Everything is broken, what do I do?

I installed fedora and messed around with it and decided I was sticking with windows. I booted into windows where I just did some web browsing, then weird thing started happening. The task bar and start menu froze and I couldn't do anything but eventually they came back. Then I opened file explorer and it just showed "working on it". I restarted to try to fix it and I couldn't boot into windows. I tried to boot back into fedora and that's fucked up too. It gives a error "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x0000008b" What should I do? I only have a windows 8.1 usb stick and I don't want to have to re upgrade plus I need my files.

If you have separate boot and storage drives, you can wipe the boot drive and then reinstall whatever OS you want. If you don't have two separate drives, I guess your files are screwed.

Quote me if you want me to reply.

Just now, infinitymdm said:

If you have separate boot and storage drives, you can wipe the boot drive and then reinstall whatever OS you want. If you don't have two separate drives, I guess your files are screwed.

I can get most of my files from a live usb on linux I guess but then I'd still have to get windows back

Or not. I keep getting an input/output error

First post on these forums...so here goes...

Do you have a prebuilt Windows PE laying around? Can you get access to one? I would boot into Windows PE and browse the drive. From there you can always copy your files/folders to another network location or even to a USB drive. If it were me, the first thing I would do is make sure that my files are safe. From there you can start to repair Windows.