LG has refused to RMA my Phone without providing a reason as to why.

raendeu

Hi Guys.

God I am still fuming, so up front I am sorry for any inconsistencies in this thread.

I will start with a TL;DR - Because this is going to be a bit long, in case anyone wants a short cut of what happened.

> Bought LG G4 H815
> 3 Months of having the phone
> Broke on Christmas
> Phone in RMA for over a month (Yes, I was without ANY phone FOR A MONTH.)
> LG doesn't answer E-mails (4 sent, tried to contact them, nothing)
> Phone sent back (Finally.)
> Phone not repaired - No box selected or reason provided on the "Unable to repair" form.
> Phone has stopped working at all (It was bootlooping before, now it doesn't turn on at all.)
> LG Customer Service trolls their customers worse than Linus in his Office Robbery prank. The prank was funny, LG is not.
> I am without a phone again, and apparently down 260£ on a phone the LG Repair has bricked.

So. Now the long story with details.

About 3 months before Christmas, I have bought an LG G4 H815 International. I have bought it from one of the shops which you can find in "Google Shopping".

Now the huge mistake in that, was that I have expected the phone to come straight from an UK Company. That was my mistake number one, not checking which company exactly am I buying from. But nevertheless, the phone took a while to come to UK - but it did. And it worked perfectly, the IMEI was correct, and the phone had a full LG Warranty, as well as the warranty of the company which sold me the phone.

Fast forward to three months later, which is now about Christmas.

The phone was working perfectly and all good, until LITERALLY the day after Christmas,the phone has randomly shut down on me while browsing reddit and imgur app in it.
At first, I thought that the phone simply crashed because of the memory leak or something of that sort. That thought quickly went away when I realised that the phone doesn't turn no matter how long and how many times I press the button on the back of it.

Standard procedure commenced - Take the removable back off, take the battery - put it back on.
Didn't work. A little bit of panic ensued - action repeat - Phone turned back on after about 4th time.

And when the phone finally turned on, it was the moment I realised that I will need to RMA it as fast as possible. - It began to randomly shut down on me, without any indication why.

I believe that is known in the LG G4 community as the bootloop.

Many threads on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg4/search?q=bootloop&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all

Many videos on Youtube:

Now in case of my phone, (this is important) it was turning on. Now it did work through the menu - and then it was shutting down. Or it was shutting down in the middle of browsing a website. Or 2 minutes into it.
The point being here, is that it was turning on. And it did work through the boot. Sometimes it looped three times before actually turning on, and then went off after 5 seconds. You had to take the battery, and put it back in. Didn't work? Try again. It worked on the 5th time. Okay, Bootloop again, - and so on. You can continue this like an IF statement in VBA.

Whatever the reason for shutting down - it was defective. That was obvious. I could not even risk calling anyone from the phone, without them thinking that I am bailing in the middle of the conversation. It was absurd.

Regarding the faulty devices, no statement was ever made from LG as far as I know. People reported on the /r/LGG4 that they have sent back their phone and got them RMA'd straight after a week, as it is a known issue among the community and LG is also aware of the fact that a bunch of their mobile phones came out faulty.

People speculated that it was an Android update, others that it was the battery, others that it was the Hardware. I couldn't play with all of that, buy the 15£ battery just to find out that it was the motherboard. I decided to let the "experts" fix it.
Oh God, was I naive.

Well then, I have decided to RMA the phone.
Obviously, first I thought about returning it back to the company that has sold me the Device. However I expected them to return me the same defective H815 series (pre November or September).

I have made the decision to contact the LG Mobile Support - provided them with all the data they required, including IMEI and proof of purchase, described the issue as possible bootloop - and they have accepted the device for RMA. (This is important to anyone thinking that the phone being out of UK is of some valid excuse here.)

Up this this point, the LG service was decent. They sent the courier, he picked the phone up - I have left the phone exactly as it was, battery charged, Factory reset.

Next is where the hell beings.

I have decided to contact LG Support after about 2 weeks. The phone takes time to go through it takes time to fix it, and it takes time to actually go through Processing - so two weeks seemed like a fairly extensive leeway.
By that time I was actually kind of pissed that I didn't get any "repair tracking" code or anything of the sort.

I have gave the phone to the DPD guy, and the contact was cut. No E-mails from LG, nothing.

