GPU Coil whine amplified by external audio interface

Althos

Hi, I've recently acquired active speakers (Yamaha HS80M) as well as an external audio interface (Komplete Audio 6), however, I recently realized that every time my GPU starts working, my speakers start emitting the coil whine sound from my GTX 970, except amplified. The coil whine sound of my GTX is usually inaudible even with no other sound while gaming (Fractal Design R5 case) and you have to put your ear near the PSU 8-pin connector to hear it.

Other details :  

-I use balanced cables for both my speakers, my interface is connected to my PC via USB (I've tried multiple ports)

-The speakers don't actually need to be connected to the interface for them to pick up the sound, just putting the tip of the cable on any metal part of the interface will make the coil whine sound audible through the speakers

-I've tried putting my HS80M on a different power socket, also separating them, trying one at a time, moving the cables,..

-My headphones don't pick up the sound when I plug them through the audio interface

I'm out of solutions at this point and need to know if my external audio card is faulty, my speakers not ground properly,... or if it's just something I can't do much about
Thanks a lot for your help!

1 hour ago, Althos said:

The cables going to the speakers are they next to any power cables or other cables, or maybe a wall socket or cables in the wall. Because if its not plugged in how is it the gpu whine unless you gpu is sending out some serious magnetic energy.

My other idea would be something to do with the power supply.

The Dick of the audio page!

1 minute ago, EndlessOyster said:

The cables going to the speakers are they next to any power cables or other cables, or maybe a wall socket or cables in the wall. Because if its not plugged in how is it the gpu whine unless you gpu is sending out some serious magnetic energy.

My other idea would be something to do with the power supply.

As I said, I know it reproduces the GPU coil whine because I can actually hear the exact same sound coming directly from the GPU when putting my ear close to it, as to how the sound is going into the speakers, I have no idea, maybe through the motherboard and a poorly shielded USB Cable ? It would explain why I can put the tip of one of my speaker cables on any metallic part of the interface and pick up the noise

Just now, Althos said:

As I said, I know it reproduces the GPU coil whine because I can actually hear the exact same sound coming directly from the GPU when putting my ear close to it, as to how the sound is going into the speakers, I have no idea, maybe through the motherboard and a poorly shielded USB Cable ? It would explain why I can put the tip of one of my speaker cables on any metallic part of the interface and pick up the noise

what psu you got?

The Dick of the audio page!

1 minute ago, EndlessOyster said:

what psu you got?

I had a CX600 up until today, just switched it for an EVGA Supernova G2, no change whatsoever, the buzzing sound is coming from the graphics card, and seems to be near the VGA connector, it also changes it pitch depending on onscreen FPS, looks to me like standard coil whine

Check the audio troubleshooting guide in my signature. Trying a different combination of power harnesses for the GPU may help, if you have them available.

4 hours ago, SSL said:

Check the audio troubleshooting guide in my signature. Trying a different combination of power harnesses for the GPU may help, if you have them available.

Checked it, tried launching a benchmark (to hear the coil whine on my speakers), then unplugging EVERYTHING from my computer : Screen, mouse, keyboard all other peripherals, while my computer itself was plugged to another wall socket (via an extender cord), I also tried moving the audio cables so that they're not near any power source, tried unplugging only one speaker, removing everything uneeded from my power strip,... and it made 0 difference

What I realized however was that not only do the speakers emit the coil whine sound just by touching any metallic part of my audio interface, but they also do it by touching any metallic part of my computer with the tip of the cable, and it also work by touching the tip of the USB cable of my DAC to any metallic part of my case. I'm no expert but it makes me guess that either my computer (motherboard probably) isn't properly grounded or my speakers aren't. Also, as I said earlier, my headphones aren't picking up any noise at all no matter where I plug them

If anyone has any idea where to start considering what I just said, I would be very glad, because I feel like I'm running out of ideas at that point

Thanks again for your help!

5 minutes ago, Althos said:

Checked it, tried launching a benchmark (to hear the coil whine on my speakers), then unplugging EVERYTHING from my computer : Screen, mouse, keyboard all other peripherals, while my computer itself was plugged to another wall socket (via an extender cord), I also tried moving the audio cables so that they're not near any power source, tried unplugging only one speaker, removing everything uneeded from my power strip,... and it made 0 difference

What I realized however was that not only do the speakers emit the coil whine sound just by touching any metallic part of my audio interface, but they also do it by touching any metallic part of my computer with the tip of the cable, and it also work by touching the tip of the USB cable of my DAC to any metallic part of my case. I'm no expert but it makes me guess that either my computer (motherboard probably) isn't properly grounded or my speakers aren't. Also, as I said earlier, my headphones aren't picking up any noise at all no matter where I plug them

If anyone has any idea where to start considering what I just said, I would be very glad, because I feel like I'm running out of ideas at that point

Thanks again for your help!

Sounds like either lack of grounding, or a ground loop.

Are all your components (including speakers) plugged into the same power strip? Which has, I assume, a three-prong power cable? How old is your house?

5 hours ago, SSL said:

Sounds like either lack of grounding, or a ground loop.

Are all your components (including speakers) plugged into the same power strip? Which has, I assume, a three-prong power cable? How old is your house

Yes, it is a 3-prong power strip and I'm using 3-pronged power cables for both my speakers and my computer (as well as my monitor) and all the wiring in my appartment as been redone up to code a few years ago, so it should be grounded properly

Okay, I finally found the goddamn issue, my room is indeed not ground properly, which is very strange because as I said earlier, all the wiring in the house was done a few years back, which means it has to be grounded by law where I live

I managed to have no noise on my speakers by plugging my extender into the bathroom (which has been required to have a ground by law for a few decades, so you can be sure it has it), and surprise, no noise on the speakers, no noise touching the metallic parts of my case with the tip of the cable,... I also used the same power strip and everything, so it has to be coming from the wiring of my apartment, I guess I will have to talk with my roomates about it later...

Thanks a lot for your help again, I can finally go to sleep at 3:27 AM!

9 minutes ago, Althos said:

Okay, I finally found the goddamn issue, my room is indeed not ground properly, which is very strange because as I said earlier, all the wiring in the house was done a few years back, which means it has to be grounded by law where I live

I managed to have no noise on my speakers by plugging my extender into the bathroom (which has been required to have a ground by law for a few decades, so you can be sure it has it), and surprise, no noise on the speakers, no noise touching the metallic parts of my case with the tip of the cable,... I also used the same power strip and everything, so it has to be coming from the wiring of my apartment, I guess I will have to talk with my roomates about it later...

Thanks a lot for your help again, I can finally go to sleep at 3:27 AM!

Bummer. I'd recommend buying a socket tester, make sure any more "work" that is done to fix the wiring is done properly.

It's okay, it's not that bad, I just hate spending hundreds of euros on quality products and having unknown issues with it, I'm actually glad to know it wasn't something I did wrong but rather something out of my control

I will call the realtors (I think that's what you call the society managing appartments and houses ?) and ask them about it I guess

15 minutes ago, Althos said:

It's okay, it's not that bad, I just hate spending hundreds of euros on quality products and having unknown issues with it, I'm actually glad to know it wasn't something I did wrong but rather something out of my control

I will call the realtors (I think that's what you call the society managing appartments and houses ?) and ask them about it I guess

If the ground is indeed missing, it's a potential safety issue and the onus is on them to fix it.