Firefox and Edge NOT friendly

GoodBytes
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

I have been able to reproduce the Edge Mobile issue, and have reported it to the relevant people.

In Firefox, as far as I know, it's only tagging that causes problems, and it only prevents tagging from working again for a while. While this obviously isn't desirable, it's not a critical issue. That issue has already been reported to the relevant people.

I know most people uses Chrome, but the posting anything using Firefox or Edge is beyond broken. The text box, where you type a post, under Edge, when typing, if you hit ENTER, or Shift Enter, in the post, the cursor jumps Ike 5-6 lines, and you can no longer type, refocusing to text box doesn't work either. Hitting backspace, RELOADS the page. Under Firefox, if you do an emoticon, or use the name tagging feature, then everything screws up until you either reload the page, or undo.

The text box needs to be replaces. A return to the basic HTML text box, and no more this Java Script abomination is needed, or at least as an option like before, for no. Chrome users.

Chrome is painfully slow to load.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

5 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Chrome is painfully slow to load.

But it works. Also Edge loads forums even slower for me. I don't have that abomination they call Firefox to test it.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I know most people Chrome, but the posting anything using Firefox or Edge is beyond broken. The text box, where you type a post, under Edge, when typing, if you hit ENTER, or Shift Enter, in the post, the cursor jumps Ike 5-6 lines, and you can no longer type. Hitting backspace, RELOADS the page. Under Firefox, if you do an emoticon, or use the name tag, then everything screws up until you either reload the page, or undo.

The text box needs to be replaces. A return to the basic HTML text box, and this Java Script abomination, needs to be returned back, at least as an option, for no. Chrome users.

Real world problems man. I feel your pain for I use Edge as well.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I thought I was doing something wrong when tagging, but it turns out to be the shitty editor. I guess I'll have to use the abomination that Chrome is for the forum until it gets fixed.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

I'm not having problems with Firefox 43.0.4. (Win7) Live tagging is 50/50 on working. Mobile is just, well, bad.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, Chasem121 said:

This forum is like a Bethesda game, it was released broken and buggy as hell

And the users need to fix it by making custom CSS. :D I've already tinkered with it a bit.

I posted that comment with Firefox 44.0 and didn't have any issue, but I ran into some problems with tagging yesterday.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

4 minutes ago, Chasem121 said:

it's like google+ comments for youtube, nobody asked for it and it came out broken

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

3 minutes ago, Chasem121 said:

I'm pretty impressed how well things work. Alpha was just unusable for most parts.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

After i switch to win10 I started using edge (for maybe 8months?). I thought it was faster than chrome until i switched back to chrome earlier this day cos i had have enough of edge's "lagginess". 

10 minutes ago, Chasem121 said:

At least its not an EA game, the forums at least WORK

@Iamdarkbowser

44 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I know most people uses Chrome, but the posting anything using Firefox or Edge is beyond broken. The text box, where you type a post, under Edge, when typing, if you hit ENTER, or Shift Enter, in the post, the cursor jumps Ike 5-6 lines, and you can no longer type, refocusing to text box doesn't work either. Hitting backspace, RELOADS the page. Under Firefox, if you do an emoticon, or use the name tagging feature, then everything screws up until you either reload the page, or undo.

The text box needs to be replaces. A return to the basic HTML text box, and no more this Java Script abomination is needed, or at least as an option like before, for no. Chrome users.

Despite their stubbornness and hard word that went into it... This really needs reverted to the old format until it actually fucking works. It's clear nobody tested it with firefox or edge in any way.

@colonel_mortis

@Slick

@Cat :^)  please for the love of god. It's not ready. It looks sooooo good.... But it's missing extremely basic functionality. It's difficult to even get tags on the same fucking line.

Nobody is expecting day 1 perfection, but this can't even pass as functional.

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

At least its not an EA game, the forums at least WORK

@Iamdarkbowser

Even if it didn't work. EA style forum would have in game purchases, season pass and DLC.

"Oh, you made 5 posts! It takes now 72h to recharge to post another time. You can use the orange gem of speed, for $2.99 to accelerate the process and get another 4 posts additionally"  "Sorry, You can only strike out text, you need the Basic text editor DLC for bold, italic and underline feature! $5.99. And $0.99 per color!"

