Microsoft is testing underwater Data Centers

AlTech

I'm shore we can wave our cheap/ free backup goodbye now. Not that it'll keel me, but this is knot what I wanted when I came here to stay up to date on current events.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

25 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Put it in space, its cold, and you can just use solar

and use lasers

Ping would suck though.

EDIT: Missed the lasers. Clouds would still fuck that up though.

4 hours ago, Lethal Seraph said:

So you have to be able to scuba dive, or able to drive a submersible to do a service on those servers then? That actually sounds good on a resume.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks they should be that deep. As long as they're submerged it's fine. There's literally no reason why they would place them in the middle of the ocean, it could easily be just off-shore, or even in a lake.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Just now, Elapo said:

Ping would suck though.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks they should be that deep. As long as they're submerged it's fine. There's literally no reason why they would place them in the middle of the ocean, it could easily be just off-shore, or even in a lake.

What? you beam it with a big laser or something (im sure they could invent something)

This kind of idea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-space_optical_communication

here is a 1gbps network made with some cheapo laser pointers

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/128207-1gbps-wireless-network-made-with-red-and-green-laser-pointers

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

9 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

What? you beam it with a big laser or something (im sure they could invent something)

This kind of idea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-space_optical_communication

here is a 1gbps network made with some cheapo laser pointers

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/128207-1gbps-wireless-network-made-with-red-and-green-laser-pointers

yeah, I missed the laser part :P . My point still stands though.

We're still talking significant delay, even if we manage to ignore problems like clouds. 

Those satellites would have to be in geostationary orbit, which is about 35,786 km. That's 71,572 km when going both directions. Light travels at a speed of 300,000km/s, which means a delay of AT LEAST 238.6 ms. That's only the travel time of the light, not anything else. 

LASER isn't faster than radio waves, btw, both travel at light speed, and radio waves are omni directional, which makes "targeting" easier. A laser at this distance would be ridiculously hard to keep pointed at the right spot. Maybe throughput would be higher, but I'm not entirely sure of that.

5 minutes ago, Elapo said:

yeah, I missed the laser part :P . My point still stands though.

I am surprised you took my none serious idea so seriously in all fairness

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

I am surprised you took my none serious idea so seriously in all fairness

It's not because I use 3 numbers in my post that I take something very serious. 

Also, it's pretty hard to make out just from a short text-only post on a forum whether someone is being serious or just "joking".

I'd rather put it in a big river. Water moves faster, maintenance is WAY easier, it's not far away and there are more rivers out there.

10/10 microsoft, give me money.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Just freaking make data centers in Canada. Cooling is almost free and electricity is cheap.

1 hour ago, RexinOridle said:

-snip-

But, we cant endager the Black Bears and Mooses living there. You want that to happen!?

Groomlake Authority

1 hour ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

But, we cant endager the Black Bears and Mooses living there. You want that to happen!?

Not the moose and black bears man.

but what about melting ice caps and all that?  

dammit! when did I become a tree hugger?

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

On 2/1/2016 at 4:31 PM, ObeseWalrus said:

lolno, global warming does not work that way.

Yea it does.