Quadruple Your Network Speed for $100 with SMB 3.0 Multichannel!

Yes you can quadruple your network speed with a few bucks and a feature that's built into Windows 8, 8.1, and 10!

Intel Quad Port Gigabit Network Card
Amazon: http://geni.us/1rLL
Ebay: http://ebay.to/1NIN2f6

Unmanaged Gigabit Switch
Amazon: http://geni.us/3hh0
Ebay: http://ebay.to/1Uzcauy

Very interesting! :) Good job Linus!

┏(◑̃.◑̃)┛ Totally Not Dangerous ┏(◐̃.◐̃)┛

i7 4790K / 16GB RAM \ 250GB SSD

Gotta update everything now

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Very interesting!

I was hoping that we might be able to do this with our home network, but sounds like the Celeron 1037u of our server box wouldn't cut the mustard (and the i5 3570's in two of the 3 gaming boxes sound a bit iffy too).

The Cheap SFF Wonder -- Turning a Core 2 Duo SFF machine into a useful member of computer society!

i5 3570 -- AS.Rock Z77 Pro3 -- 12GB DDR3 -- R9 380X -- 840Evo 500GB/1TB HDD 

I speak the honest truth with a bit of snark mixed in. I'm sorry if it doesn't line up with your beliefs.

Would this make my computers Internet quicker? Sorry for the stupid question, I'm new to this stuff.

1 minute ago, BricksForEddie said:

Would this make my computers Internet quicker? Sorry for the stupid question, I'm new to this stuff.

No

how do you use all the four ports on windows 10? i have a intel dual port nic but whit this issue 

Detailed Description Driver

Important Note:  Creating Intel® ANS teams and VLANs on Microsoft Windows® 10 is currently not supported.  As a result, when created, teams and VLANs do not pass traffic.  We expect that ANS will be supported on Microsoft Windows 10 client in a future release.

@LinusTech

1 hour ago, BricksForEddie said:

Your internet speed is limited by the bandwidth you get from your ISP. If somehow you for example got a 1Gbps connection to your home but only have a 100Mbps port on your computer it could in theory help but it is more likely that your maximum internet speed is much lower than the connection speed of your NIC so it probably will have no effect on the internet speed.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Used to just like and fly by but not sure which one to choose now :D

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Do Windows 10 support link aggregation a.k.a. link teaming a.k.a. link bonding a.k.a. portchannel / etherchannel a.k.a. 802.3ad out of the box? I know this feature was introduced natively to Windows in Server 2012, but I didn't know it is in bog standard Windows 10 Home or such. Otherwise you'd obviously need network card driver with teaming support. Example: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/etherchannel/98469-ios-etherchannel.html I did not also know it eats up so much CPU. But it may depend on a driver, though.

You may be getting lower transfer speeds, because there is certain way how ethernet frames get distributed over those multiple links. Normally switch has some algorithm that makes hash of for example source and destination MAC address, source and destination IP address, protocol and port. This is safest way, things like "spray and pray" by sending out each frame different interface are not used - ethernet has no error correction, no retransmits, and no way to know in what order those frames need to go, this will be up to driver and higher protocols to reassemble it all which costs CPU. (Granted there are switch manufacturers able to do that on links between their switches, like Brocade, but then we are in the world where switches cost multiple orders of magnitude more than home setup). New Windows use 2 TCP sessions for their file transfer, so you may see improvement, but to see better numbers try with multiple concurrent file transfers, for example using FTP client and server, or tools like iperf https://iperf.fr/ with multiple sessions (for those scared of command line there is Java-based GUI jperf)

I guess keyword here is to look for network card with driver, and a switch with (LACP) Link Aggregation Control Protocol support, or 802.3ad. Those managed so called "smart" switches probably support it. This way it is assured they are standard compliant and will work.

Sidenote: Linus' note about "expensive network equipment" made me chuckle, because coincidentally last week at work we finished rebuilding a datacentre with a multitude of switches inteconnected with 40-gigabit links for a total price of around 3 million USD.

So now it's time to fill every available PCIe slot with these 4 port cards and see if we can make RAM speed the bottleneck in a network file transfer from ramdisk to ramdisk :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Interesting idea, but for me at least it wasn't broken down enough. As a long time view I was lost throughout the video and if I wanted to make one of these myself this would be far from enough.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So now it's time to fill every available PCIe slot with these 4 port cards and see if we can make RAM speed the bottleneck in a network file transfer from ramdisk to ramdisk :D

I remember joking about this "back in the day", it was like mid to late nineties, when hard drives were really really small, and really really slow. With friends we joked about mounting disk from server's RAM drive. As documented by few serious studies from 1999 in PDF form scattered over the internet, somebody took it seriously.

If you are interested in this topic, check out things like Infiniband, and now newer more or less working to be standardized RDMA (Remode Direct Memory Access) over Converged Ethernet. They read and write remote computer's memory directly, bypassing operating system and CPU completely, making it super fast. You need special adapter supporting this, though. There is also implementation of this working over TCP/IP, called iWARP, which could potentially allow such memory access over internet....?

11 hours ago, BricksForEddie said:

No Just the Network Transfer speeds . Your ISP is going to be your major hurdle.

This will answer my dilemma in a future setup I have planned.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Ok so I'm trying this with the following configs

i7-3770k

MSI b75 gaming 5

D-link dge-530T LAN card + onboard nic

Windows 10

SSD as test

i7-2600k

MSI p67a-gd65

Windows server 2012R2

D-link 530T LAN card + onboard nic

SSD as test

So I can't get multichannel to balance accross nics. Does anyone have any info. The video doesn't really explain the main culprit as to why it worked when booting off the skylake pc SSD.

5 hours ago, Diceair said:

Ok so I'm trying this with the following configs

i7-3770k

MSI b75 gaming 5

D-link dge-530T LAN card + onboard nic

Windows 10

SSD as test

i7-2600k

MSI p67a-gd65

Windows server 2012R2

D-link 530T LAN card + onboard nic

SSD as test

So I can't get multichannel to balance accross nics. Does anyone have any info. The video doesn't really explain the main culprit as to why it worked when booting off the skylake pc SSD.

From what I understand in my research, you can not combine the on-board nic with an add-in multi-port nic.  That may be your issue.  However, I'm still doing research.  

This video got a lot of flack in the comments (from what I saw) for not being a full guide. Shame really. These video formats are my favourite. Where something "quirky" is explored and an example of its use cases is shown. 

People don't seem to get the fun of these video unless they can 100% replicate them. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

any info on if this would help and unraid server. My setup is an 8 core box that runs a couple vms and a lot of docker stuff any additional throughput to my plex server and vms would be great. 

Teaming NICs will not work.

When teaming, the switch also needs to support link aggregation.

This does not mean you can't get 4GB out of a machine, it would be 4 separate 1GB connections on the same IP, so machine 1-4 can all get 1GBps transfer of files, while the server says 4 GBps.

I myself have been trying this, and have had no success yet..

What are the chances of doing something like this with wireless?

4 minutes ago, DustySkunk said:

What are the chances of doing something like this with wireless?

Probably low. I don't think wireless at least consumer grade equipment is capable at this time. (I may be wrong though)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Does anyone know if FreeNAS supports SMB 3.0?  I'm interested in doing this between my desktop and my FreeNAS server.