From OS X to Windows 10

Rubenis

Well here is my story.

I am entusist grade photographer and videographer. I have benn constantly upgrading my gear, including PC.

So a about one and a half year ago I had a good system - i7 2600, Z77 MB, 16GB RAM, SSD and HDDs and GTX 650 Ti for GPU acceleration (works on both Windows and Mac)

About that time in my country the cryptovirus striked quite hard.

Since I did not want to loose all my work I did switch from Windows 8 to OS X - my PC allmost OBB working with everything. OS X I did purchase legally, so please - I know it is against EULA of Apple, but at least I have legal copy of Mavericks.

But few days ago I started to think about moving back to Windiows, this time 10th.

So I did fairy easy test for my needs - took one spare SSD, that was the same model as boot drive of OS X and put Windows 10 on my machine.

I did two tests - exporting RAW to JPG photos and simple 4K video footage export to Full HD in Premiere Pro, to see was OS X faster than Windows or not.

Well in Lightroom 6 PC was faster by abouy 15%, but in Premiere pro difference in export times was allmost 20% in favour of Windows.

Now I tempted to switch back to Windows, since it gives me better performance in the same woarkloads and specs.

What do you think? Should I switch back or still keep working on a PC-Mac??

Intel i7 2600 @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI Z77-GD55 | Crucial 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz | Intel 330 SSD 180Gb | Western Digital Black 1Tb | Western Digital Green 2Tb | Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti | OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W | Thermaltake Commander MS-I case | OS X Yosemite | Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 10

Intel Xeon 1230 V2 | Gigabyte GA-H61M-S | Kingston 4Gb RAM 1333Mhz | Seagate 1TB  | Fractial Design Arc mini | Windows 10

PC but in an ideal world (IDK about you but) I would have a PC and a Mac. Both are good at different things.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

PC but in an ideal world (IDK about you but) I would have a PC and a Mac. Both are good at different things.

Well I can not buy Mac, because they are terribly expensive in here. And since this PC is just pure workstation, and all my other needs are covered by tablet, phone and SmartTv, so this WS is my only concern right now.

Intel i7 2600 @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI Z77-GD55 | Crucial 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz | Intel 330 SSD 180Gb | Western Digital Black 1Tb | Western Digital Green 2Tb | Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti | OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W | Thermaltake Commander MS-I case | OS X Yosemite | Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 10

Intel Xeon 1230 V2 | Gigabyte GA-H61M-S | Kingston 4Gb RAM 1333Mhz | Seagate 1TB  | Fractial Design Arc mini | Windows 10

Well I can not buy Mac, because they are terribly expensive in here. And since this PC is just pure workstation, and all my other needs are covered by tablet, phone and SmartTv, so this WS is my only concern right now.

That's why I said...... "in an ideal world". This ideal world I speak of is where money is no object. So for  now just stick with PCs.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

What do you think? Should I switch back or still keep working on a PC-Mac??

There is only ONE good answer for this question: Do whatever you want.

If you think the time invested (perhaps a day or two) in migrating your OS, applications, software, files, etc. from a hackintosh OSX back to Windows is worth it, then do it.  Otherwise if that interferes with your schedule or other daily activities like school or work or anything else... well.

I'm also a photographer and videographer, and I have a MacBook Pro (OSX) as my portable workstation and a Windows 10 desktop (ok, floortop as I am using a Cosmos II case) at home.  The MacBook and the Windows workstation are both great for editing photos, but for video the MacBook serves as my in-the-field/away-from-home/quick-and-dirty video editing machine, but for the serious edits I wait till I get back home to my workstation.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

If you think the time invested (perhaps a day or two) in migrating your OS, applications, software, files, etc. from a hackintosh OSX back to Windows is worth it, then do it.  

Well since a lot of files are in NAS, then it would take much less time - basically it is Windows install + drivers and then programs.

Performance gains is the tempting part of this step. Windows would save me time and the time is money.