Temporary Air Cooler

Clanscorpia
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Yes, that would work just fine. Cooler mounting is identical across 115x sockets.

Can I get an Intel stock cooler of eBay for LGA1150 (They are nearly the exact same socket type right?) for an 6600K until I get watercooling? I don't want to fork for a 212 evo that I'll use for 4 months. Thanks!

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

The stock cooler would fit on the LGA 1151 socket, but I would recommend getting the 212 evo. It's $20. If you're getting water cooling you should have $20 sitting around to spend. 

3 minutes ago, Savir said:

The stock cooler would fit on the LGA 1151 socket, but I would recommend getting the 212 evo. It's $20. If you're getting water cooling you should have $20 sitting around to spend. 

Almost 40 bucks in good ol' Canada and the watercooling is going to cost so much I need to wait to buy it :P 40 bucks is around 1/8 of the money basic watercooling costs so I don't want to spend that much

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Almost 40 bucks in good ol' Canada and the watercooling is going to cost so much I need to wait to buy it :P 40 bucks is around 1/8 of the money basic watercooling costs so I don't want to spend that much

Then there's nothing else, if you don't want the 6600K to overheat.

It doesn't produce that much heat, I got 30 Degrees Celsius from 30 minutes of Prime95

Any PSU is modular if you try hard enough....

Yes, that would work just fine. Cooler mounting is identical across 115x sockets.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The link in your signature is broken but thanks!

Spoiler

AXIOM

10 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

The link in your signature is broken but thanks!

Uh, the link's not broken. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Uh, the link's not broken. 

It's not anymore but yesterday when I clicked it it said the post was private and I didn't have the permission to view it

Spoiler

AXIOM

And I'm planning on get an h100i GTX instead of custom watercooling. I think I'll spend 500 bucks on other parts of my setup like a nice chair and monitor. Thanks though!

Spoiler

AXIOM

22 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

Can I get an Intel stock cooler of eBay for LGA1150 (They are nearly the exact same socket type right?) for an 6600K until I get watercooling? I don't want to fork for a 212 evo that I'll use for 4 months. Thanks!

Is there any reason you're looking at getting a watercooler as opposed to an air cooler? Some really great ones on the market like the Noctua NH-D15 and Cryorig R1 Ultimate really put the 240mm AIO liquid coolers through their paces, whilst usually being cheaper and quieter (granted your case can fit them).

Just some food for thought.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

2 minutes ago, TheCaptain53 said:

Is there any reason you're looking at getting a watercooler as opposed to an air cooler? Some really great ones on the market like the Noctua NH-D15 and Cryorig R1 Ultimate really put the 240mm AIO liquid coolers through their paces, whilst usually being cheaper and quieter (granted your case can fit them).

Just some food for thought.

Read the post above yours but now I'm contemplating going for a Kraken X61 or a D15

Spoiler

AXIOM

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Read the post above yours but now I'm contemplating going for a Kraken X61 or a D15

That still didn't tell me a lot, the H100i GTX IS a liquid cooler. 

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

1 minute ago, TheCaptain53 said:

That still didn't tell me a lot, the H100i GTX IS a liquid cooler. 

It said I'm not going for custom watercooling, not no watercooling at all

Spoiler

AXIOM

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

It said I'm not going for custom watercooling, not no watercooling at all

Hence why I said, " Is there any reason you're looking at getting a watercooler as opposed to an air cooler?"

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

1 minute ago, TheCaptain53 said:

Hence why I said, " Is there any reason you're looking at getting a watercooler as opposed to an air cooler?"

Temps for overclocking, aesthetics, and the fact I can say 'I have watercooling'

Spoiler

AXIOM