One E-mail asking for the status of the repair, any updates on when could I expect it?
Nothing.

Another E-mail next week, is there an SLA on the repairs? What should I expect?
Nothing.

As you can expect by then, I was actually kind of freaking pissed to be without a phone for over 3 weeks, LG Customer Service decided not to give a crap whatsoever about it's customer at all.
E-mail number three - by then I have seriously started checking whether the website and E-mail I have contacted is legit at all. Have I been scammed out of the phone, or what?

Finally, managed to get a hold of the Customer Service Chat. That was today.

Why Finally? Well - They do work 9am-5pm, but somehow whenever I have checked the "Mobile Chat" was Offline. Great.
Why have I not called? Well it would be nice to have a phone to call from. Perhaps I should have just took some time at work to call from there. I was lazy, I truly admit myself there.

The person in the chat have confirmed that they have just sent the phone, and that they have a tracking number from Royal Mail to confirm it!

Splendid!

My phone is finally here, after a month without it, I might get my phone back and everything will be alright. I have collected the phone from the local post office as any normal working person would do, unless there actually is someone that is working 8-4 and somehow able to collect their mail at 11am.

I opened the package at the post office, just to check whether the phone had a screen cracked or any of the sort - and to my surprise - Unable to Repair Return Form.

Unable to Repair Return Form.

But there was hope! The form is Absolutely blank. It doesn't state a reason nor any of the boxes with the standard reasons are ticked.
I thought it may have been included as a mistake? Why is it there if it's blank? What's the point of giving an Unable to repair form, without filling in why was it not repaired?

But everything became obvious when I got home.

I put the battery in the phone - I tried turning it on, nothing happened. I plugged in the USB cable with it to my PC, the red LED on the top turned on for a second, and the phone died.

Great.

Just great.

Now I have been without a phone for a month. I will try to get a new battery just to check whether that is the issue. It's a hopeful thinking, it may be. Maybe for some reason the voltage on the battery spikes, and that's the reason for bootlooping. It was reported somewhere that it was.

But I'm not having any hope for that. I will try, but at this point this is just a one big freaking joke.

I have two documents that have been provided for me,

One is the blank Unable to Repair Return Form, and the other is the Call Tracking.

Funny thing out of the Call Tracking,

The phone has been "Repaired" on 12/01/2016.

It was delivered to me Today by Royal Mail. I will attach the documents tomorrow when I scan them, as I don't have a Phone to take a picture of them, (I am actually laughing at this myself) and will blur any personal data including the person repairing the phone. Maybe someone can tell me something out of it.

The conclusion?

I don't want to say Don't buy LG phones. I loved my G2. It was a solid phone, it was the reason why I bought the G4.

But how LG UK has handled this whole situation? Not contacting me at all, not providing any reasons for why they cannot repair the phone? Phone being in the warehouse for over 2 weeks, as I know Royal Mail is not perfect - but to be delivered from 12/Jan to 02/Feb?

I am just stunned.

I am stunned, and without a freaking phone to use. Because before I could at least take the battery off, and put it back on again - It tried to work. Now it doesn't turn on at all, and LG didn't even try to put a replacement battery in.

What should I do now if even LG UK refuses to repair the phone back, which they accepted to repair?

I am stunned.

/////
Space for the picture proof of the documents, will attach them tomorrow.

Weird here in Croatia I've owned LG G3 for 18 months and because they had a defect in the case a little crack that appears where the 3.5mm slot is, I can go in and get the whole new phone for free. I've also had similar problems with the phones before also LG's and the repair shops just give you a new phone. I assume you are in the UK (Right side of the pond ) ? Did you try going to another licensed repair shop? Try consulting consumer rights groups, we got quite few of them usually they can help you get your consumer rights for free ( Most of the time they ask for 'story' ).

About me | Blog 

This is a time when you have to put your foot down. Call them from work. When you get a human on the phone, only say "I want to speak with a manager" and say nothing else until you have a manager on the line. Go over everything you listed above, in detail, and tell them you want it fixed. If they have labeled one shed of paper with the word "repaired" then you need to demand that they repair or replace it, especially if it was within the manufacturer's warranty period when you first sent it in.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Stupid questions, but I have to ask:

1. Did you unlock the bootloader and/or root the phone? You'd have mentioned this step, but I have to ask based upon past experience.

