New server for virtualization: Windows and Linux

Hi,

i want to build a small server to virtualize at least two server 1) Windows and 2) Linux, in future maybe one or two more servers. I would do it with ESXi free (user experience or other options maybe?). I plan to do smaller things like a small file server, backups, testing machine, etc. nothing that really requires a power

• I would like to use minimum a Intel i3 or a small Intel Xeon for future expand.
  • min. 8GB RAM (expandable to 32gb or more)
  • system disk: 120gb SSD (Samsung Evo 850, i had one left)
  • storage raid 5 or raid 10 with 4x 2TB 
  • motherboard should support my needs and be durable (I like Asus and I would like stick to it but it is not a must have)
  • psu: i don't like to waste energy, so I guess 80+gold?
  • case: a normal black case, with enough place for the disks
  • raid controller: do I need one?
  • what else did i forget?

Budget: 500-700$ - because it should be a beginner server.

Do someone have experience and recommendation for me?

Thanks in advance.

15 minutes ago, ruffio said:

Hi,

i want to build a small server to virtualize at least two server 1) Windows and 2) Linux, in future maybe one or two

If you aren't going to invest in ECC memory you should probably go for an 8320e, and get extra cores for virtualization

for the NAS portion you should run freeNAS potentially, and you can run virtual machines under freeNAS, but you never really want to virtualize your NAS, also freeNAS doesn't need a boot drive, might want one for virtual machines though, not sure.

otherwise get either WD red 2TB drives, or 4TB HGST drives, the 4tb drives are $159 or so USD

you should also get a UPS or battery back up system for it

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

ECC memory

i could run for ECC memory, their will never be critical data on the server (for the moment).

16 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

NAS portion

i already have a NAS (synology), i would use the server just for backups (raid 1/5/10).

My main problem is: i don't know for which motherboard, cpu and ram i should run? (raid controller on board or separate?)

20 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

UPS or battery back up system for it

thanks for that hint! :)

Just now, ruffio said:

i could run for ECC memory, their will never be critical data on the server (for the moment).

i already have a NAS (synology), i would use the server just for backups (raid 1/5/10).

My main problem is: i don't know for which motherboard, cpu and ram i should run? (raid controller on board or separate?)

thanks for that hint! :)

Aside from speed, a RAID controller mostly just gives you some protection against sudden power loss, but a UPS would do that as well if I'm not mistaken

if it's for back ups mostly, then ya probably just go for ECC, the i3 supports ECC you just want a board that supports it as well

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/cheap-nas-starting-point-i3-8gbs-of-ecc/93218

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

On 1.2.2016 at 0:53 AM, Streetguru said:

Aside from speed, a RAID controller mostly just gives you some protection against sudden power loss, but a UPS would do that as well if I'm not mistaken

if it's for back ups mostly, then ya probably just go for ECC, the i3 supports ECC you just want a board that supports it as well

thank you for the buying list, i am going to look and post my buying list here.

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like unRaid might be the best approach given the need to run VM's and NAS together