Selling on Ebay

DirkaFat

I'm thinking of selling for the first time, so...

How does the shipping work on Ebay? Who pays for it? Also, how do I "insure" the object I'm trying to sell? (as others recommend doing for the seller's protection)

You can either choose to foot the shipping or make the buyer pay it. Shipping is cheaper buying a label through eBay since they have an agreement with USPS (assuming you can scale and measure your boxes.)

IIRC when you buy labels through eBay it's automatically insured (up to certain amounts, I'm not sure), and I'm pretty sure it has delivery confirmation. You need delivery confirmation at the least to not get scammed, and I think 250 or 200+ you should buy signature confirmation(?) as normal delivery confirmation is not enough.

Error: 410

If you have Craiglist in your city go for that, Ebay ain't worth the time and trouble unless you are selling a lot of items continually.

You can either choose to foot the shipping or make the buyer pay it. Shipping is cheaper buying a label through eBay since they have an agreement with USPS (assuming you can scale and measure your boxes.)

IIRC when you buy labels through eBay it's automatically insured (up to certain amounts, I'm not sure), and I'm pretty sure it has delivery confirmation. You need delivery confirmation at the least to not get scammed, and I think 250 or 200+ you should buy signature confirmation(?) as normal delivery confirmation is not enough.

What exactly is a label?

What exactly is a label?

this guy. you print it out and just tape it to the box.

UPSShippingLabel.gif

eBay

You pay 5-10 dollars in listing fee's
10% of your gross profit (including shipping)

PayPal charges 3% of Net (gross-shipping)

So if you have 800 dollars and you charge 50 for shipping and it costs 50 to ship.

You pay 85+24+10=119 in fee's you pay, so you would be getting 681 dollars on an 800 dollar PC...

EDIT: To answer your question, I grab the shipping information given to me from PayPal (Make sure it says verified) and I go to FedEx and ship it.  FedEx doesn't offer insurance, but they charge a declared value which is the maximum liability they may claim in case of damage/lost in transit.  I recommend getting a shipping account as I save a TON because of it.

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

If you have Craiglist in your city go for that, Ebay ain't worth the time and trouble unless you are selling a lot of items continually.

Even so you're right about craigslist.  Or be like me and advertise everywhere and when you have a good track record like me, you get a TON of referrals :)

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

I said this in another thread and will say it in this one again

if you use craigslist always arrange the meeting place to do the exchange to be across the street from or near a bank with an atm machine for the times when your potential buyer shows up and says " I know we agreed on $100 as the price but I only brought $80... problem?"

just point the troll across the street to the bank to get the necessary funds

this guy. you print it out and just tape it to the box.

UPSShippingLabel.gif

Thanks. Do you know how returns/refunds work? Do I get to list the terms? Or does ebay force me to comply with a certain return policy?

Thanks. Do you know how returns/refunds work? Do I get to list the terms? Or does ebay force me to comply with a certain return policy?

When you do the listing I believe there is an option for no refunds. You can also state that in your item details box thingy. What are you selling? I would rather part out a system than trying to sell it on eBay.

When you do the listing I believe there is an option for no refunds. You can also state that in your item details box thingy. What are you selling? I would rather part out a system than trying to sell it on eBay.

Late reply, but I'm selling my system. (What do mean "part out"?)

Also, I don't really understand the purpose of the shipping labels. So apparently, shipping isn't as simple as putting the "from" and "to" addresses on the box and sending it through USPS?

So many questions...

Late reply, but I'm selling my system. (What do mean "part out"?)

Also, I don't really understand the purpose of the shipping labels. So apparently, shipping isn't as simple as putting the "from" and "to" addresses on the box and sending it through USPS?

So many questions...

oh, uh. I'm pretty sure you can't ship an entire system through USPS since that's rather large. You'll have to use UPS or Fedex and have them pay for the shipping or you ship it yourself.

Basically after the auction is completed, if you opt for them to pay shipping you'll have the price of shipping added to the amount paid to you, then you buy your own shipping option at UPS.

All you would technically need is confirmation and there's no need to write anything on the box since UPS will generate their own label for the box.

And when I say parting out I mean selling each part individually, i.e. CPU, PSU, GPU all separate.