2. Are you sure the phone came to you new? I'd bet the issue lies with that third-party reseller. Some of them do some shady crap like putting the phone back in an LG box, wrapping it and selling it as brand new, and you might have been the lucky winner of a phone that had been blacklisted for some reason.

Call them back and keep pressing until you get to tier 2 customer service/a supervisor. If they don't know or won't tell you why your phone was sent back without being repaired, keep pushing up the line. There are notes on your RMA about why it was rejected.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

12 minutes ago, Macronus said:

I've also had similar problems with the phones before also LG's and the repair shops just give you a new phone. I assume you are in the UK (Right side of the pond ) ? Did you try going to another licensed repair shop?

What do you mean by Repair Shops? I have contacted their website and they sent a courier which picked up the phone. Is there a licensed LG Repair Store in UK, or do you mean your carrier? (Phone is SIM Free)

12 minutes ago, Macronus said:

Try consulting consumer rights groups, we got quite few of them usually they can help you get your consumer rights for free ( Most of the time they ask for 'story' ).

Exactly what I thought. I most likely will, I just need to find the correct Government Agency. Any ideas who deals with this sort of stuff in United Kingdom? (This is not purely for you, as you are from Croatia. I wonder if anyone in UK had similar problems?)

11 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

This is a time when you have to put your foot down. Call them from work. When you get a human on the phone, only say "I want to speak with a manager" and say nothing else until you have a manager on the line. Go over everything you listed above, in detail, and tell them you want it fixed. If they have labeled one shed of paper with the word "repaired" then you need to demand that they repair or replace it, especially if it was within the manufacturer's warranty period when you first sent it in.

I agree on that. That is exactly what I will do tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Stupid questions, but I have to ask:

1. Did you unlock the bootloader and/or root the phone? You'd have mentioned this step, but I have to ask based upon past experience.

2. Are you sure the phone came to you new? I'd bet the issue lies with that third-party reseller. Some of them do some shady crap, and you might have been the lucky winner of a phone that had been blacklisted for some reason.

Not really, those are valid questions.

1. No I have not. I was thinking of that, but as I haven't seen any good roms for G4 and some of them were glitched - I decided not to. So the phone is Bootloader free and not rooted.

2. But it wasn't. The thing is, that both of the reasons you have mentioned are on the Unable To Repair Return Form.
a.) Warranty Void - Software or network unlock invalidated the warranty.
b.) Blacklisted - IMEI has been barred by UK Networks

Neither of them is selected
In fact, none of the boxes are ticket. The form was sent blank, with only my details of the RMA attached on the bottom.

And during my initial chat with the LG Service person, he asked for the IMEI which I provided - and he accepted the RMA by sending the courier for the phone.

Why accept the phone if it would be banned, stolen, or LG UK would be unable to repair it?

8 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Call them back and keep pressing until you get to tier 2 customer service/a supervisor. If they don't know or won't tell you why your phone was sent back without being repaired, keep pushing up the line. There are notes on your RMA about why it was rejected.

That's what I thought, the Company must have some proof of what happened, why the repair was rejected or even if they were physically unable to repair the phone.

I.e. The guy had no idea what was wrong with it.

But then the questions from my side just pile up.

- Why not include that in the Unable To Repair Return Form?
- Why not send a replacement or refurb?
- Why is the phone in the worse state than initially I have sent it to LG? (It was turning on and looping after 5min-2 hours : Now it doesn't turn on at all)

8 minutes ago, raendeu said:

Why accept the phone if it would be banned, stolen, or LG UK would be unable to repair it?

- Why not include that in the Unable To Repair Return Form?
- Why not send a replacement or refurb?
- Why is the phone in the worse state than initially I have sent it to LG? (It was turning on and looping after 5min-2 hours : Now it doesn't turn on at all)

I wish I could answer those questions for you. I think going to LG and forcing your way up the food chain is your best bet at this point. Instead of trying to get the reasoning from them, I'd instead phrase it as, "If the phone can't be repaired, then I'm entitled to a replacement unit, right?". If they refuse to RMA it again and replace it, the reasoning why will come out and give you some footing to fight from.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Have you checked your IMEI on an IMEI checker online? Swappa.com/esn should work in the UK

Is the device used/refurbished or was it brand new?

