Quadruple Your Network Speed for $100 with SMB 3.0 Multichannel!

To clarify, does this help if you have a standard NAS? Not talking about a DIY FreeNAS solution or something like that. Just pre built, empty NAS enclosures. Since after all, most of them only have 1 LAN port, so would bandwidth between the NAS and computer increase, or would the NAS's ethernet connection be a bottleneck?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

A qucik question, 

Thoses kind of NIC are they compatible with W7 X64?

Thanks

19 hours ago, Alpineb1 said:

Hello,

A qucik question, 

Thoses kind of NIC are they compatible with W7 X64?

Thanks

yes

How would the C2750D4I (Intel Octa Core Avoton C2750 Processor) perform? This is the MoBo Linus used for the 48TB NAS he build a year ago?

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I made some tests to try to get this work with Intel PRO/1000 server PT DUAL and ET QUAD Adapters on server and client. My CPU is a i5 at the smb client and a i7 at the smb server, each computer has 32GB RAM, harddiscs are SSD.

I found out that there are two things very important:

1.) Try a new clean installation of windows! Your existing system with Software etc. may not work even if you deinstall all your software, deacivate all services, reset configurations etc.!

2.) Configure your Desktop Windows to a HOMEGROUP, you know the symbol with three blue and one green ball in the control center of Windows! Not only workgroup, create a HOMEGROUP. It is not necassary to put your shared files in the homegroup shares like pictures and documents, because you can leave your data in your own network shared folders. The only important thing is just to create the HOMEGROUP, nothing more. And then, after creating a homegroup and joining the other PCs to the homegroup, its important to make a System REBOOT. And after restarting you get the BOOM.

Dont waste time with Powershell CMDlets to see if RSS is enabled or not. For me in all cases the Powershell said that RSS is not enabled, but it worked for me with Windows 8 and Windows 10, but not Windows 7 (but this was for sure my fault because I used my Windows 7 and not a clean installation of Windows 7). You dont need RDMA, subnets, LAGs or Intel ANS drivers.

And the results for the speed:

With the DUAL Adapter I get 220 MB/s which is fine.

But with the QUAD Adapter I only get 265 MB/s instead of 440 MB/s!

The only constellation I got the real BOOM with 440 MB/s was from server2012 to server2012 with independent NIC Teams at both sides and cables directly from PC to PC without a switch. And this is the problem for Windows 7,8,10: The Intel drivers dont have the "switchindependent mode", so you cant build NIC teams in the "switchindependent mode" like in server 2012, and so you cannot get the 440 MB/s on Desktop Windows. Correct me if I am wrong!

Do you know the reason why ? Do you really get 440 MB/s on Windows 7/8/10, not only on server 2012 ?

Yours

• 5 months later...

Would this allow me to get faster upload speeds or just make sure im maxing out what im getting from my ISP?

5 minutes ago, shrect said:

Would this allow me to get faster upload speeds or just make sure im maxing out what im getting from my ISP?

no & no

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

9 hours ago, shrect said:

In every conceivable situation, your home network will always be more than enough to max our what you get from your ISP... if it's not, you're wasting money paying for speed you cant use.  And for that to happen, you would need a very high end plan and a very crappy home network :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

15 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

In every conceivable situation, your home network will always be more than enough to max our what you get from your ISP... if it's not, you're wasting money paying for speed you cant use.  And for that to happen, you would need a very high end plan and a very crappy home network :P 

until recently we had a 40 Megabit down connection with a WRT54G router that at most got 20ish down over wifi, so in that scenario the OLD Wifi was limiting the speed of the network, it really depends on the last time you upgraded your home network, if your still running the cheap crap from 10-15 years ago that you bought when you first got High Speed internet and your ISP has bumped up speeds by leaps and bounds it is very conceivable that your network is holding back your internet.

4 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

until recently we had a 40 Megabit down connection with a WRT54G router that at most got 20ish down over wifi, so in that scenario the OLD Wifi was limiting the speed of the network, it really depends on the last time you upgraded your home network, if your still running the cheap crap from 10-15 years ago that you bought when you first got High Speed internet and your ISP has bumped up speeds by leaps and bounds it is very conceivable that your network is holding back your internet.

yeah, this just proves my point ... it is possible for this to be a problem but it's probably pretty rare and easy to fix :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

yeah, this just proves my point ... it is possible for this to be a problem but it's probably pretty rare and easy to fix :P 

easy to fix, for sure, but I'd bet you among the technically challenged average person it's probably more common place then you think. My scenario was at my work and I only finally just talked them into it after the constant connection dropping of the router was getting annoying enough, I also swapped out my Wireless at home, I had a cheaper Buffalo WHR-1166D that I realized only had 10/100 for the 4 ethernet connections (despite having a gigabit input) so in that case the wireless was actually faster then the wired, I just upgraded to a WRT1900ACS (when it was on Black Friday at Amazon for $120) so I had Gigabit connections on everything and could easily stream 4k content over the network while still browsing the internet.

3 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

easy to fix, for sure, but I'd bet you among the technically challenged average person it's probably more common place then you think. My scenario was at my work and I only finally just talked them into it after the constant connection dropping of the router was getting annoying enough, I also swapped out my Wireless at home, I had a cheaper Buffalo WHR-1166D that I realized only had 10/100 for the 4 ethernet connections (despite having a gigabit input) so in that case the wireless was actually faster then the wired, I just upgraded to a WRT1900ACS (when it was on Black Friday at Amazon for $120) so I had Gigabit connections on everything and could easily stream 4k content over the network while still browsing the internet.

This raises another good point - all the the issues are caused by wifi.  Any gigabit network (which could be quite old really) will handle 99% of today's internet speeds and will probably continue to do so for many years to come.  Wifi on the other hand could already be holding back a fair number of plans, and needs to be updated regularly as it falls behind.

On 2/3/2016 at 4:50 PM, DustySkunk said:

What are the chances of doing something like this with wireless?

Zero. We are still at about 867 Mbps speed more or less with 5GHz adapter cards.

On 2/22/2016 at 3:14 AM, azazelpy said:

yes

I thought Linus said it only works on Windows 8 and above?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

After watching Linus video I said ... Hmmm I should give it a try too because I have a Qnap with 4 x 1 Gb ethernet connections.

Now, my system components are: Motherboard Asus VIII hero, processor i7-6700k, M2 SSD, and another SSD 500Gb. 

I bought from ebay the next NIC: IBM Intel Pro 1000 PT Quad Port Server Adapter PCI-e - 39Y6138 

The card is power up because when I plug and Ethernet cable in the first socket the LED is lit up green (permanently). Also when the PC is booting up all the LED's are flashing. 

Now I tried to change from windows the settings of the PCIe to: Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3 and Auto. Swap the PCIe lanes, nothing. 

Tried in a Dell computer at work, the same result, the PC doesn't see the card.

Funny thing is that in my computer when I first power up the PC with the card in, the PC install some drives ( picture attached ).

I tried also in windows 7 and 10.

Can anyone help me with this card ? Why my computer doesn't see it ? What the problem can be ? Any suggestions ? 

Best regards,

Liviu

blob.jpg

blob (1).jpg

blob (2).jpg

blob (3).jpg