Add a Spacer to Windows 10 Task Bar

mclarence

I will be showing you how to add a spacer to your windows 10 task bar. Here is the final result:

BsNg9E0.png

Before starting you will have to disable the transparency of the task bar. This can be done shown in the spoiler below. Also download the provided icon file attached.

Spoiler

1. Open the start menu and click settings.

9HIBvjD.png

2. Head to Personalisation > Colours (or Colors) and disable "Make Start, taskbar, and action center transparent".

ky83zXY.png

Once you have completed the above steps, follow along with these steps.

1. Create a blank text file (with any editor, I used notepad) with the following contents -

@echo off
exit

and save the file as blank.bat and save it where ever you want.

2obEHcj.png

2. With that bat file create a shortcut to it and place it wherever you want.

Ykz9eAK.png

3. Right click the created the shortcut then click properties. Click change icon and locate the provided icon file.

r0wMsN6.png

3. Then in the "Target" textbox, add "explorer" at the start of it.

6z1NcS5.png

4. Click apply then ok.

5. Lastly drag the shortcut to your taskbar and you should end up with a spacer. To create multiple spacers, duplicate the shortcut and add that shortcut to the taskbar.

6. I also recommend that you make the file hidden. This can be done by going opening properties of the shortcut and clicking the general tab then ticking the hidden checkbox.

Untitled-2.ico

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.4 ghz (Turbo 3.9ghz) RAM: Trancsend 2x 8gb 1600mhz DDR3 (16GB) GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 Case: Cooler Master HAF922 Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 120GB Solid State Drive, Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive PSU: Cooler Master CX750 750w Power Supply.

Keyboard: Logitech G310 Mechanical Compact Keyboard Mouse: Logitech G302 Gaming Mouse Displays: 3 Monitors Operating System: Windows 10 Home

I'm assuming this spacer can be clicked to send the user to the desktop? Much like the button next to the clock? If so, that would be a hassle to avoid when clicking on apps within the taskbar itself. 

7 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

I'm assuming this spacer can be clicked to send the user to the desktop? Much like the button next to the clock? If so, that would be a hassle to avoid when clicking on apps within the taskbar itself. 

The spacer does nothing. It opens a command prompt and closes immediately.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.4 ghz (Turbo 3.9ghz) RAM: Trancsend 2x 8gb 1600mhz DDR3 (16GB) GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 Case: Cooler Master HAF922 Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 120GB Solid State Drive, Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive PSU: Cooler Master CX750 750w Power Supply.

Keyboard: Logitech G310 Mechanical Compact Keyboard Mouse: Logitech G302 Gaming Mouse Displays: 3 Monitors Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Well done and informative. I found it intriguing though for me personally I probably wont use it (maybe down the road I may change me mind) but I am sure someone will find it useful. ;)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 3 years later...

I performed all the step listed here, used the icon file provided and there's nothing transparent about it.  When pinned to the taskbar, it appears as solid black.  Anyone know of a source for a real transparent icon file?

• 11 months later...
On 1/12/2020 at 12:00 AM, Kenny19 said:

I performed all the step listed here, used the icon file provided and there's nothing transparent about it.  When pinned to the taskbar, it appears as solid black.  Anyone know of a source for a real transparent icon file?

Have you made sure your taskbar isn't transparent because it worked fine in mine , if you are sure you haven't got transparent taskbar then you can use this |
                                                                   |
                                                                   |
                                                                  V

transparent.ico