3 hours ago, EpicGeekonFire said:

Have you checked your IMEI on an IMEI checker online? Swappa.com/esn should work in the UK

Is the device used/refurbished or was it brand new?

Device was new.

Results
Blacklisted   Not Indicated 
This device does not appear to be globally blacklisted.
Activation Status   Clear 
Device appears to be activation ready.
Ting   Bring your Sprint or GSM device to Ting! 
No contracts. Just pay for what you use.
Results last updated 0 minutes ago. Check again without cache.
 Devices
lg-g4_41x80.png LG G4 (Unlocked) [H815] £275 - 275
Device matching is as accurate as possible, but not always 100%.

Small update, phone is supposedly out of warranty, they'll contact the CR and get the repair notes. I could call them back today, but I'm way too busy so I'll continue this tomorrow with all the arguments on my side.

The support on the phone was quite surprised and asked me more than once whether I have received a letter with the statement. Well yes I did, IT WAS BLANK.

And since she couldn't find it in the system in the first place and had to contact repair services for details, this is just getting better every second

• 3 months later...

I'm having problems with LG's support too after my phone experiencing the boot loop issue. I was just wondering whether you have had any success in your endeavours.

My issue (not as serious as yours but still):

On 23/05/2016 at 2:00 AM, Mug said:

I'm having problems with LG's support too after my phone experiencing the boot loop issue. I was just wondering whether you have had any success in your endeavours.

My issue (not as serious as yours but still):

Hah, mate.

LG UK refused to repair it, and basically told me to "fuck off the phone is from Taiwan".

So I send it back to the reseller... Over a month ago. Still waiting for ANY response at all from their repair team. (http://www.simplyelectronics.net if anyone cares.)
Phone broke in December 26.

So I'm without LG G4 for 5 months. I had the phone for 2 months.

LG can stick a bunch of pinecones up their anuses as far as I care, and that was the last LG product I will buy for a long time. Their support is fucking abysmal, the fact that they're a global company and refuse the repair THEIR product like it's some kind of a district war, because it was imported from Taiwan. How the fuck was I supposed to know that buying from a company that claims to be British?

Bunch of absolute bellends.

35 minutes ago, raendeu said:

Hah, mate.

LG UK refused to repair it, and basically told me to "fuck off the phone is from Taiwan".

So I send it back to the reseller... Over a month ago. Still waiting for ANY response at all from their repair team. (http://www.simplyelectronics.net if anyone cares.)
Phone broke in December 26.

So I'm without LG G4 for 5 months. I had the phone for 2 months.

LG can stick a bunch of pinecones up their anuses as far as I care, and that was the last LG product I will buy for a long time. Their support is fucking abysmal, the fact that they're a global company and refuse the repair THEIR product like it's some kind of a district war, because it was imported from Taiwan. How the fuck was I supposed to know that buying from a company that claims to be British?

Bunch of absolute bellends.

Yep, it's just about the weirdest company I've ever dealt with.

Just wondering, did you buy your phone before or after the 1st of October 2015? If you did, you should send them this letter:

Before: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/template-letters/letters/consumer-template-letters/letter-to-complain-about-faulty-goods/letter-to-complain-about-faulty-goods-bought-before-1-october-2015/

After:https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/template-letters/letters/consumer-template-letters/letter-to-complain-about-faulty-goods/

This should help your cause. I've been looking into other people's cases too and it turns out that LG has pretty much found any way to transfer responsibility for their faulty products. It's completely ridiculous.

6 hours ago, Mug said:

Yep, it's just about the weirdest company I've ever dealt with.

Just wondering, did you buy your phone before or after the 1st of October 2015? If you did, you should send them this letter:

Before: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/template-letters/letters/consumer-template-letters/letter-to-complain-about-faulty-goods/letter-to-complain-about-faulty-goods-bought-before-1-october-2015/

After:https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/template-letters/letters/consumer-template-letters/letter-to-complain-about-faulty-goods/

This should help your cause. I've been looking into other people's cases too and it turns out that LG has pretty much found any way to transfer responsibility for their faulty products. It's completely ridiculous.

Who's the trader in this case?

LG UK HQ?

9 hours ago, raendeu said:

Who's the trader in this case?

LG UK HQ?

Well, you'd just change the wording based on who you think will be easiest to get to.

I'd send one to the company you bought it from and one to LG, you should include a bit about honouring contract law.