, B NEGATIVE said:

I just tinkered with it mainly,a proof of concept thing,it was.......functional.

It was a case of finding an enclosure that didnt eventually leak,this was a few years ago now tho.

Watercooling is my thing primarily,the alternatives are too time/maintenance hungry.

Nice, do you have a picture?

What did you ended up using for the encousure?

Also I don't like maintainance too. I designed the PCs in a way they should not require some.

• 3 weeks later...

Update 6: 73 cores, 450 watts, 846 GFlops

Xeon Phi on Windows 10 is a freaking nightmare! MATLAB somehow don't use the automatic offlod feature despite it is set to do so. At least the linpack benchmark is using it, so and I know the HW is working. The Xeon Phi uses up to 270 watts ( @iamdarkyoshi : that's the same as the 390X ;) ) but as I was able to salvage the phase chamber from the original cooler I can spread out the heat enougth to handle it.

And when the reported power draw of the PC is increasing by 250 watts you know it is running. But by burning througth that much power, it manages to score 846 GFlops! This may not look impressive compared to a GPU, but keep in minde this are CPU cores. A i7-6600k has about 200 GFlops and we are talking about >3 year old hardware here.

Benchmark results.txt

power3.jpg.1b559c911b78997d4e5d6f1807be1

56edc822c54fb_2016-03-1922.07.25.thumb.j

56edc83773083_2016-03-1922.10.55.thumb.j

ETA for oil?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.