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Even if it didn't work. EA style forum would have in game purchases, season pass and DLC.

"Oh, you made 5 posts! It takes now 72h to recharge to post another time. You can use the orange gem of speed, for $2.99 to accelerate the process and get another 4 posts additionally"  "Sorry, You can only strike out text, you need the Basic text editor DLC for bold, italic and underline feature! $5.99. And $0.99 per color!"

This is officially the most hilarious thing I have read in a while :D

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

I am unable to reproduce any of these issues using Edge 25 (with rendering engine v13, latest stable build) and Firefox 46. Aside from a bug with tagging, the editor works absolutely fine for me in both of those browsers, and I can only assume that it is also working for the majority of other people too, because there are no open bug reports with the forum software about anything to do with the editor being completely non-functional. The editor is not perfect, and I am well aware of that, but it works pretty well for me.

Also, there's no such thing as a HTML text box, unless you mean a textarea where you can edit raw HTML (which we have never had). We would like to have supported BBCode, but it was not possible to do so.

1 hour ago, JoeyDM said:

Despite their stubbornness and hard word that went into it... This really needs reverted to the old format until it actually fucking works. It's clear nobody tested it with firefox or edge in any way.

@colonel_mortis

@Slick

@Cat :^)  please for the love of god. It's not ready. It looks sooooo good.... But it's missing extremely basic functionality. It's difficult to even get tags on the same fucking line.

Nobody is expecting day 1 perfection, but this can't even pass as functional.

It is not physically possible for us to switch to a different editor. This editor is baked very deeply into the forum software, and, while I did try to replace it with an alternative editor, that just caused more issues than it solved.

If anyone has any specific bugs with the editor, or figure out why the editor works for me but not you, I will be happy to try to get them resolved, either myself or by passing it onto the forum developers. Bugs to do with moving quotes will be fixed, though I believe the timeline for that is "about 3 months" because it will require significant reworking of the back end.

HTTP/2 203

Apparently these issues are related to the mobile versions of the browsers, which changes things. Unfortunately, supporting mobile browsers is considerably more complicated, not least because it requires emulators to test.

I will be looking into these issues if I can mange to get an emulator working, but I can't promise anything.

HTTP/2 203

10 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Apparently these issues are related to the mobile versions of the browsers, which changes things. Unfortunately, supporting mobile browsers is considerably more complicated, not least because it requires emulators to test.

I will be looking into these issues if I can mange to get an emulator working, but I can't promise anything.

My dad had an android emulator for windows that booted up in like two seconds, but I do not remember what it was called... 

Edit: maybe it was http://www.andyroid.net/ or something

Testing with Edge right now and not having any issues yet @1823alex

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

10 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

You could use BlueStacks for it, it seems to work alright.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

8 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

My dad had an android emulator for windows that booted up in like two seconds, but I do not remember what it was called... 

Edit: maybe it was http://www.andyroid.net/ or something

2 minutes ago, 1823alex said:

You could use BlueStacks for it, it seems to work alright.

Android isn't the issue - I have an android device. The problem is Windows Phone, which is why there are edge bugs.

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

Android isn't the issue - I have an android device. The problem is Windows Phone, which is why there are edge bugs.

Oh okay. My bad. At school right now, which explains why I cant think ;) 

Ok so Firefox emoticons work now. I think the emoticon were (or some were) missing so it was screwing things up when I tried it.  Although, if you do an emoticon and hit Shift+Enter it doesn't convert it into one. Let me test if it converts once you post it: :)
[edit] ok that works[/edit]

For Edge, it looks like the engine between Mobile and desktop isn't the same, or the forum has web browser specific code so that it works on all of them, but is miss ID Edge into thinking it is something else. You can run Windows 10 Mobile under Hyper-V or through Visual Studio 2015 Community (free) Windows 10 Mobile app development (make a blank universal app project, and run it, the Windows 10 Mobile will start, hit the phone Start button, and now you should be able to start Edge.

Tonight, I can go more in details once I am back home from work,.

I hadn't noticed. Posting this comment from Firefox v 44.00 and I don't seem to be having any issues.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |