A third of all PC gamers on Steam use Windows 10

Nineshadow
15 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Because Steam doesn't just collect your system specs and OS, it collects info on all applications and drivers installed on your system, and peripherals connected to it.

Oh no, Steam knows I use HWInfo and that I only have an old Ducky Shine 3 and not Shine 5 >:(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

1 hour ago, Linusinium said:

I see some of you guys are enthusiastic about DX alternatives, for the gaming segment to free itself of windows. A viable alternative needs a lot of traction within the industry just to get going. Independent studios could work together but gaining AAA studios support is tough because according to a DICE dev, a mere mention of alternatives drives people into panic mode over coding the same game twice. I would like to be proven wrong on this but I don't see the incentive for anyone with enough momentum to stir things up. Nvidia could probably drive it but has no motivation to do so.

Using Vulkan doesn't mean having to code the same game twice though. In fact, for cross-platform it could reduce the amount of work needed, as Vulkan isn't Windows-only.

Reasonable percentage after half of year from release. It's a good thing for sure.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

A third of all PC gamers on Steam*

Steam does not represent PC gaming as a whole.

6 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

I want a start menu that works at my speed. I frequently access different pinned programs from my start menu while editing documents, and maneuvering into live tiles, and scanning that visual noise can be interrupting of my thought-stream when moving a particular piece of text that I'm expanding upon across programs. Having pinned items in the start menu is about as transparent as the task of accessing apps gets. Making the process more involved serves no functional purpose that I can see.

I find it way better since I can have much more there, and group them together as I see fit. Since the groups are big I quickly learn their locations, and therefore always have a good estimate to where I want is, so really no more looking than through the few pinned you could have in 7. 
Worth noting though, things I pin to the start menu are usually stuff that I use rarely or is hard to find with search (say the startup folder) or stuff I often forget the name of. 
The taskbar is were I keep my daily programs. 
Apart from this, I just search for stuff, like I've done since 7 arrived. I even search for stuff on my taskbar just because I don't want to move my hand to the mouse. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Microsoft "Big Brother" concerns notwithstanding, many gamers are switching in anticipation of new game releases that leverage the new APIs in DX 12. If everything the OEMs are saying is true, DX 12 = sizable performance increases with existing hardware just by allowing better direct access to the hardware. 

Considering how much info we leak out on the internet freely, the metrics Windows 10 (and 7, with updates) collects are pretty paltry. If you're doing something that you want protected, go install TAILS Linux. Yes, i'm sure the NSA is really invested in learning how many hours you sunk into Cities:Skylines last night.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

Why does everybody hate Windows 10 so much? I get that they are pushy about it, but in all honesty it simply seems like a better Windows 8.1, not to mention Windows 8. (But who seriously still uses that?) 

Windows 10 has been an issue free OS for me so far, you spend 5 minutes removing some of the weird logging that is build in, and you are good to go. 

Third of gamers on steam use crappy laptops with windows 7 or later. With MS brute-forcing the windows 10 there is no wonder its so big. Not to mention Linux and iOS support for games is signifacantly lower than for windows.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Still at 7 here for the simple reason of being lazy and stressed for time atm. Switching to a new OS is nothing something I do lightly as one has to set things and get used to it. IT is the same reason why I told them at work not to change my PC (I name her the Gremlin) because I know all its quirks and how to deal with them and I hate it everytime I sit down behind an other PC because stuff is just that tiny bit different.

I am sure I will upgrade to 10 sooner or later, but only when I have the time to set things up.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

Good I wish people would just suck it up and go with W10. There isn't really much of a difference between the to. Mainly cosmetic changes. Most of which I quite like. Performance is better. Some things I don;t like but I got over them really fast. It's not like W8 in any way.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

5 hours ago, Redicat said:

I hate Windows 10 and their services are using all my raw CPU power -.-

It's not Windows 10 using up your CPU. You have something entirely different hogging up resources.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

13 hours ago, Khvarrioiren said:

It's not Windows 10 using up your CPU. You have something entirely different hogging up resources.

Than what? lol?

Shell experience isn't Windows than?

3 minutes ago, Redicat said:

Than what? lol?

Shell experience isn't Windows than?

It took me quite a while to understand what you're saying. WSEH is something that is up to the end user. If you're using dynamic backrgrounds or the color change feature, there's no one else to blame than yourself.

7 minutes ago, Khvarrioiren said:

It took me quite a while to understand what you're saying. WSEH is something that is up to the end user. If you're using dynamic backrgrounds or the color change feature, there's no one else to blame than yourself.

True i had to disable it manually but than what? how is the regular consumer gonna know how to get Windows to work? should it not be more optimised?

Like now it isn't even using .5 of a Ghz on 1 core but when i did not disable it was like using almost 20% without a reason.

On 3/2/2016 at 3:37 AM, alamox said:

you mean those with intel graphic GPUs...52% of install base on desktop is still on win7, if win10 was doing as good as they said, they wouldn't have been pushing so desperately for it, and we would have seen way more DX12 products by now.

They need to add a gas cloud on the lower right side of posts for whenever a post is full of farts.

On 3/2/2016 at 2:02 PM, Daring said:

A third of all PC gamers on Steam*

Steam does not represent PC gaming as a whole.

with over 150 million users, it's more then enough to be considered a good sample size.

18 hours ago, Redicat said:

True i had to disable it manually but than what? how is the regular consumer gonna know how to get Windows to work? should it not be more optimised?

Like now it isn't even using .5 of a Ghz on 1 core but when i did not disable it was like using almost 20% without a reason.

It's just yet another "feature" they didn't bother finishing or optimizing. We've had quite a few customers coming in and complaining about somewhat high CPU usage at idle, and that stupid thing was always the culprit. But hey woo non-static backgrounds woo..

Just put Windows 7 Home Premium back on my current rig, my better half wanted this OS over 10, and decided to go with 8.1 on the new one.  Windows 10 needs a bit more time to see a few things ironed out before I will make the move.  

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

On 2/3/2016 at 1:06 PM, Fetzie said:

Do you even get a choice of whether you participate in the steam hardware survey?

Yes.

Personally I always participate when asked, I guess I don't have a problem with it since they show us exactly what info was collected.

4 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Yes.

Personally I always participate when asked, I guess I don't have a problem with it since they show us exactly what info was collected.

I participate because it's another data point in the "more users than before have higher core count CPUs, so software should be developed with this in mind" box in the Big Data used to detemine target specs for games in development.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II